May 1, 2020
5-1-2020 Teleschool Updates
Dear Hillside Community,
Welcome to May!! We're nearing the finish line with this school year, and what a great journey we've been on! Thank you for your continued support of our school and your student's learning each week. I applaud all of you for taking on a new role and doing your best to manage all that you've had to manage. I am proud of the work that our students are doing in spite of the new format, and my amazing staff continues to amaze me with their great work, collaboration, and support for our students.
We are here for you!
Please see the following updates on Teleschool for Hillside.
Field trip payments for Tybee Island and Georgia Aquarium made before starting Teleschool have been refunded. All payments made, regardless of method, were refunded via check. Checks were mailed to the home address on file this past Wednesday.
Yearbooks, Paper work packets, Belongings, Library Books, 5th Grade Recognition
- Yearbook production is currently halted. Once they are printed, we will communicate the plan for distribution. We don't have a timeline at the moment.
- Paper work packets, Library Books- Beginning Monday, May 4th - Friday, May 15th from 9am-2pm, please begin turning in the following items to Hillside: Library books and Paper work packets (please indicate the student name and homeroom teacher). There will be bins at the front entrance of the school. Please place items in the appropriate bin(s).
- Belongings pick up and Laptop drop-off- (Pre-K to 4th Grade only) Belongings that have been left in the classroom (at tables, in cubbies/bins and Autism t-shirts that were ordered) will be packed by Hillside staff and available for pick-up on May 19th (9-12 for Last names A-F/ 1-3pm G-L)- and May 21st (9-12 for Last names M-R/ 1-3pm S-Z). Medications in the clinic will be available to pick up as well. In addition FCS distributed laptops must be turned in during those same times for 3rd and 4th graders. All 5th graders going to middle school may keep their laptop through the summer and return to the middle school in the fall. Lost and found items are being donated or discarded and will not be available for retrieval.
- Fifth Grade Recognition- On Thursday, May 21st at 6:00 pm we will host a non-traditional live recognition ceremony online to recognize our students for completing elementary school. (Link to join will be sent closer to that date). On Friday, May 22nd at 10:00 am, following social distancing recommendations, we will recognize our fifth grade students in a parade/drive-thru celebration at Hillside elementary. We are asking for one vehicle per family to come to Hillside and proceed in a structured parade to individually recognize our students. (Stay tuned for specifics on the lineup and the process). Fifth grade students will be given their belongings during the parade.
Fourth Term Grades
Final grades this term are based on successful participation and completion of specific assignments. Please be sure your student has completed the "graded" assignments that have been due. Those assignments have been indicated each week in the lesson plans as "for a grade" or "must-do" assignments. If you have a question about the required graded assignment, please view the lesson plan or choice board. Contact the teacher for further clarification. If online work was not the Teleschool option you chose, then the paper packets must be turned in to account for your child's participation.
Students who did not attempt to participate, will receive an unsatisfactory grade and may be required to attend summer school in July. Please submit the necessary work to avoid having "Incomplete" assignment grades.
Note from Mrs. Dewey, Counselor
Ever heard of being a “Bucket Filler?” Come explore with me as we learn how to spread kindness and “fill other people’s invisible bucket!” When you fill someone else’s bucket by doing or saying something kind, you also fill your bucket. Everyone wins! Listen to a great book and hear about how to participate in the “A to Z Bucket Filler Challenge!”
As a parent, it can certainly be challenging hearing your child speak in a negative way towards themselves. This is called negative Self-Talk. It can often be difficult to know what to say to your child when you hear these words. Consult this helpful resource for tips on how to support your child and what you can say to help him or her. How to Navigate Negative Self Talk
Rising 6th grade students! In the upcoming days you will have the opportunity to have a TEAMS meeting with staff and students from either Haynes Bridge or Holcomb Bridge to learn more about middle school. This is a great opportunity to ask questions you may have. When you are on the TEAMS meeting, you are representing Hillside so it is expected you show Husky PRIDE. Be respectful! If you are attending Haynes Bridge, your meeting is scheduled for May 6th at 12:15 pm. Holcomb Bridge will be scheduled soon.
Please use this link to join the Haynes Bridge TEAMS on May 6th at 12:15 pm:
+1 470-705-1712 United States, Atlanta (Toll)
Conference ID: 165 518 832#
If you need any support, please reach out to me at any time: email@example.com or 678-327-5847. Be sure to check out more counseling activities on the specials area choice board!
Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
- Click HERE for Pre-K Registration information
- Click HERE for Kindergarten Registration Information (and all other new students)
Please email Mrs. Teffeteller (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the process.
From Mrs. Simon, Media Specialist
WDOG is back!! Please watch our third episode of WDOG Teleschool Edition. (Make sure you toggle off the Autoplay next video feature on Vimeo.)
If your child wants to submit a short (school appropriate) video, please email it to Mrs. Simon at email@example.com. Enjoy!
The Hillside teacher created lesson plans are listed below for our on level students. For all past resources and information, please see the previous week's Pawprints, linked at the bottom.
Meals for Students/Work Packets
Families can pick up breakfast and lunches from Esther Jackson Elementary, Holcomb Bridge Middle, or Haynes Bridge Middle School on Wednesdays from 11am until 1pm according to location or preference. FCS created work packets will also be available during the same times for families that prefer paper copies. Wednesday, May 6th will be the last opportunity to pick up a work packet.
Dr. Dumas Reads
Join me on YouTube as I read children's books for our students! Click HERE for the channel. :-)
Lesson Plans for May 4 - May 8
**Speech Language Therapists and Occupational Therapists will reach out directly to parents to schedule Teleschool sessions.
If you need any technical assistance, such as with Classlink, iReady, log-in information and more, please call the call center below. For content assistance, please email the teacher directly.
TeleSchool Call Center for Parents/Students
Open from 8 am -4 pm