Body Image in Advertising
How Our Skinny-Centric World Impacts Women and Girls
Eating Disorders: Body Image and Advertising
- 50% women's commercials about appearance
- 56% women's commercials use female insecurity to their advantage
Commercials have been shown to directly impact girls' outlooks on their bodies
Examples of Body Image Advertising
99% of American Women and Girls See Advertisements Every Day
47% US adolescent girls want to lose weight
69% US adolescent girls influenced by ads
True, many women are naturally thin. However, the issue here is the lack of representation for women of all shapes and sizes.
Advertising mainly affects white American females in their teens. However, despite the young age, adverse effects of body image advertising such as anorexia or bulimia nervosa can last a lifetime.
Studies and Surveys:
68% felt worse about themselves after looking at magazines
75% of women think they are overweight
90% of women overestimate body size
Less than 7% of women have the same body shape as models
Models weigh 23% less than the average woman
Words To Know:
Body Dysmorphic Disorder – Chronic mental illness in which you obsess over flaws in your appearance
Anorexia Nervosa – Disorder in which you have an intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted view of your appearance.
Body Image - the mental image of one's own body
Seek help for eating or body dismorphic disorders
- "ANAD." Eating Disorders Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
- "Eating Disorders: Body Image and Advertising - HealthyPlace."HealthyPlace. Mediascope Press, 11 Jan. 2014. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.
- Cogan, Marin. "The Great Photoshop Crusade." National Journal 11 July 2014. General OneFile. Web. 28 Feb. 2016.
- Swinson, Jo. "False Beauty in Advertising and the Pressure to Look 'good'" CNN. Cable News Network, 2011. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.