Buckingham Elementary School
The Mighty Knight Connection - April 2013 - Issue 8
Central Bucks: Kindergarten-Sixth Grade Registration
Do you have an incoming Kindergarten student or First-Grader? Does your neighbor? Spread the word! Early registration helps with future planning and contributes to more accurate class size allocations. Please be sure to register with Central Bucks School District Registration Department for any child starting in Central Bucks next year! CLICK HERE for more details from Central Registration.
Buckingham Kindergarten Orientation will be held on the morning of August 28th prior to the start of school. More information to follow!
Preview CB's New Website
Central Bucks School District would like to give you a preview of its new website scheduled to go-live the first week in May. Go to www.cbsd.org to access a link for the sneak peek. Schools have been working to update their sites which will provide a succinct calendar system, featured news stories, and other important information. The new websites will be "mobile-device friendly" so school phone numbers, school menus and other information will be easily accessed. Throughout the summer months, staff will receive training on their own teacher/department-sites. We hope you will be as excited as we are with our new “look”!
Communicable Disease & Medication Policy
It is imperitive the school health office be notified if your child contracts a communicable disease (Most common types: Strep, Pink Eye, Chicken Pox, etc.).
Central Bucks reserves the right to exclude children from school based on the following criteria:
- Illness prevents the child from participating in activities.
- Fever (100 degrees or higher) - and may not return until fever free without medication for 24-hours.
- Diarrhea or vomiting during the previous 24-hours - Student may not return until appetite is returned to normal.
- Rash with a fever.
- Other conditions deemed appropriate by certified school nurse or nurse staff.
All medication either prescribed or over-the-counter must be kept in the health office. Medication must be hand-delivered by parent to school in the original labeled container and must be accompanied by a Medication Dispensing Form signed by the both the physician (or dentist) and the parent.
For more information regarding School Health Services - please contact Certified School Nurse Randi Semanoff - 267-893-4215.
April is Autism Awareness Month
The National Association of Elementary Principals:
Report to Parents
Article: Helping Children Understand Autism
Information & Upcoming Events
- Apr. 8-15 - PSSA Reading/Math - Grades 3-6
- Apr. 15-30 - CBSD New Website Preview
- Apr. 15-26 - Spring Apparel Sale
- Apr 16 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- Apr. 18 - Annual Evacuation Drill Schoolwide (AM)
- Apr. 19 - Young Authors Visit - Kay Winters
- Apr. 19 - Mighty Knight at the Movies - Cafeteria - 7:00PM - Movie: Wreck-It Ralph
- Apr. 20 - Bridge Valley Race for Autism 5K - 5k Website
- Apr. 22-23 - PSSA Science - Grade 4
- Apr. 22-23 - 5th Grade Ropes Course - (Rescheduled from Fall)
- Apr. 23-26 - 3rd Grade Wax Museum - 9:30-11:15AM - See Class Schedule for Day
- Apr. 23 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- Apr. 23 - Reading Olympics - (Rescheduled) - Evening Event - Mill Creek Elementary
- Apr. 23 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- Apr. 24 - Administrative Assistant Day
- Apr. 26 - Buckingham Science Fair (Drop Off) - 2:00PM-4:00PM - Gym Foyer
- Apr. 29-30 - Science Fair (Evening Event - April 29th)
- Apr. 30 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 2 - PEN Field Trip - 6th Grade - Law Day
- May 3 - Buckingham Africa Walk (Raindate - 5/10)
- May 7 - National Teachers Day
- May 7 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 8 - National School Nurse's Day
- May 9 - 5th Grade Field Trip - Constitution Center
- May 10 - 4th Grade PEN Field Trip - Invention Convention - Doyle Elementary
- May 10 - Radcliff 6th Grade - Clean Streams
- May 12 - Happy Mother's Day!
