Born 2 B Wild
By : Abbey Freimark
Never Keep Exotic Animals As Pets Or In Captivity
Nearly 12.6 million of the 60 million pet-owning households in the U.S. own exotic pets!
- Millions of wild animals, including reptiles, large felines, nonhuman primates, and others, are kept in private possession in the U.S. The trade in exotic animals is a multi-billion-dollar-a-year industry.
- It is estimated that between 5,000 and 7,000 tigers are kept as “pets” — more than exist in the wild. A tiger can be purchased for as little as $300, or less than the cost of a purebred dog.
- An estimated 90 percent of all reptiles carry and shed salmonella in their feces.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 93,000 salmonella cases caused by exposure to reptiles are reported each year in the United States.
- As many as 90 percent of all macaque monkeys are infected with herpes B virus, which harmless to monkeys but often fatal in humans.
Real Life Stories
Zanesville, Ohio's Terry Thompson released a horde of wild animals that he and his wife kept on their property, and who then killed himself . The police ended up have to shoot at least 50 of the roaming captives. Which consisted of endangered Bengal tigers, monkeys, lions, wolves, baboons, and more.
Jaren Hare and her boyfriend, Charles Darnell, were sentenced to 12 years in prison after the pet python they kept, strangled two-year-old daughter The couple told police that the reptile, which they kept inside a laundry bag in a tank pinned closed by a quilt, had escaped 10 times before they found it in the crib with Shaianna, "wrapped around her head and body."
In 2010, Waskom, Texas resident Gerald Rushton, who was keeping a 550 pound deer, was killed when the animal kicked him while he was trying to move it.
Ask The Experts
According to the American Academy of Paediatrics young children should not keep hedgehogs, hamsters, baby chicks, lizards and turtles as pets because of risks for disease
“It is wrong to keep exotic pets as captives away from their natural environment” Says veterinarian Dr. Patty Khuly
- Dr. Laurie Hess, exotic animal veterinarian and one of approximately 150 board-certified bird specialists worldwide, says "Despite the fact that nearly 12.6 million of the 60 million pet-owning households in the U.S. own exotic pets, " said Hess, "exotic pet owners still rarely think about bringing their animals to the vet after they purchase or adopt them."
Impact On The Enviorment
Our mission is to protect everyone and every animal from the danger of having exotic pets in our households.
"ANIMAL CONNECTION." ANIMAL CONNECTION RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2014. <http://animalconnectionshow.com/wordpress/?p=2289>.
"Dr. Laurie Hess, Exotic Animal Veterinarian & Bird Specialist, Advocates Medical Care For Exotic Pets." Dr. Laurie Hess, Exotic Animal Veterinarian & Bird Specialist, Advocates Medical.... N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2014. <http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dr-laurie-hess-exotic-animal-veterinarian--bird-specialist-advocates-medical-care-for-exotic-pets-213848101.html>.
"Exotic Animal No-No's: Why Owning One Can Hurt Them and You." Do Something. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2014. <http://www.dosomething.org/news/exotic-animal-no-nos-why-owning-cool-pet-hurts-them-and-you>.
l"Experts say exotic pet pose health risks to young children." Experts say exotic pet pose health risks to young children. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2014. <http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/10/07/41876.aspx>.
"Is It Wrong to Keep Exotic Animals as Pets?." Vetstreet. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2014. <http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/is-it-wrong-to-keep-exotic-animals-as-pets>.
"Owning Exotic Pets." Livescience. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Dec. 2013. <http://m.livescience.com/16815-exotic-pets-wildlife-infographic.htmlor>.
"Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals."Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php>.