3rd Week of September
Dear Moraine Families,
The Heritage Festival was a HUGE success! What a fun Friday celebrating historic Northville and closing the week with an amazing parade! One of our favorite community events of the year :)
Each week, the Penguin's Raft will have updates on all the happenings at Moraine. The Big Three for this week:
1. Nuts About Science Deadline is TOMORROW! This highly engaging, experiential learning experience is coming to Moraine - check it out with the details below.
2. There will be two opportunities to help make Moraine beautiful this fall. Sept. 24th will focus on the Rain Garden and then on Saturday, Oct. 1st (9am-Noon) it's all hands on deck to do the fall cleanup before our Fall Fling on Oct. 14. Come for a little bit or come for the whole time - we LOVE getting our families together to help make our school beautiful!
3. Save the Date! Our first Dad's Club meeting will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 5th at 7pm. More details in next week's Raft!
Be well and talk soon,
Proud Principal of Moraine Elementary
Teaching for Learning for All!
In this newsletter, you will find:
- Pictures from Heritage Festival and our First School Assembly!
- Now Accepting Penguin Pledge and PTA membership
- After School Programs (Nuts About Science, Academic Games)
- A Note About Smart Watches and Arrival/Dismissal
1st Grade Maybury Farms Field Trip - Monday, September 19th
Rain Garden Cleanup - Saturday, September 24
SAVE THE DATE: Moraine Picture Day - Thursday, September 29th
Moraine Fall Cleanup - Saturday, October 1st
Moraine Fall Fling - Friday, October 14
2022-23 Moraine School Calendar
Smart Watches Are Off/Away During School
A reminder that students are not permitted to have electronic devices during the school day, including smart watches. These pull attention and distraction away from engaged learning.
Students Arriving After 8:46 Must Be Signed In
School begins each day at 8:46am. Drop off begins at 8:30am. There is no adult supervision prior to 8:30.
All exterior doors will be closed at 8:46 and students must be signed into the office.
- Front Entrance: Kindergarten, 1st Grade, Ms. Munday and Ms. Meeks
- Door 42 (Located by 2nd/3rd Centrum): 2nd and 3rd Grade
- Bus Loop Entrance: 4th Grade Students, Ms. Witter
The school day ends at 3:45pm.
Welcome back to all of our Penguins and families! The PTA is looking forward to a terrific school year with lots of things planned. All of these activities wouldn't be possible, though, without the help from you. Make a donation to the Penguin Pledge, our primary fundraiser, today to help us reach our goal of at least $15,000. This helps fund the following and so much more:
- Parent Lighthouse to bring the Leader in Me values home.
- Teacher stipends to help cover the cost of supplies the teachers need for the classrooms.
- Grants for staff to help purchase those items that are more expensive.
- Money towards field trips for each grade.
- Assemblies like Science Alive and guest author Philip Stead.
- Meals and treats provided to staff by Staff Appreciation.
- Bagels, donuts, fruit and more for Breakfast with a Buddy.
- Extra curricular activities for the students like Robotics and Science Olympiad.
Go to https://app.memberhub.gives/moraineelem, scan the QR code below, or text the word 'Penguin' to 919.626.3277 to give.
Become a PTA member today and join the millions of other parents who are advocating for the safety, health, and wellbeing of our children. Visit our Moraine store to sign up. As a thank you for being a member, you will have access to the Memberhub school directory. For more information on the initiatives the PTA is working on, like a call to action for gun violence prevention, visit https://www.pta.org/.
As always, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments or suggestions.
The Moraine PTA Executive Board
Moraine PTA Executive Board
Using the Car Loop!
To keep our kids safe and an efficient line, please follow our arrival/dismissal procedures! A reminder that arrival does not begin until 8:30am and there is no student supervision prior to this time.
Moraine uses a bus loop at arrival and dismissal - no other vehicles are permitted to use the west bus loop during these times.
- Pull all the way forward until you can stop and immediately drop off your child as soon as you are next to the sidewalk.
- It is not necessary to hold up the line by waiting until you are in front of the entry doors to drop off your child.
- If you have to put your car in park for any reason, including if you are removing your child from a car seat, you must use the parking lot.
- Practice having your child repeat their dismissal plan to you.
Your family should display a name card on the right hand side of the dashboard and visible through the windshield. A BIG and BOLD name displayed assists our dismissal team with having your child ready to enter your vehicle.
If your child requires assistance, you may wish to park your vehicle in the parking lot and greet your child outside of their classroom door upon dismissal.
- NEW - To avoid a dangerous backup on the westbound 8 mine left turn lane, we will be using a double lane dismissal. Eastbound 8 mile traffic will use the lane closest to the sidewalk and the Westbound 8 mile traffic will use the next lane over.
Please use kindness, courtesy, and patience for a safe, efficient dismissal!
ANNUAL REGISTRATION is now overdue!
The office has contacted you via email if you have not completed the online Annual Registration. Please complete this TODAY!
Every year, all families (including those who recently enrolled) are required to fill out the digital Annual Registration for each student. Families may complete these forms through MiStar ParentConnection. Through this process you will be asked to update your student’s emergency contact information, home address and health information, review our technology use policy and student handbooks, learn more about PTSA/PTA, access the web store and much more.
Need Help? Many of the most commonly asked questions can be found on our FAQs page (located in the upper right-hand corner of ParentConnection.) If you have further questions, please email the helpdesk at email@example.com
The Northville High School Drama Club Presents...
Tickets can be purchased for $10 at the door or online @ nhstheater.ludus.com
Show Dates: September 29th, 7pm September 30th, 7pm October 1st, 2pm, & 7pm
Northville Academic Games
Nuts About Science Is Coming to Moraine!
Science Explorers! Students explore the many fields of science in this session!
We explore wacky and weird weather phenomena, learn about germs,
buoyancy, a few magic tricks, become CSI detectives and much more!
Who: Students in Grades 1st-5th
When: 3:45-5:00 pm on Tuesdays; 9/27, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8 (make-up
date is 11/15 if a class is cancelled)
Where: Room 25
Tuition: $187 per student; $152 for student with parent helper, parent helpers must
attend all 7 weeks. All materials are included. ($7 of each student’s tuition goes to Moraine
1. Visit our website at: www.nutsaboutscience.com
2. Click on the REGISTER button on the home page
3. Follow the payment steps (Credit cards and PayPal accepted)
4. After payment is completed you will be redirected to fill in the student information form.
If you are not redirected to the form, contact Jennifer Price at
* Registration opens September 6th at 8 am and closes September 19th at 11pm
Let Grow Project!
Northville Council of PTAs present the Let Grow Project!
When Adults Step Back, Kids Step Up
At Let Grow, we believe today’s kids are smarter and stronger than our culture gives them credit for.
Treating them as physically and emotionally fragile is bad for their future — and ours.
Let Grow is making it easy, normal and legal to give kids the independence they need to grow into capable, confident, and happy adults.
NEWS AND NOTES
Quick Links for Reference
ClassLink and Schoology Resources
Video Gallery Picture - Exciting NPS Events!