By: Cedae Stafford
This house was popular through 1910 to 1930.
About this time period:
- The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
- 14% of homes had a bathtub
- 8% of homes had a telephone
- There was only 8,000 cars
- Corsets were a big thing in fashion at the time
- Eggs costed 14 cents for a dozen
- Henry Ford was a popular guy in the 1910's
The materials used for the bungalow's exterior usually suggested warmth and informality. Clapboard was the most common siding, followed by cedar shingle, with the wood usually stained a natural shade of brown. Stone, brick, or concrete block, molded into a decorative form, were also used. Geographic location often dictated the exterior material to be used. In the West, stucco walls and clay-tile roofs, materials indigenous to the area, were common.
Some important technology in 1910 to 1930's were the first commercial radio and the Model T by Henry Ford's Model T and the sell their 15 millionth car in Highland, MI.