Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of December 2, 2013
Attention 4th and 5th graders! Battle of the Books is about to begin!
The first Battle of the Books practice will be Tuesday, December 3rd, 2:30-3:00! Students MUST be picked up no later than 3:15!
How to participate in Battle of the Books (BoB) at Fork Shoals:
- Read a minimum of 3 (preferably 5) of the 10 books listed below by the beginning of December.
- Attend practice sessions on Tuesday afternoons (2:30-3:00) in the library starting in December continuing through April.
- Read at least 6 of the 10 books by the beginning of January.
- Read all 10 books by the beginning of February.
This year's Battle of the Books titles are:
- Double Dog Dare by Lisa Graff
- Freaky Fast Frankie Joe by Lutricia Clifton
- Leepike Ridge by N.D. Wilson
- Pie by Sarah Weeks
- Plunked by Michael Northrop
- The Adventures of Beanboy by Lisa Harkrader
- The Humming Room by Ellen Potter
- The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Waiting for the Magic by Patricia MacLachlan
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
See Ms. Knight if you'd like more information on Battle of the Books.
Show us your stockings!
All entries must be book- or library-related and should be turned in to Ms. Knight by Friday, December 13th.
During the week before winter break, the contest entries will be showcased in the library, and judges will come by to select their favorite stockings! The winner will receive a gift basket full of books!
Work with your family to create a stocking that shows your creative talents and your love of reading!
Send in your Shelfies!
What's a "shelfie?" It's a picture of you in front of your bookshelf!
Ms. Knight will be creating a display of "shelfies" after the holiday break, and she wants your pictures! The display will feature teachers, students, and even parents!
Digital photos are preferred and should be sent to Ms. Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the name of the person(s) in the picture!
Book of the Week: Little Dog Lost
Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic by Monica Carnesi is nominated for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.
Little Dog Lost is a true story about a dog who was lost on a sheet of ice. In a short time, he traveled over 70 miles down the Vistula River in Poland and into the Baltic Sea. Early rescue attempts failed, and the little dog drifted further away. Eventually, however, the crew of a research vessel, The Baltica, spotted the dog and, after several tries, finally rescued him!
Following the dog's rescue, he was renamed Baltic (after the ship that saved him), and he became a member of the research team's crew. No one really knows how Baltic came to be in the predicament that garnered international attention, but it is clear that Baltic found a home after being lost for so long.
2nd Quarter Reading Challenge has begun!
The 2nd Quarter Reading Challenge began on Monday, October 28th. Once again, K5-2nd grade students are challenged to read 30 books (or more) this quarter. 3rd-5th grade students are challenged to read at least 500 pages!
Reading logs were placed in teachers' boxes and handed out to students. Additional reading logs can be found here. The Reading Challenge logs for the 2nd quarter will be due to Ms. Knight on Tuesday, January 21st.
Dates to Remember:
- December 2 - Progress reports
- December 3 - Skate Night, 6-8pm
- December 6 - Spirit Day
- December 9 - PTA meeing & 2nd grade play
- December 10 - Club & class pictures; Chorus performance; Chick-Fil-A Night, 5-8pm
- December 20 - Spirit Day; Last day before Winter Break