First Colonial Band Notes
June 7th, 2021
Letter from the Director
Greetings FC Band Family,
We have reached the end of the 2020-2021 school year! Even though this year was difficult & more complicated than any other, I am proud of the music we were able to make together. A few housekeeping items as we close out the year:
- All VBCPS/FCHS instruments must be turned in. Most have been turned in--thank you to those that have already taken care of this. All instruments will be inspected, sent for repair/maintenance, & cataloged in our new inventory system. We are still missing 15+ instruments (several marching baritones, mellophones, trumpets, & a few others). Instruments will be available to be checked out for the 2021-2022 school year beginning on Tuesday, July 6th. Instruments that are not turned in will be reported as missing per VBCPS policy. Instrument replacement costs will then be charged to via the City of Virginia Beach to those that have not returned them.
- Marching Band / Drumline / Colorguard: Commitment forms & deposits are due by June 15th. Information was presented at the May 18th information meeting & can be found here. Drumline (percussion) & guard members have their first rehearsals from June 8-10, 5-8pm here at FC.
- Graduation: Many have asked if the band would be playing at graduation this year---we will not. While we very much wanted to play (and would be if graduation was being held at FCHS), the logistics with the amphitheater are preventing us from playing this year.
- Summer Band: We will be offering conditioning sessions in July for all students that wish to participate. These sessions will be held on July 6, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, & 28 from 9am-noon. The sessions will be tailored to those present (fundamentals of playing, conditioning for marchers, college audition prep, etc).
- FCBB: As we begin a new post-pandemic chapter for the FC Band, we are in need of parent support & volunteers more than ever. Please contact Mr. Walker if you are able to volunteer your time & talents to make the FC Band experience as great as possible for our students.
I hope everyone was able to attend at least one of the Shrek performances over the past week. Our students & alumni worked diligently to prepare a difficult music book for the production & enjoyed performing for live audiences again. The spring musical is always one of the highlights of our year as the pit orchestra is one of the opportunities we get to work as a whole department & share our talents & friendships with each other.
Director of Bands
Tri-M Music Honor Society Advisor
Performing Arts Department Chair
PBIS Team Leader
First Colonial High School
Marching Band 2021-2022 Season
Tuesday, June 8-10, 5-8pm: Drumline & Guard Workshops
Tuesday, June 15: Marching Band Deposit & Commitment Forms due
We are still in need of cologuard members---please share this information if you know of any students interested in learning flag, sabre, or rifle techniques.
Parent Help Needed!
We are currently looking for:
- General members (volunteers, chaperones, fundraiser helpers, etc)
- Volunteer/Chaperone Coordinator
- Uniform Coordinator
- Fundraising Coordinator
FCBB June Meeting
Tuesday, June 8th, 6pm
1272 Mill Dam Road
Virginia Beach, VA
If you are a parent/grandparent/guardian/caregiver, you are invited to be a member of the First Colonial Band Boosters. Meetings are held monthly where we discuss program direction, fundraisers, student events, & much more. All are encouraged to participate & help make our program the best that it can be.
To join FCBB in Band, click here.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.