West Nile Virus!
Glory & Brieanna
Mosquitoes feed on crow like birds that could be carrying the West Nile Disease which in turn gives the Disease to the mosquito.
Chain of Infection!
- Causative Agent: Flaviridae
- Susceptible Host: Humans living or working in mosquito prominent places and horses.
- Portal of Entry: The skin that is bit by the mosquito.
- Mode of transmission: When the mosquito bites the virus is sent into its next host.
- Portal of Exit: Saliva of the mosquito bite.
- Reservoir: Birds are the main reservoir for the virus.
How can it be prevented?
- Stay indoors between dusk and dawn.
- Use screens or windows to keep mosquitoes out.
- Use insect repellent.
- Place netting over yourself while sleeping.
- Wearing long sleeves and pants.
Mild symptoms typically resolve on there own. Those with more severe symptoms could possibly be hospitalized and given IV fluids or breathing treatments.
What precautions are taken to protect health care staff?
Health care staff should implement standard infection control precautions. This virus should be handled by trained staff working in suitability equipped laboratories.