Knox Middle School
Knox Middle School Newsletter!
What a great start to 2023! On January 13th, we hosted the 46th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. March. This was the biggest march so far! We were excited to celebrate Dr. King's legacy and the message of unity, community, and equality. Thank you to Porter, Baker, Balboa, Nye, Valencia Park, Chavez, Central, Lewis, Lincoln and Morse that joined us for this special event. Thank you to the Butterfly Project and the TKF Foundation for their partnership!
Our 6th grade students all had the opportunity to also take 4 swim lessons at the new Jackie Robinson YMCA. This was a great experience for our students. During February, our 7th grade students will also get the opportunity to take swim lessons at the YMCA.
Knox teachers participated in a Saturday professional development workshop at Knox with Dr. Kate Kinsella, author of our ALD curriculum. This professional development supported language acquisition strategies to scaffold instruction for our multilingual learners at Knox. We will be following up on this Professional Development with additional site coaching by Jennifer Finney.
8th Grade Promotion Ceremony Criteria:
We are open for Saturday and Sunday school to clear absences. Students are encouraged to clear all days they miss. We are open from 8-12pm.
This month at Knox we have also have many awesome events happening on campus. These include:
- ASB School Dance (LOP event)
- 7th grade students will take 4 swimming lessons at the Jackie Robinson YMCA
- Winter soccer continues
- CPR certification training for 8th grade students 2/11 during Saturday School. Register with Coach B.
- Fun Friday lunch for students sponsored by Positive Movement.
- ELPAC testing
- IAB testing in Math and English classes begins
- Our Parent Circles and Food Pantry events will continue for our Knox families. We hope you will join us. These events are also open to our 5th grade families.
- ELPAC testing begins on February 1st. All of our ELD classes will be preparing students for the test. The ELPAC test is an important way in which our students can reclassify.
- 8th grade students must pass all of their classes Second Semester by the cut off date to participate in the Knox promotion ceremony held at Lincoln. Students that have F's at the cut off date must follow the appeals process to be considered for participation in the ceremony.
Please also follow us on Instagram: knox_middle
Parents- please continue to monitor Power School Parent Portal for your students grades and attendance.
Thank you for your continued support of Knox and our students.
Knox's 46th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. March
Knox 6th Grade Swim Lessons-Jackie Robinson YMCA
Knox Mathletes Begins!
Student-led Conferences April 6th 8:15-9:10
STEM Week Is COMING!! March 20-24 in all Knox classrooms
Knox Professional Development With Dr. Kate Kinsella
Knox Parent Website
Feeding America Food Pantry
Click here to see all of our Knox newsletters, with details about our programs and events!
Key Contacts At Knox:
Assistant Principal (Beginning 1/12)- Lourdes Hirschfirstname.lastname@example.org
Head Counselor-M-Z- Lori Cruz- email@example.com
Counselor- A-L- Mary Shirley- firstname.lastname@example.org
Restorative Practices Coordinator-Jeff Ponsford- email@example.com
Registration-Leticia Alva Sanchez- firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance- Iliana Castaneda Estrellaemail@example.com
Site Tech- Power School Parent Portal- Kristen Ojetti- firstname.lastname@example.org
Admin Assist-Linda Dozier- email@example.com
Health Tech-Monica Diazfirstname.lastname@example.org