November 2022 Edition
The Latest at Whitson ✏️
This month, we have changed the format of our newsletter slightly to hopefully make it easier to read! It is now divided into the following sections:
- The Latest at Whitson - This is where you will see all the fun things that have been going on around the school, including pictures and a note from the principal.
- Upcoming Events - In this section, we will highlight 3-6 upcoming events and have the full schedule for the current and upcoming months available.
- Important Updates and Information - Anything that is critical for you to see will be in this section. We will work hard to ensure that this section is only NEW information - this section is a MUST READ!
- Library News - When there is important information from Mrs. Schwinn, it will be in this section.
- How We Do School at Whitson - This section will highlight our Ci3T (Comprehensive, Integrated, 3-Tiered Model of Support) plan, including the Warrior Way and our PRICE language.
- From the District - In this section, you will find important information from the district that we think you should know.
- Reminders - Here you will find important reminders that we still want you to have access to. These items will likely first appear in the Important Updates and Information section and will move here if they are a repeat, but we still feel it is important for you to know.
- Get Connected - This section will give you all of the ways you can get connected to what we are doing at Whitson, from more about PTO, the TPS app, the Here Comes the Bus app, our Facebook page, and contact information.
Thank you, Sunflower Association of Realtors!
Mrs. Lyndelle got a surprise from the Sunflower Association of Realtors this month! This group put out an application for first year teachers to be able to submit items from their wishlist. Mrs. Lyndelle was one that they chose! She received pillows for her library area and organization bins that help keep her classroom flowing smoothly! Thank you, Sunflower Association of Realtors, for supporting teachers!
Upcoming Events 📆
Chill Out With Chili, 5-6:30 PM
Join us for our Social Emotional Learning Night! See more information and RSVP by TODAY (so that we can have an accurate food count) here!
All Upcoming Events
- November 1: Grace Med Dental comes to Whitson
- November 3: Papa John's Night
- November 8: PTO Meeting, 6:00-7:00
- November 11: Veteran's Day Assembly, 2:00-3:00
- November 14-18: American Education Week
- November 14-18: Real Men Read Week
- November 14: Title 1 Social-Emotional Learning Family Engagement Night
- November 15: Picture Retakes
- November 23-25: Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
- November 30: Grace Med Dental comes to Whitson
- December 1: Papa John's Night
- December 7: Geography Bee, 2:00-3:00
- December 8: Winter Band and Strings Concert, 2:30-3:00
- December 12-16: Spirit Week!
- December 13: PTO Meeting, 6:00-7:00
- December 16: Last day of 2nd quarter
- December 17-January 4: NO SCHOOL, Winter Break
- January 5: Return to school
Want all of these dates easily accessible and to be able to check if anything changes? Access our school calendar on the Whitson website! There, you can add the calendar to your own or even sign up for email alerts if something changes using the menu with the < sign above Saturday!
Important Updates and Information 📌
It's getting cold outside... ❄️
As it is started to get colder outside, especially in the mornings, please remember that our doors do not open until 8:20. Please do not drop students off early as there is no supervision to allow them inside prior to that.
Additionally, we are outside for recess unless the temperature and/or wind chill is below 20 degrees or the weather is bad. PLEASE send your child with their coat as they will likely be outside. If you need a coat, please let us know and we are happy to help you get one!
Per the student handbook...
We believe that fresh air and exercise are good for the body and the mind. Students will have at least one recess break daily. Students will be expected to come dressed for outside play—even in winter. Students will have indoor recess if the wind chill index and/or temperature fall below 20 degrees, if it is raining, or if we are in a severe weather alert. If, for medical reasons, your child is restricted from recess, a note should be sent to the office. If the restricted period is more than two days, a note from a physician is required.
Pick-up and Drop-off 🚗
Per the student handbook...
Students riding to and from school in cars or buses are to be loaded and unloaded from the side of the street adjacent to the school grounds. At no time should unattended students cross the street to or from cars! Students are not to be loaded or unloaded in the marked crosswalk areas.
Arnold Avenue is a one direction street going north to south from 3:00—4:00 p.m. to help with dismissal flow of traffic. Arnold, in front of theschool, is a no parking zone between the hours of 8-10am and 3-4pm on school days. Patrons are subject to a fine if parked during these times. This includes when dropping off students or picking them up at dismissal.
In addition, the cones on Arnold are to alert patrons that this street is a one-way. It is NOT a parking lane.
All About Whitson Crisis Drills
Please see the document below to learn all about the crisis drills we do at Whitson so that we are prepared in the case of emergency. These drills are mandated for us to do by the state of Kansas.
Library News 📚
How We Do School at Whitson
The Warrior Way
The Warrior Way helps us make good choices with our behavior and show kindness to others. This month our focus is on RESPECT. Check out the picture below to see all the ways we show respect at school and talk with your Warrior about how you can show respect to others at home or out in public.
Learning Out Loud
- P - Perseverance
- R - Reflection
- I - Innovation
- C - Curiosity
- E - Embrace the Challenge
Our P.R.I.C.E. language describes how we learn at Whitson. This month we are focusing on INNOVATION. Look below for what we expect from our Warriors when innovating. Then, talk with your Warrior about how they can be innovative and problem-solvers.
From the District
Sign up to receive texts from Whitson and TPS!
TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE SENDS ALERTS TO TOPEKA PUBLIC SCHOOLS FAMILIES
Topeka Public Schools utilizes the SchoolMessenger system for web services and to deliver text messages to families in the district. Alerts come straight to your mobile phone with important information about school events, school closings, and more.
Parents and guardians can participate in this free service by signing up in Tyler SIS, or by sending a text message of "Y" or "Yes" to the TPS short code number, 67587. You can also opt-out of these messages at any time by simply replying "stop" to one of our messages.
View our communications document to learn more about how Topeka Public Schools communicates with families throughout the school year. Don't forget to follow us on social media! We're active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
We would like to invite all of the parents of Whitson students to attend our PTO meetings. These meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 6pm in the library. We believe that the partnership between school and home is critical to student success and truly believe that YOU can make a difference.
PTO helps raise funds for many school projects such as PE and recess equipment, classroom libraries, and field trips! Come to a meeting or contact us to see what options are available for extra help.
Please e-mail us with questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
President: Julie Phillips
Vice President: Chelsea Douglas
Secretary: Jennifer Phelps-Roper
Treasurer: Helen Swan
Topeka Public Schools App
This dynamic resource will take advantage of leading technology resources to connect with parents, students, and other community members. Using existing tools, streamlining access to information, allowing parents and the community to customize the information they receive and engage users with timely and responsive news and conversation about our schools and students.
The TPS Mobile App is free and available for both Apple and Android devices. Just search for Topeka Public Schools in the App Store or Google Play, or click on the convenient links below to go directly to the app download.
Here Comes the Bus App
This App is free and available for both Apple and Android devices. Just search for Here Comes the Bus in the App Store or Google Play, or click on the convenient links below to access the app download site.
More information regarding this service will be mailed to you along with you bus route information the first full week of August.
How to get signed up:
1. Visit www.herecomesthebus.com or download the app to your smart phone or table from the Apple Store or Google Play.
2. Click the 'sign up' button.
3. Enter school code 29036 and click 'Next' followed by 'Confirm.'
4. Complete the 'User Profile' box.
5. Under 'My Students,' click 'Add.' Enter your child's last name and student ID number. If you do not know your student's ID number, please call Ms. Perkins in the office.
6. Once you confirm your information, you're ready to begin using Here Comes the Bus!