Week of: January 28-February 1
Need quick access to curriculum materials? Click Here
Our 2nd Installment of PL led by Ms. Finnegan, Ms. Hursey and Ms. Shultz is bound to be nothing short of amazing! Welcome back to Hogwarts as we look forward to jumping back into a GMAS focus with (2-5) and continuing to fill the tech toolboxes for our PK-1st Grade teachers. Opportunities such as these do not just happen, they come with an exorbitant amount of preparation and follow through as we hope that these skills obtained will be useful in further progressing each and everyone of our learners on a day to day basis.
With the brink of February among us, it is hard to believe that we have been in school for nearly 6 months! Wow has time has flown by, this second half of the semester is truly an opportunity where we see the light bulbs come on, exponential progress achieved and true teamwork more important than ever. Continue to do the good work you all have done so far this year, I am so excited about ALL that McAllister has to offer and the dividends that your time & commitment have produced thus far! You ALL are amazing!
Please continue to showcase your amazing student work in the hallways and throughout the school. It is a breath of fresh air to see these amazing work whether it be art projects, class writing assignments, or just genuine student work adorning our walls throughout the school. Not only do our stakeholders love to see the stuff you do in class, but the kiddos are thrilled when they see their own hard work displayed for ALL to see!
Keep in mind that we are in the midst of Flu Season. Based on current projections, the outbreak appears to be more severe than what was experienced during the 2018 Flu season. Please use the disinfectant that is in the bottle in your room to spray down items that are touch often, clean desks at the end of the day and always be sure that students are taking precautions when coughing, sneezing and always washing their hands after they potty.
With the new procedures in and throughout the school with regards to PBIS - Let's make sure that we instill the expectations and inspect those expectations throughout so that they become routine throughout the school.Thank you all for your involvement in making all things at McAllister meaningful and amazing!
A few reminders listed below:
o Tuesday, January 29 – Faculty Meeting
o Friday, February 1 - Young GA Author Class Winners - Due to Ms. Leahy
o Thursday, February 7 – Spring Pictures
o Friday, February 8 – Father/Daughter Dance - (Sign up Here to Volunteer)
With an intentional focus of consistency on being curious & crazy for kids you will ALWAYS find a culture that is student focused!
Have a WONDERful Week!
Guided Reading & School Improvement
At the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year we embarked on a journey of training & implementing guided reading school wide. Last year we were able to train (k-2) with the (3-5) addition during the 2018-2019 school year.
While this is a journey, I have listed a few of the appropriate steps that we will need to continue to implement school-wide so that we are moving collectively in the direction of success as it pertains to increasing the level of literacy of all our students :
Just a few reminders:
- Assessment Kit Teacher’s Guides are located on the School’s Team Drive for your convenience. You can find the Running Record Teacher pages there.
- Running Records should be completed before break.
- Include all lesson plan components when teaching. If you don’t finish a lesson in time, pick that item up the following day. Try not to leave anything out.
- Focus on using data to direct your instruction. (Running Records, sight word assessments, word knowledge inventory, etc.)
- When planning, please use the lesson plan templates provided in the book. Keep in mind that not all portions are meant to be filled out before your lesson, so not every box will need to be filled.
- Strategies and skills by level start in the Appendix at the back of Jan Richardson’s book to use when planning.
- Comprehension is solidified through writing so try not to skip those writing components or writing days.
- Guided Reading is the only true practice at all schools K-5 in Bryan County, so try and implement this practice with fidelity and ask for help if you need it.
Making Moves at McAllister
- From Ms. West "Ms. Dell’s class is all about the writing! Her wonderful class is always writing up a storm and showing progression on her outside walls. You can tell they take pride in their work through their art/ word work!"
- From Ms. Stuckey to Ms. McPhillips: "You are creating memories for your kiddos that count and prove that relationships matter! I bet those sweet girls who earned dinner with their teacher for all their hard work will remember it forever! Thank you for inspiring me to do more and to put relationships first."
In a school of over 135 it can be hard to know everyone's name...Have you had a chance to look at the staff directory where pictures of our staff members can be located?
Click this link to see all of the awesome things our teachers have posted on twitter this week. Always remember to use the #MESrocks when posting to keep these items united!