Perfect Habitats, Nutrients and Age Structure
Why are deer in the Midwest just overall bigger and Healthier than other regions of whitetails?
- Midwest states like Iowa and Illinois grow record class deer every year.
- Six different regions
- Texas deer have small bodies and big antlers.
- Florida deer have small bodies and antlers.
- Chose this topic because I hunt.
Nutrition, Age and Genetics by James C. Kroll
- 3 articles going into depth about nutrition, age and genetics.
- Uses Iowa and Illinois as example states in the midwest.
- Talks about how all our farmland is the key for deer.
- Explains what nutrients they receive from everything we plant.
Breeder Bucks By John Ozoga
- Proper age and sex structure
- Which deer are dominant and what effect it has on the deer herd
- Buck to Doe ratios
- Healthier parents = Healthier offspring
- Oldest wild deer was 15.5 years old in Georgia.
- The average hunter sees a deer for no more than 3 seconds before pulling the trigger.
- Large percentage of deer are harvested at 1.5 years old.
- Vitamins A,D,K and E are essential for antler growth and overall health of deer.
- Diminishing habitats for the midwest deer herd
- Nutrients they desire becoming scarce
- Will our kids get to see thriving whitetails in the future?