We need Rosewood parents in attendance - your feedback will make a difference
On Thursday, January 7 at 6:00 p.m. in the Sullivan Middle School auditorium, Superintendent Dr. Kelly Pew will provide an opportunity for public review of the possible schools of choice options. At this public meeting, options that have been developed as a result of months of discussion and input from a choice committee comprised of parents, teachers, and community representatives will be presented.
You are invited so we can gather feedback from our stakeholders.
Presently, the following schools offer various models of choice including school-wide programs and school-within-a-school programs:
- Children's School at Sylvia Circle (Montessori)
- Ebinport Elementary School (Language Immersion)
- Northside Elementary School for the Arts (Arts Integration)
- Oakdale Elementary School (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math)
- Richmond Drive Elementary School (Language Immersion)
- Rosewood Elementary International School (Language Immersion and International Baccalaureate Early Years Program)
- Saluda Trail Middle School (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math)
- Sullivan Middle School (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program)
- Sunset Park Center for Accelerated Studies (Gifted & Talented)
Options presented will address the choice committee's desire to increase accessibility and access to programs, increase diversity within each program, improve facilities to accommodate unique needs of choice programs, and address under and over enrolled schools.
How does this impact the annual Choice Fair and Open Enrollment?
The School Board has suspended the requirement (Administrative Rule JBCC-R Local School Choice) to host the choice fair, typically held in the first semester, to a later date. The choice fair will be hosted on two dates in March 2016 -- Saturday, March 12 and Tuesday, March 15. Open enrollment, which typically opens the third Saturday in January and remains open until the end of February, has also been suspended. The enrollment timeline will be established as soon as possible following school board approval of the schools of choice plan.
What is the timeline for a decision?
From September to November, the school choice committee met to review the current state of school choice in Rock Hill Schools and recommend changes to district administration. Plans developed as a result of this series of input meetings will be presented publicly on Thursday, January 7, 2016, for community review. The next presentation will take place during a January 12, 2016, special school board work session. Further discussion will take place at the February 8, 2016, school board work session with a vote scheduled for the school board business meeting on February 22, 2016.
Where can I review the work of the Choice Committee?
Meeting agendas, presentation materials, minutes, and requested documentation and data will be made available on this page, click here.