News from Mrs. Hilcher- Principal of Grapevine Elementary
Week of October 17-21, 2016
- Students dropped off after 7:45am need to be escorted into the front office by an adult. Please park out front and ring the doorbell to bring your child into the office. An adult is needed in order to check student in to school after the this time.
- Please remember that parking is only permitted in marked spots in the front driveway loop and back parking lot. Parking on grassy areas on Hughes is not permitted and causes a safety concern for our students at dismissal. We appreciate your cooperation!
- Glow Dance tickets for students and adults will be available for pre-sale. Flyers will be sent home in student folders this week!
- Our GES PTA Fall Carnival will be held on Saturday, November 12th. PTA will begin pre-selling carnival tickets the week of October 24. A flyer will go out to all families with ticket sale information in the coming days.
Lunch With a Loved One
Lunch with a Loved One will be held on Wednesday, 10/26. Parents, or other relatives, are invited to eat lunch with their child on this special day and then shop at the Scholastic Book Fair in our library. Guests may choose to bring a lunch for their GES Star that day or simply join them in the cafeteria. Lunch and shopping will occur during the normal scheduled grade level lunch time.
Kindergarten: 10:20 - 10:50
First Grade: 10:50 - 11:20
Second Grade: 11:20 - 11:50
Third Grade: 11:50 - 12:20
Fourth Grade: 12:20 - 12:50
Fifth Grade: 12:40 - 1:10
All visitors awho plan on attending Lunch With a Loved One will need to check in and receive a badge in the front office. We will be utilizing our normal Raptor badge system which requires a valid photo ID. Please be sure to allow yourself some extra time to check in through the front office prior to your child's lunch time.
Fast Passes Offered
We will once again be offering families to sign-up for a Fast Pass for Lunch with a Loved One. If you are planning to come to eat lunch with your child and shop at our Book Fair, please consider signing up for your visitor badge to be pre-printed. This will alleviate time for waiting in line in the front office.
In order to be eligible for a Fast Pass:
- You must have already checked in with your photo ID in the front office through our Raptor system during the 2016-2017 school year.
- If you have NOT checked in this year, you will not be eligible for a Fast Pass until you've completed the Raptor check in. Feel free to stop by the front office this week and have them process your ID so you can then sign up for a Fast Pass!
- Please use this Fast Pass link to submit a request before Friday, October 21st.
- When you arrive on Oct. 26th, you MUST have a photo ID to claim your Fast Pass. The Fast Pass table will be open beginning at 10am.
Book Character Parade
We have created a new indoor route this year that will allow students to see each grade level. It will also include a procession outside so that parents can see their GES Stars without checking in through the front office! Please note that visitors will not be permitted down the instructional hallways for this event. We are requesting that families utilize the sidewalks and diagram that will be sent home in order to choose the best location to view the parade! We look forward to sharing this GES tradition with your family!
2016 Holiday Greeting Card Art Contest
Box Tops Due Friday!
- Students may purchase a custom GES Stars Spirit keyring to hold their Spirit Sticks in the front office for $5 on any morning between 7:15am - 7:35am. We can accept cash or checks made payable to GES.
Red Ribbon Week
Opportunities for Students
• Posters must be on 11 x 17 paper or ½ of a poster board.
• Please include the student’s name, grade and school on the back of the poster.
• District winners will be announced on Wednesday, October 26th
GCISD is also sponsoring a Public Service Announcements competition. All entries must be submitted by Tuesday, October 25th to email@example.com. Please title the email “RRW PSA 2016”. Entries must be no longer that 30 seconds. Winners will be announced Thursday, October 27th . All first place district level winners will be recognized at the November school board meeting. Your campus principal and counselor will be notified.
We are excited to announce that Grapevine Elementary will be hosting a Geography Bee again this year. Students in fourth and fifth grade will have the opportunity to participate and have the chance to qualify for the National Geographic Bee.
National Geographic guidelines state that students must complete a written geography test. This test will be given in student’s Social Studies class during the first week of November and it is completely optional for those who wish to participate. Based on test scores, the top 10 students will be selected to compete in the school Geography Bee on January 12, 2016 at 8:15am. One student from GES will then represent our school by taking a final exam. The score from this exam will be reported to National Geographic for the opportunity to compete in the Texas Geography Bee. State winners have the chance to compete in the National Geographic Bee in Washington, D.C.
