May 31 - June 3 at Central Elementary
Thanks for Your Help!
This Week at Central
Monday, May 3
- Memorial Day/ No School for Students or Staff
Tuesday. May 31
- Grade 4 (music, phys. ed., and classroom) Trip to Williams Property
- STAR Math Assessment continues to June 3
- Teacher Interviews 8 am - 6 pm (principals) in the Alumni Room/Please use alternate printer location so as not to disturb interviews.
- Health Education Meeting in Library (6-7:30 PM)
Wednesday, June 1
- June 1...Staff Meeting (Agenda: Student Dismissal; Teacher Data Report Example); Staff questions about end of school year/start of next year.
- DRA Assessment/STAR Math Assessment
Thursday. June 2
- Tornado Drill
- Team Leader Meeting
- DRA Assessment/STAR Math Assessment
- Lance @ admin. for principals' meeting (9:30 - noon)
Friday, June 3
- DRA ends (enter in illuminate by June 6)
- PTO Color Walk in PM
- June 6...Teacher Data due to Lance; B. Smith and McDunnah to ForMar (9-2); Grade 4 to Hahn orientation from 9-10:30 AM; Field Day Grade 4 in PM; DHS Graduation in evening
- June 7...Evaluation Post-conferences begin today through June 16 by appointment TBD; Field Day Grade 1 in PM; Inservice on Everyday Math - Grade 1 AM/Grade 3 PM; 5th Grade Parent Orientation (current 4th grade parents) at 6PM in Hahn Cafeteria/Gym
- June 8...Lane & Long to ForMar from 9-2; Field Day Grade Grade 3 in PM; Inservice on Everyday Math - Grade 2 AM/ Grade 4 PM; Grade 1 ELA PD at Central from 4:15 - 6:15)
- June 9...T. Smith & Parrott to ForMar from 9-2; Field Day Grade 2 in PM; ELA PD at Central for Grade 2 from 4:15-6:15 PM
- June 10...Lance out of building for PM; Grade cut-offs, report card assembly begins
- June 13...DPA CMC (4:15 - 6:15 PM); Report Grades and comments in by 9 PM; Board of Education Meeting @ 7 PM
- June 14...Report Cards printed; Grade 2 to Potter Park Zoo
- June 15...Staff Meeting (pending need... but do stop in for a donut!)
- June 16...1/2 student day with dismissal @ 11:35 AM; End of Year Luncheon @ 12:15 PM
- June 17...Student 1/2 day with dismissal @ 11:35 AM / Last student day* (*teachers may check out if finished on June 17 by 4:30 PM: Checkout will begin at 2:30 PM)
- June 20...1/2 teacher day/Last Teacher Day; Report Cards mailed home at noon
- June 23...Building closes to public for summer at 4 PM
- August 8...Office re-opens to the public
- August 10...Student Check-in 12-6 PM in cafeteria
- August 11...Student Check-in 4-8 PM in cafeteria
- August 15...Teacher Report Day, Opening Staff Meeting & Work Day for Teachers and parapros
- August 16...Teacher Evaluation Inservice; workday for paras TBD
- August 17...Everyday Math Inservice for Teachers and Parapros; Open House 5-6:30 PM
- August 18-19...Teachers & paras do not work; Office open
- August 22...First Day for Students
Cardinal Focus for the Week
- Represent yourself, your family and your school in an exemplary manner;
- Respect hosts and presenters;
- Respect the property of the places we visit so that others can enjoy future experiences;
- Follow Cardinal Code on the bus while traveling to and from events (it's a privilege to have buses available!);
- Listen to the directions and guidance of your teachers at all times;
- Let the leader in you shine!
Please remember to brief parent chaperons on student expectations as well as the duties involved in chaperoning a field trip. Make sure to work with my office to plan for student medical needs and supplies well in advance of the date of your event.
Thanks for investing in our students through your efforts to "broaden" their experiences!
The Last Weeks of the School Year
To help with the restroom issue I expect teachers to directly supervise students in a "class break" routine when more than one person is dismissed from the classroom. Teacher discretion may still be exercised if only ONE student is dismissed via "Hall Pass" at a time. Due to the fact that some of the mischief has been "coed" I am defining one as one student versus one boy and one girl.
Recently, dismissal has also posed an additional challenge for us. With warmer weather and after school baseball and softball leagues we are beginning to see an increase in parent pick-up, students riding bikes, and students walking home. it has become harder to track who is going where. Therefore, effective immediately and continuing through the end of the school year, I am asking classroom teachers to work as grade levels to line students up for dismissal in the order they are dismissed, monitor that students are lined up according to their tags, and complete a sweep of hallways after the last group is dismissed. We have had an issue with students dilly dallying in hallways and not reporting to the cafeteria for parent pick-up. We have also had a recent repeat issue with students planning to not go home and walking off school grounds without anyone noticing. This, of course, is a MAJOR safety concern. Additional procedures have been implemented to assist some students in getting to their bus and I will be working with others to look at a change in our overall dismissal procedures for the next school year. However, for the remainder of this year I need the help of all instructional staff (class load and non-class load teachers) in monitoring students as they leave the building.
Thank you so much for working together in order to put students first and ensure they follow their appropriate dismissal plan.