Gettys Greatness April Newsletter
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
TCC Verizon Wireless Presents GMS Staff with their Teacher Rock Award
Student Events and Programs Coming in Spring 2021
We will continue to have safety protocols for all events so our student programs can operate safely and will need all participants' cooperation. Our sports season was successful due to following these safety protocols, and we will follow similar procedures to mitigate any spread. Student performers will socially distance, all audience members will wear masks and sit in family pods, family pods or seats will be spaced out from others. Most events are by grade level for reduced crowds, facilities will be cleaned between grade level performances, and online ticketing will be used as we cannot exceed determined facility capacities based on our limited seating plans. For most events families will be able to have a minimum of 2-4 guests for each event. More specific information will be delivered specifically to each group's family.
Spring Events Planned:
April 22 Chorus Concerts at Easley First Baptist Church
6th grade at 5:30 pm, 7th grade at 6:30 pm and 8th grade at 7:30 pm
April 30 Opening Night of Matilda Jr. the Musical 7 pm
May 1 Matilda Jr at 2 pm and 7 pm at GMS Auditorium
May 3 Strings Concert at EHS Auditorium with 6th grade at 6 pm and 7th grade at 7 pm
May 6 Strings Concert at EHS Auditorium with 8th grade at 6 pm
May 7 Matilda Jr at 7 pm in GMS Auditorium
May 8 Matilda Jr at 2 pm and 7 pm in GMS Auditorium
May 15 Band Concert at GMS Gym by grade level
6th grade at 1:00 and 1:45, 7th grade at 3 pm and 3:45 pm, 8th grade 5 pm and
The school purchases a limited number of yearbooks and the only way to guarantee you will receive one is to preorder during this time. Our yearbooks have color pictures and will be a great way to capture the memories from this unique school year.
Dr. Yemothy Awarded STEM Teacher of the Upstate Region
Dr. Yemothy was named South Carolina’s Western Region 2021 STEM Educator of the Year. This distinction honored her for being the best STEM teacher in the Upstate area of South Carolina, recognized her work by the South Carolina Council on Competitiveness, The Citadel STEM Center of Excellence and S2Tem Centers as one of the five best STEM teachers in the entire state of South Carolina. South Carolina’s award recognizes those who are making a significant difference in the lives of students by providing an excellent curriculum, encouraging lifelong learning and inspiring a passion for STEM beyond the classroom. Congratulations to Dr. Yemothy and thanks for "Making Gettys Great!"
Black History Celebrated with Online Student Program
Special thanks to Mr. Gamble for his coordination of this program and to all student and staff participants. This year’s program features student speeches of Who Am I, student-read poems, a performance from our Jazz Band students, our Step Team dancers and some recently discovered history about the Woodland Cemetery that is located next to Clemson’s football stadium. We hope you all enjoy the 2021 GMS Black History Program! Please click the link below the photos.
Mrs. Vaughn Named February Teacher of the Month
PTO Kona Ice Available for Sale on April 1
EHS Green Wave Football's Head Coach Durrah To Begin Middle School Spring Workouts
Rising 9th grade football players will workout on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:15 to 4:15 pm. Rising 8th grade football players will workout on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15 to 4:15 pm. Rising 7th grade football players should get a physical from April 1-April 16 and can start with Spring Workouts April 20. Players should notify Coach Austin prior to attending so he can reserve their spot. All COVID-19 safety protocols will be followed and students are required to bring their masks, individual water bottles, and socially distance of 6 feet at all times.
Every Student Should Complete Device Inventory Audit
Car Line and Walker Dismissal Times For Second Semester
- 8th grade car riders and walkers at 2:30 pm
- 7th grade car riders and walkers at 2:45 pm
- 6th grade car riders and walkers at 2:55 pm
- Multi-grade car rider families report at time of lowest grade level student for all
- Families should not arrive until these posted times. If you arrive early, you should park in the lower football parking lot until your grade level dismissal time so traffic flow can continue for other grade level's dismissal.
Rising 7th Grade Tdap Requirement
Don’t forget that your 7th grader must have the Tdap shot before they attend classes in August. This is a booster vaccination required by law for 7th grade students and is a protection against the whooping cough. This required documentation to be eligible to start classes in August should be dropped off in our main office for our nurses. All 6th grade families should make arrangements prior to summer to have your child's Tdap immunization prior to next school year. This state requirement should be taken care of before the first day of school on August 3, 2021.
Student and Family Reminders for SDPC Dress Code
- Moderation and modesty should govern student dress.
- Garments worn on the legs (pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, etc) must have a length that comes to within one inch of the top of the knee; with no holes or slits above this line.
- Masks are required in this pandemic for the safety of students and others. This is a required supply for face-to-face instruction at GMS and should be provided by families. The school has a supply to support students on the occasional day that they forget this item but please help us prevent it being a daily occurrence for our students.
- All district dress code requirements are listed in the student agenda and link is available at the end of this newsletter for your review.
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All Students
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- 4/1/2021 PTO Kona Ice Day during lunches with $2 cups, $3 cups and $5 cups available
- 4/1/2021 Any athletes involved in sports in 2021-2022 can get a physical after this date and that physical counts for the 2021-2022 school year. Physicals can be turned in at our main office to Dr. Strickland, Athletic Director.
- 4/5-4/9/2021 Spring Break for Students
- 4/1-4/16/2021 Rising 7th grade students interested in football should get physical
- 4/15/2021 Football Parent Meeting at Brice Field at 6 pm for 2021-22
- 4/16/2021 SDPC Remote Learning Day and lessons in Schoology
- 4/16/2021 Math MAP Testing for PCVA students 9 am to 11 am on campus. Drop-off 8:45 am car line and students report to cafe/library area
- 4/19/2021 Spring Football Workouts begin with EHS Coach Durrah with rising 7th grade
- 4/19/2021 Cheer Parent Meeting for 2021-22 at Brice Field at 6 pm
- 4/22/2021 Chorus Concert at EFBC with online tickets only: 6th grade 5:30, 7th grade 6:30 and 8th grade 7:30 pm
- 4/26/2021 Cheer Tryouts Begin for 2021-2022 school year and run through 4/30
- 4/27/2021 Projected start of state testing if approved by state
- 4/30/2021 Opening night of Matilda Jr. Musical with online ticketing only 7 pm
- 5/3/2021 Strings Concert at EHS online ticketing only with 6th grade 6 pm and 7th grade 7 pm
- 5/3/2021 Students should begin turning in print library books
- 5/6/2021 Strings Concert at EHS auditorium online ticketing only with 8th grade at 6 pm
- 5/11-5/27 Football Spring Practice at Brice Field from 3:30-5:45 pm
- 5/15/2021 Band Concerts at GMS Gym online ticketing only with 6th grade at 1:00 pm and 1:45 pm, 7th grade at 3:30 and 4:15 pm, 8th grade at 6:00 pm and 6:45 pm
- 5/17/2021 7th grade Academic Awards Night GMS gym
- 5/18/2021 6th grade Academic Awards Night GMS gym
- 5/20/2021 8th grade Academic Awards Night GMS gym
- Rising 7th grade students should turn in required TDAP documentation before summer.
We look forward to seeing how our new students will "Make Gettys Great" next school year that begins August 3.