Pleasant Plains Update for Families
April 30, 2020
Enhancements to the Continuity of Learning Plan
Seventy-five families responded to the survey. In addition to the results below many families shared an array of comments both through the survey and directly with our teachers.
Overall, it's clear that every home is different, every circumstance is different, For some everything is moving along smoothly and for many others they are feeling overwhelmed.
So, based on your feedback this week we have made the following adjustments:
Beginning Monday, May 4 and beyond
· To provide more academic instruction, all classroom teachers will have one Google Meet each day. Each grade level will meet at the same time, every day Monday - Friday
· Once a week, students will have a special - gym, art, music, library etc. The special area teacher will join at the end of a regularly scheduled classroom meeting.
· Teachers' office hours have been enhanced to provide more opportunities for small group and individualized support. Teachers may invite students to small groups based on data or they will post a sign-up sheet based on topics.
Results of the Survey
The first question was about Google Meet. Based on the results it looks like we still have families that would like more information.
The next question was about Schoology. Again it looks like we have some families that would like more information.
Packets, packets, packets.....some arrived and others did not and everyone is overwhelmed with the amount of work.
What work is required? What is optional?
- Start with the pages for reading/ELA, math, and science, social studies or health.
- As time permits, your child can work on the pages for the special areas - music, art, PE, library ect.
- No stressing - let your child complete as much as they can.
- There is no due date for the packets that are just arriving in mail.
There are 3 options for turning in work...
- Take a picture of the pages and email them to your child's teacher
- Scan the pages and email them to your child's teacher
- Keep the work and hand it in when we return to school (whenever that turns out to be)
Most importantly, give yourself a break and keep in mind all BCPS students are being graded pass/fail. Our goal is to simply make sure all of our students are still learning as much as possible. We understand everyone's situation is different and your child may not be able to complete all of the packet at this time. It's ok. Please just reach out to your child's teacher to let them know what works best for your family.
If you would like additional information please fill in your contact information using the following link:
We are happy to hear most families are either happy with the current amount of instruction or they want more!
To add more academic instructional time, your children will have the opportunity to meet with their teacher at the same time, every day.
Starting on Monday, May 4 and beyond, all classroom teachers will have a Google Meet every day. Each grade level will meet at the same time, every day Monday - Friday.
Here are the daily Google Meet times for each grade level:
Grade 3 9:00-9:45
Grade 1 10:00-10:45
Grade 5 11:00-11:30 (Manko and Balawejder) or 11:30-12:00 (Cox and Knutson)
Grade 2 1:00-1:45
Grade 4 2:00-2:45
At the same time we also understand everyone's circumstances are different. It's ok if your child is not able to attend every Google Meet. Please just reach out to your child's teacher and they will work with you to find the best way to make sure your child is still learning while we are apart.
Again we are happy to hear that the level of difficulty of the work is about right for most students.
If your child needs enrichment activities, please reach out to your child's teacher during their office hours.
Starting Monday, May 4, teacher office hours can be utilized to provide more opportunities for small group and individualized support.
Not surprisingly how the instruction is provided in our new digital world works well for some but not others.
Last but not least, some families have sick family members, others are essential personnel and their children are attending daycare. Still others are working from home and have multiple children, and/or all of the above. For some, all of this digital learning is just to much. No worries. We understand and we are here to help, not to make your life more difficult. Just let us know what we can do to support you and your children.
Ideally, knowing every home is different, every circumstance is different, we encourage all students to try to complete the following each week:
- Attend the daily Google Meet classroom meetings (Starting Monday)
- Complete 2 reading, 2 math and 1 of the following science, social studies or health lessons each week (All lessons are posted in Schoology by week and they align to the work in the packets)
- Complete as much of the work in the packets, but don't worry if you can;t complete everything.
- If your child has an IEP or receives ESOL services we ask that your child meet with their special educator or English language teacher once a week.
- And finally, attend one special area class per week - art, music, library, PE etc.
Each week teachers will be monitoring student engagement. Please make sure your child is completing their work and/or touching base with their teachers each week.
We just need to make sure all of our students are accounted for and engaged in some type of learning each and every week.
My child still did not receive their packet of work, yet. What should we do?
If you have not received your child's packet , you can access all of the materials on the BCPS website: https://www.bcps.org/system/studentlearningresources/
If you have recently moved or are temporarily staying with friends or family please let your child's teacher know your new mailing address. Going forward new packets will be mailed to your new or temporary address.
How have "Office Hours" and "Google Meet" times changed?
- Students will be meeting daily with their classroom teachers via Google Meet and once a week they will have one special.
- Classroom meetings will include teacher lead lessons in the areas of reading, math, and science/ss/health.
- Teachers will begin using their Office Hours for small group and individualized instruction,
When are the teachers "Office Hours" and how do I contact my child's teacher?
How to Access a Google Meet (Tips from Ms. Severe)
How to Access Google Meet in Spanish
Links to Important Websites
Directions to Help Set Up a Parent Account in BCPS One (See Below)
Do you need help with your account? a Computer? or other Technology?
Please Continue to Reach out to Our Social Emotional Support Team
If you are worried about your child, need support, or if you just need help finding food or other resources please reach out. We are here to help!
From left to right:Trish Voegtlin - School Counselor email@example.com Office Hours: M‐F 1‐3
Traci Harris - LCSW‐CSchool Social Worker firstname.lastname@example.org Office Hours: M‐F 11‐ 1
John Morant- SEL Teacher (Behavior Support) email@example.com Office Hours M‐F 10‐12
Rachel McNeive - Instructional Support firstname.lastname@example.org Office Hours: TTThF 1‐3
Luke Sinkler - SEL teacher (Behavior Support) email@example.com Office Hours: M‐F 8‐9 and 4‐5 Not pictured:
Jennifer Schleicher- School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org Office Hours W‐F 2‐4
Grab and Go Meals for ALL BCPS Students
UPDATE: Students do not need accompany parents/guardians to pick-up meals.
Monday through Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
For more information:
Food Pantries/Assistance for Central Area Families (Please bring a photo ID)
Student Support Network
Fridays, starting at 11:00 a.m. at Parkville High School
Assistance Center of Towson Churches
120 West Pennsylvania Ave, Towson
Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m.- 2:45 p.m.
Community Assistance Network (CAN)
7900 East Baltimore St., Baltimore 21224
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Jewish Community Services
5750 Park Heights Ave.
Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. 3:00 p.m.
Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church
300 Eudowood Ln
Towson, MD 21286
Towson United Methodist Church
501 Hampton Ln
Towson, MD 21286
Rock City Church
1607 Cromwell Bridge Rd
Parkville, MD 21234
Babcock Presbyterian Church
Noon and 6pm seven days a week
8240 Loch Raven Blvd.