North Plains Elementary Newsletter
We love serving your child(ren) at NPES!
Greetings from Principal Petrick!
Thank you for the opportunity to connect more during last week’s Soar Time afterschool. Partnering in your child’s education experience is a high value and priority. In an effort to connect with all families, the next Soar Time is in the early evening on Oct. 2nd from 5pm-6pm open house style! This is time set aside to connect more with the principal, gather specifics about our school goals, and share your perspective about your child’s learning experiences at our school.
Learning happens when attendance is consistent! Regular, on-time attendance is essential to students’ education. Too many absences - excused or unexcused - can keep students from succeeding in school and in life. Did you know that missing just two days of school per month means a student loses 10% of their instruction for the school year? Learn more about the importance of attendance, download an attendance tracker, and see support strategies on our website. Of course, attendance does not take priority over your health! If you are too sick for school, please stay home and access your school work remotely until you are feeling better. We have formal attendance rewards at each semester, yet celebrate efforts to maintain 90% or better throughout the school year!
IMPORTANT DETAILS YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS:
- OUR MAIN FUNDRAISER: Fund Run on Thurs., Sept. 28th!
Chromebook Agreement- must be signed and returned by EACH student by Oct. 1st!
- School hours: 7:45 - 2:05, students should arrive no earlier than 7:25am and no later than 7:40am
- THIS WEDNESDAY (and every Wed.) dismissal is at 1:35pm!
- Going Home Plan sheets go home with your student(s) this week as well. Please fill out and return to the school as soon as you can.
- Health sensitive information and/or student medication needs to be submitted in person between weekday hours of 7:30-3pm.
- NO SCHOOL for students- Staff Development on Mon., Sept. 25th
Fun'd run packets went home today!!!
Recess fun and Games
Learning is fun too!!!
Ways to be involved!
Hidden Creek Park West, designed as an inclusive and accessible park and playground for people of all abilities, is now opened to the public.
October 19, 6:00 PM at the Hillsboro School District Administration Office
SCHOOL GARDEN CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC:
Throughout this summer and very recently, our garden materials and plant-life have been mishandled and in some cases, destroyed beyond repair. You can imagine the time, effort, and resources that have gone into re-creating our garden space for our students to deepen and extend their learning. It is too precious to risk to continue to have it opened to all. It is our understanding that children not attended by adult supervision have attempted to build forts, pick produce, and/or be creative with other materials that unfortunately compromise the healthy function of this space. Thank you for your support, care, and diligence in passing this update to your children and neighbors. If you are willing or able to help restore our garden, please call our office to offer what you can! Our office hours are between 7:30am and 3:30pm weekdays.
- HSD school calendar HERE.
- It is time to log in to ParentVUE to update our information. This is critical to ensure we have updated phone numbers, emergency contacts, addresses, etc. Please take 10 minutes to log in and update your information here.
All parents need to park in the student pick up and drop off parking lot by the undercover. Parking in the staff parking lot in front of the school is not an option as it causes safety concerns.
- School grounds are only accessible by families AFTER students have completed dismissal. This is closer to 2:10pm. School grounds open to all with adult supervision until 3:15pm; after 3:15pm, schools grounds accessible and up to discretion of parent/guardian for supervision.
- Please call the office by 1:30pm M,T, TH, F and by 1:00pm on Wednesdays for any pick up changes. Notify the office if someone will pick up your student other than their primary adults who come on a regular basis. If not notified the adult will be asked to go into the office while the parent is contacted and the adult picking up ID can be verified
When a Lunch account surpasses $50 as a negative balance, a letter notification and a free and reduced application are mailed to the household address (monthly). The letter includes contact information and the offer of establishing a repayment plan to bring the account(s) current. Sign-up for Free and Reduced Lunch (this is NOT automatic for 2022-23 school year) - Nutrition Services / Apply for Meal Benefits / More information
- Health and Safety: Please report absences on our attendance line 503-844-1633 or if calling the school number select option #2. Please do not call the office directly for absence reporting. It greatly helps us to ensure accurate records when reported on attendance line. Remember to state all your child's symptoms when reporting an absence.
Medications at school & Health Management Plans If your child will need to take any medications at school or have items on hand for emergencies, you will need to fill out this form and return it to the office. Our nurse and/or health room staff will review and accept medications. Please note that cough drops are considered a medication and needs to be checked in to the office - please do not send these to school with your child.
If your child has a medical or health condition that requires specific accommodations, supports, or changes to their schedule, please reach out to our office so we can connect you to our school nurse. Some students may require a Health Management Plan
North Plains Elementary
M, T, Th, & F = 7:25am to 2:05pm
W = 7:25am to 1:35pm
Office hours are from 7:30am - 3:15pm for our office team to help you with any needs. Students should arrive no earlier than 7:25 am.
LISTEN TO OUR DISTRICT HOT NEWS AS A PODCAST HERE
FOLLOW US on Instagram @npsoar