Coralville Central Newsletter
April 29th, 2022
A Note From Mr. Gahan
Hello Family and Friends of Coralville Central,
The year is winding down very quickly. Please keep checking your calendars throughout the month of May for upcoming events. It will be an exciting month to say the least. Hopefully the weather will clear up a little bit for the last little run we have left. Have a great weekend!
Principal, Coralville Central
Message on Vaccines
Our District strongly encourages eligible individuals to get the COVID-19 vaccine. For individuals 5 years of age and older who have not yet received the COVID-19 vaccine, this vaccine locator may be used to find a provider near you.
NO SCHOOL - Tuesday, May 3rd!!
Northwest Junior High - now a field trip!
Be on the look-out for a field trip permission slip soon to sign!
Word of the month - Integrity
We have been talking about integrity, which means 'doing the right thing, even when no one is watching'. This has sparked so many good conversations in classrooms and groups with our students.
You can talk about this at home too, using this guide for families.
Something from Ms. Becca...
Greetings from the PTO!
For our last fundraiser of the year, we will be having a Read-A-Thon starting next week! The whole school will compete to win prizes, such as: a pizza party for the winning class and special surprise from Principal Gahan! Packets will be sent home and emailed with more information.
Amber Foster, PTO President
From the Library - Devin Redmond
From the Library - Devin Redmond
- Book Madness is right around the corner! It's a great way to wrap up the year. I already have my favorite book picked out, and it's different from Miss Keely's!
- You all have May 12 marked for our first Family Night in years, right? It's from 6-7:30pm.
- If you want your child to take their Chromebook home for the summer, you must read through these expectations and then fill out this form. If you want us to keep the Chromebook here at school, you do not have to do anything. Current 6th graders will all take their devices home, and summer school students will have theirs here at school to use during summer school and then they will take them home. ALL devices and chargers will need to be brought back to school in August.
Devin Redmond (she/hers)
Coralville Central Elementary : ICCSD
Google Voice (text) : 319.435.8220
Follow @cclibrary on Instagram for BN recommendations from CC Staff AND CC Students!
A 1st grader told me today that he and his 3rd grade brother LOOOOOOVE this page of a Dog Man book, “We can’t even read it out loud to each other because we’re laughing so hard!”
Important Orchestra Dates
-Rehearsal Field Trip: May 2nd, 9:45-2:15. Bring your instrument and music.
-Orchestra Concert: May 17th, 7:00 PM West High Arganbright Auditorium-Students should arrive at 6:30 to unpack and have their instrument tuned. Wear something nice. We're excited to share what we've been learning!
REQUIRED IMMUNIZATIONS for 7th grade
Two more vaccines are required for students entering 7th grade: a meningococcal vaccine (MCV) and a tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis booster (Tdap)
Students are not allowed to start 7th grade in the fall without documentation of a MCV vaccine according to Iowa law.
Please check your child’s immunization record or call their health care provider to find out if they have received the Tdap booster and meningococcal vaccines (MCV) and make an appointment if needed.
Johnson County Public Health also provides immunizations and can be reached at 319-356-6045.
If your child does not have insurance, please reach out to The Healthy Kids Clinic. Call or text 319-631-3204 to make an appointment.
If you have any questions, please contact the school nurse.
Kelly Joseph, BSN, RN-BC
ICCSD School Nurse
Coralville Central (319.688.1100) + Mann (319.688.1145)
Google Voice: 319.535.2261 - You may call or text me at this number.
SUMMER CAMPS & CLINICS
Iowa City West HS will be offering summer camps and clinics as listed on our website at www.icwestsportscamps.com/
Please contact the West High athletic office for any questions.
Craig Huegel, CAA
Athletics Director, West High
2901 Melrose Avenue
Iowa City, IA 52246
(O): 319-688-1050, x5159
Also, please remember to label lunchboxes that are sent to school. We get many dropped off in the office when they get left behind. If they are labeled, we can easily find who they belong to!! Thank you!
School Hours are Mon, Tues, Wed and Fri from 7:55 - 2:55, Thursdays are 7:55 - 1:55.
If your student isn't going to be able to attend school, please call the office (319.688.1100) to report their absence. Thank you!
Snacks & Celebrations
The ICCSD is committed to providing a safe and healthy learning environment for our students. In line with that goal, changes are being made to the district’s Wellness Policy regarding classroom snacks birthday treats, and classroom celebrations.
NO FOOD BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS
In line with the district’s Wellness Policy, student birthdays will be celebrated in the classrooms with a special acknowledgment. Each grade level team has determined a special recognition for students who wish to celebrate their birthdays at school. Please note these birthday celebrations will not involve food. If food is sent to school for birthdays the food items will be returned home.
SNACK & CELEBRATIONS :
When food is served to students in the classroom as a snack or during a classroom celebration, the following rules apply (ICCSD Wellness Policy 507.9):
- allow only fresh fruits/vegetables or purchased foods with the ingredients listed (no homemade foods).
- allow only foods that meet the Healthy Food Guidelines/ Smart Snacks. (the only exception to this would be food-tasting related to district-approved curriculum lessons)
- not allow foods with peanuts or peanut butter or foods that were made in a factory where cross-contamination may occur.
- food that does not meet the guidelines will be sent home.
- a list of acceptable foods (Healthy Food Guidelines/ Smart Snacks) will be made available to parents and teachers at the beginning of the school year.
The ICCSD Wellness Policy Classroom Snacks and Celebrations is a complete list of approved foods including where the approved food items can be purchased.
For individuals that have received the Covid-19 vaccine, we strongly encourage you to get the booster. Boosters are now available for those ages 12 and older. For individuals five years of age and older who have not yet received the COVID-19 vaccine, this vaccine locator may be used to find a provider near you.