- May 14 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 14 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- May 16 - 1st Grade Choral Program - 6:30PM; 2nd Grade Choral Program - 7:30PM
- May 17-19 - CB District Art Show - Mill Creek Elementary
- May 21 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 23 - Buckingham General PTO Meeting - 9:30AM (Elections)
- May 23 - Buckingham's Rita's Spirit Night - 4:30PM-6:30PM
- May 24 - 1st Grade Field Trip - Working Farm
- May 24 - 2nd Grade Field Trip - Lost Caverns
- May 27 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- May 28 - Vollman/Williams 6th Grade - Clean Streams
- May 28 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 28 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- May 29 - 1st Grade Field Trip - Storybook Musical Theater
- May 29 - Bus Driver Appreciation at Buckingham
- May 31 - Buckingham Field Day (Raindate - 6/7)
Buckingham PSSA Schedule - IMPORTANT CALENDAR DATES
Grades 3-6 2013 PSSA Schedule
PSSA Writing - 5th Grade - Complete
April 8-15 - Grades 3-6 Reading & Math Assessments Continues
April 22 & 23 - 4th Grade Science Assessment
Please review the school's Parent Letter by clicking here.
Please visit District Website to see PSSA Parent Information by clicking here.
Get Your Buckingham Gear in time for Field Day!
From April 15th-26th, Buckingham's spring apparel sale will take place! Show your school spirit by getting shirts with the field day colors!
Click Here for an Order form.
Please make checks payable to Buckingham Elementary PTO. If you have any questions about apparel, please contact Mrs. Becky Durbin at 215-794-5331 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Workshop: Parenting in High-Tech Times
Parenting in High Tech Times
The Chamber Office - Swamp Road
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
(FREE and Open to CBCC Members & Non-Members)
Technology has provided many opportunities and it’s also provided countless unique parenting challenges. You do not want to miss this dynamic, informative and insightful presentation featuring business leaders and educational experts.
Rod Green, Ph.D., Superintendent at Central Bucks School District
Barry G. Ginsberg, Ph.D., Center of Relationship Enhancement
Ellen Thomas, The Curiosity Shoppe Inc.
Natalie Wi, Allure West Photography Studios
Parenting & Family Committee Co-chair Amy W. Tielemans, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
To RSVP, www.centralbuckschamber.com/calendar
Bridge Valley's Race for Autism - 4/20
Are you interested in exercising during a 1 mile fun run/walk or 5k race? The Bucks County 5K series is coming to Bridge Valley Elementary School on April 20th! Test your endurance for a great cause - Autism Awareness - and help support students and families from our Central Bucks community. Since 2008, this 5k race has raised over $100,000 for the Bucks County Autism Support Association. Along with Bridge Valley, Buckingham Elementary is one of 13 CB Schools who host regional Autistic Support classes - we hope to see you there!
Visit the 5K Website for more information and registration.
Buckingham Science Fair - April 29th!
Buckingham - Spring Walk-a-Thon - 5/3
This year, Buckingham will again support another Walk-A-Thon on Friday, May 3rd, 2013. This summer, 100% of the donations will support a school project in Liberia, Africa. The project will consist of the construction of a new school building for primary students. In addition to building the school structure, a solar-power system will be installed that will allow women to learn how to read and write in the evenings. Be sure to check the weather and to dress appropriately! Wear your Red, White, and Blue!
To see last year's event and how Buckingham positively impacted others - Click Here - Pasword - Africa
District Art Show: Hands On - May 17-19
Save the date! The opening night of the District Art Show 2013 is on May 17th from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at Mill Creek Elementary. Every year, many of our Buckingham students are featured. Why not gather your family and check out the incredible talents of students across the district?
To order a T-Shirt to support the District Art Show, Click Here for an order form.
The Buckingham Vegetable Garden - "Springing" to Life!
Last fall with the help from many volunteers and the generous donations of varied local businesses, the Buckingham Vegetable Garden was created. It was placed on a beautiful, small space where the students will have a hand in helping our garden grow. We are on the verge of helping it SPRING to life, and hope you have an opportunity to come see the garden behind Buckingham!