If this opportunity interests your child and they enjoy learning about geography, there are several ways they can review and study prior to the Geography Bee:
Go to the National Geographic Study Corner website: http://nationalgeographic.org/bee/study-corner
Download the GeoBee Challenge App
Study the location of the 50 US States, countries around the world, and popular world landforms
We hope your child will take on this challenge and learn more about the world around them. If you have any questions regarding the Geography Bee, please feel free to contact our school geography bee coordinator, Mrs. Hale, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, 10/17-Friday, 10/22 CogAT testing (2nd & 5th grade)
Monday, 10/17 Choir (2:55-3:55pm)
Tuesday, 10/18 GCISD Pink Out day (wear PINK!)
Wednesday, 10/19 GCISD UNITY day (wear ORANGE!); Report card day; Running Club (2:55-3:30pm)
Thursday, 10/20 Choir (2:55-3:55pm); Science Club (2:55-3:55); Cheer Club (2:55-3:30pm)
Thursday, 10/20 PTA meeting (6:30pm)
Friday, 10/21 GES College Colors Day; GCISD Red Rail Rivalry (CHHS vs. GHS @7:30pm)
Monday 10/24 through Friday, 10/28 Red Ribbon Week & Book Fair
Monday, 10/24 Team Up Against Drugs!; Choir (2:55-3:55pm)
Tuesday, 10/25 Drugs and I Don’t Mix!; CEC meeting (3:15pm)
Wednesday, 10/26 Use your head, Don’t Do Drugs; Lunch With a Loved One; Running Club (2:55-3:30pm); Art Club (2:55-3:55pm)
Thursday, 10/27 Lei off of Drugs; Kinder field trip; Choir (2:55-3:55pm); Cheer Club (2:55-3:30pm)
Friday, 10/28 Have you RED a good book lately?; Book Parade at 7:55am
Monday, 10/31 Student of the Month awards; Choir (2:55-3:55pm)
Tuesday, 11/1 Generation Texas/College Day (wear college shirts); College Night at GHS
Thursday, 11/3 Early dismissal for student led conferences
Friday, 11/4 GES spirit day; 5th grade field trip
SAVE THE DATE!
Mark your calendar for our second annual Glow Dance on Friday, October 28 from 6:30-8pm. This will be a family event, so plan to come dance with your GES Star! Please note that adults attending the dance will also need to purchase a ticket.
Please plan to join us for our GES Fall Carnival on Saturday, November 12th from 2-5PM. This is a great opportunity to have some fun with your GES Star and raise money for our school! Our PTA is already working on making this a fabulous event for all who attend! Look for more details in your child’s folder in the coming weeks.
GARDENING WORKSHOPS FOR PARENTS AND KIDS
Are you interested in a beautiful, low-maintenance landscape? Come and learn about drought-tolerant native plants, organic yard care, butterfly gardens, helpful insects, and more. Join us in the GES World of Wonder Garden October 22nd from 3 - 5pm. Crafts and nature activities provided for all children.
Cost is $10 per family. This event is a PTA fundraiser to support our school garden program. Please register by Tuesday, Oct.18th by contacting Betsy Marsh email@example.com. Thank you for supporting our school garden!
Volunteer requirements are different for 2016-2017. In order to volunteer at GES, or around GCISD, all volunteers must:
- read the Volunteer Handbook (this replaces the previous face to face volunteer trainings held on campus)
- watch the appropriate video included in the handbook
- electronically sign the verification Google form for each campus you plan to volunteer
- complete the volunteer background check. A link is included in the handbook.
The following link takes you to the online Volunteer Handbook and background check: http://www.gcisd-k12.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=474
When you are ready to volunteer at GES, feel free to call the front office at 817-251-5735 to verify that both of the required steps have been recorded as completed. We appreciate your support as you complete these steps and volunteer to work with our GES students.
Follow Our Story
Follow the excitement on Twitter and Facebook:
- On Twitter follow:
Principal Mrs. Hilcher: @GESHilcher
Assistant Principal Mrs. Landrum: @GESLandrum
Grapevine Elementary: @GESStars
Your favorite teacher: @GES[lastname]
All GES classrooms by checking our #GESshineon
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrapevineElementary