ODMS Parent Newsletter (October 11- December 17)
"AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, is an elective class in which students are prepared for post-secondary success in a global society. To kick off the year, 7th and 8th grade AVID students have been practicing their critical thinking skills and forming relationships with their peers through team-building challenges. In addition, students have started to give back to the campus through acts of community service."
We look forward to seeing you tonight, October 20, 2021 from 6:00 to 7:30 for our Fall Family Night! All students that attend will receive a prize!
Children Interacting Afterschool
- Free Afterschool Program Monday-Friday 4:10-6:10 p.m.
- Free hot snack afterschool and free transportation home.
- Exciting enrichment clubs like fencing, robotics, anime, sports, gaming, cosmetology, and more.
- Tutorial assistance + Homework time every day.
- Contact Mr. Kinsey via email or work cell phone for more information. Andre.email@example.com or 832-304-9703.
O’Donnell Family and Community Engagement
Family and Community Engagement here at O’Donnell cannot be complete without one important part of our family…you! Each family member, friend, and community partner is part of the Mustang Family. Why is this important? The answer is in the African Proverb, “It takes a whole village to raise a child”. This year, we want you to know that your presence , your voice, and your engagement on and off campus plays an important role in the success of your child. You are your child’s first teacher. Together let’s celebrate each other’s uniqueness and support each other as we walk in greatness!
Special Recognitions to Our ODMS Parents and Guardians!
· We would like to thank all of our adult family members and friends who attended the Virtual Family Center Opening Week events and drive-through in September. Our adult family members who came to drop-off and pick up their child received gift bags during our drive-through event and those who came to visit the Family Center that week received gift bags as well. What a surprise…some of our moms and dads received gift cards from Chick-Fil-A and Starbucks during our virtual opening week events!
· We would like to thank our wonderful mothers and mother-figures who attended our virtual Mom’ Tea on October 4th. Moms you looked absolutely gorgeous as you showed off your tea party decorations and cups!
ODMS October and November Family Engagement Sessions and Events
- O’Donnell Family Center is officially open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9-12:30 and 1-3:30. Fridays by appointments due to scheduled meetings and Alief FACE Radio recordings done on campus.
- Our free AgriLife classes from Texas A&M started October 13th. These classes will be held every Wednesday during the months of October, November, and December in person from 11-12 in the Family Center. No tests are given!
- Our first Virtual Coffee and Chat with the Principal was Wednesday October 13th. Our next “Coffee and Chat with the Principal” will be in person in the Family Center, Room 341 on Wednesday, November 17th from 10 a.m.-10:45 a.m. Mr. Velasquez, your campus principal, can’t wait to see you!
Join us on Zoom @ www.zoom.com
ID:268 378 3223 Passcode: 992264
- Our first “Technology Time With Ms. Monroe” will be Tuesday, October 19th from 10am-11am in the Family Center, Room 341. Each year Ms. Monroe, our campus technology specialist, shares up to date technology that our adult family members can use for their child and their personal use!
- This year we are having an All Pro Dad Chapter at O’Donnell. We are inviting all of our dads, grandfathers, uncles, other adult male family members, mentors, volunteers, community partners, and those who are male figures in our students' lives, or would like to support our students in a positive way. To join us at our first virtual APD meetings, Thursday, October 28th at 9-10 am or 6-7 pm. Our All Pro Dad Chapter…it’s not just for Dads!
- Our Alief Family Engagement Week will be held November 15th-19th. Look for more information on that week’s activities, events, and guest speakers coming soon on our call-outs, and other communication platforms.
For more information contact: Deborah Moon (Family Liaison)
Join our free Remind: Text @odms21 to 81010
We are excited to announce that this school year we will be implementing the Character Strong curriculum to teach students the importance of strengthening one’s own character coupled with addressing social emotional learning (SEL). Students participate in weekly lessons that address various topics through specially designed lessons to meet their needs. Our Mustangs are growing and developing more and more each week through this amazing program!
Alief ISD has partnered with Goodside Health (GSH) to bring on-demand telehealth services to ODMS. Your child can be treated for Strep, Flu and COVID-19 and other illnesses. Please refer to the form that was sent to your email. For any additional questions, please contact Nurse Livingston here at ODMS.
Follow us on FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/ODMSMUSTANGS/?ref=br_tf&epa=SEARCH_BOX
Twitter at @ODMSMustangs
ODMS Administration Team
(From left to right)
Mr. Reed, Mrs. Chapa, Mr. Velasquez (Building Principal), Mrs. Thompson and Mr. Smith
We invite you to click on the link and submit your information along with any questions you may have and we will respond in a timely manner. Parent Q & A