The Buckingham Vegetable Garden Committee, led by Mrs. Jill Jankowski and Mrs. Leslie Slifer, are looking for "Extra Hands" (volunteers) to help your child's teacher during their time with the garden! Parents should hear from your HRC if your child’s teacher is planning on using the garden as they may request your participation.
Summer Help is needed! Follow this link (Click Here) to learn how your family can help the garden grow when school is not in session.
For more information, please contact Jill Jankowski at email@example.com or call 973-477-1810.
Buckingham Feels the Beat with the "African Dance & Drum Troupe" Assembly
On Thursday, April 4th - the four-person African Dance and Drum Troupe came to Buckingham as part of our Spirit Assembly Series! Students were enthralled by the combination of native African beats, drumming, dancing, acrobatics, stilt-walking, costumes, and innovative choreography. We learned that in early times and even today, villages in Africa use dance and music to communicate, teach, tell stories, and celebrate. Buckingham students certainly celebrated during this exciting and entertaining portrayal of song, drumming, folktales, and the traditions of native Africa.
To see a highlights from our assembly, Click Video Link Here - Password: Drum
From School to Gallery - Transforming Buckingham during the Art Expo!
A special thank you to Ms. Fein and Mrs. Kerins - Buckingham's art teachers, who helped our students create the amazing artwork that lined the hallways, bulletin boards, cabinets and cafeteria in preparation for the Art Expo held on April 4! Additionally, parent liaisons led by Mrs. Betsy Benosky assisted in the set-up and organization of the wonderful event! Our Mighty Knight student art creations transformed the building into a beautiful gallery as grade-level projects were showcased throughout the entire school. Classical music helped create an atmosphere of art appreciation - as many parents, guests, and visitors were amazed at all that was on display! Such wonderful talent from the students of Buckingham!
To view the exhibits from the Art Expo, View Video Here.
CB Cares Boomerang Nominations
April: #25 Reading for Pleasure -
Young person reads for pleasure most days of the week, either alone, with family members, or with friends
Students/Parents/Teachers, please nominate a Buckingham student by clicking here! In your paragraph, include how your nominee exemplifies this month’s asset. Nominations are due to Mr. Rosica by April 22nd.
School Board Briefs
At the April 9, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Lenape Jazz Ensemble performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Egan’s 4th grade Warwick class.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about Google Science Fair which is a new way for students to showcase their work for a global audience. Dr. George Mehler presented the program and showcased some student work.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Communications, Curriculum, Finance, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports. Also, an After School World Language Program report from Mr. Brian Caughie and Ms. Stacy Gray.
4. Approved School Board Minutes – March 12 and 19, 2013.
5. Approved the 403(b) and 457(b) Investment Program, construction contracts for Unami renovations, and the MBIT 2013-2014 General Fund Budget.
6. Tabled School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television so that proposed policy can be posted on the CBSD website.
7. Approved various personnel items, student trips, tuition students, and staff workshops.
8. Discussed the 2013-2014 budget. Mr. Matyas provided the Board with an update of the 2013-2014 budget process since the preliminary budget was adopted in January. He highlighted several proposed adjustments which would eliminate the need for a millage increase for the 2013-2014 school year. The proposed adjustments would not affect the normal CB program.
9. Discussed the proposed CB East Stadium project. Dr. Green stated that approximately 500 people attended the March 19 public hearing to hear about the proposed CB East Stadium project. Thirty-five community members spoke during the public hearing. The project will cost between $5.1M to $5.6M. The design of the proposed stadium will take approximately six months and will take approximately twelve months to complete. Board members talked about the particulars of the proposed stadium. The CB East Stadium project will be discussed at the next Operations Committee meeting.
Received Sabbatical Leaves of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.
Buckingham Elementary School
Buckingham, PA 18912-0158
Principal, Karl Funseth
Principal's Secretary, Janice Petrie