Lockport City School District
New York State Testing
In a few weeks, the New York State Grades 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Tests will be administered to students. The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has provided a summary of the changes that were made to the Grades 3-8 English Language Arts and Mathematics Tests over the past several years. The changes are below.
- Fewer testing sessions. Last year, the Grades 3-8 ELA and Math Tests were reduced from three test sessions per subject to only two sessions per subject, meaning each subject will have two days of testing instead of three. With fewer test sessions, each test will have fewer questions than in past years, lessening test fatigue for students and better enabling them to demonstrate what they know and are able to do.
- The tests continue to be untimed so students who are still working on their exams will be allowed to continue to work, within the confines of the regular school day.
- Test questions reviewed and written by New York State Teachers. Hundreds of New York State educators were involved in creating and reviewing questions for 2019 Grades 3-8 ELA and Math Tests and selecting the questions for the test forms.
Teacher and Principal Evaluation/APPR
- Student performance on the 2019 Grades 3-8 ELA and Mathematics Tests will have no employment-related consequences for teacher and principal evaluations. This means no teachers or principals in New York State public schools will be affected by the results of the 2019 Grades 3-8 ELA and Math Tests.
Release of Test Questions and Instructional Reports
- Test questions and instructional reports will be released before the end of the school year. Like the past several years, the State Education Department will release 75-percent of questions from the 2019 tests and the instructional reports for educators on or around June 1. You can view 2018 test questions on EngageNY.
The ELA exam will be given on two consecutive school days of your school’s choosing between April 2 - April 4, and the math exam will be given on two consecutive school days of your school’s choosing between May 1 - May 3. The Lockport City School District dates are as follows:
Grades 3-8 English Language Arts
- Administration Dates: Tuesday, April 2 - Wednesday, April 3
- Make-Up Dates: Friday, April 5 - Tuesday, April 9
Grades 3-8 Mathematics
- Administration Dates: Wednesday, May 1 - Thursday, May 2
- Make-Up Dates: Monday, May 6 - Wednesday, May 8
Grade 4 and Grade 8 Science Performance Test
- Administration Date: Wednesday, May 22
- Make-Ups must be given within the testing window
Grade 4 and Grade 8 Science Written
- Administration Date: Monday, June 3
- Make-Ups: Tuesday, June 4 - Friday, June 7
You can find more information about the state tests on the State Education Department’s website. Please contact your child’s teacher or principal if you have questions related to New York State Testing.