How Parents Can Help
Teachers can provide guidance by encouraging parents to...
- Learn more about learning disabilities.
- Learn how your child learns best to motivate his/her learning.
- Teach through your child’s areas of strength.
- Respect and challenge your child’s natural intelligence.
- Remember that mistakes don’t equal failure (“ it’s not the end of the world”).
- Emphasize what your child CAN do!
- Maintain a positive position with your child.
- Use television or videos creatively.
- Make sure books are at your child’s reading level.
- Encourage your child to develop his/her special talent.
Useful Resources for Parents
- National Center for Learning Disabilities(http://www.ncld.org/)
- Parents LD Online (http://www.ldonline.org/parents)
- Learning Disabilities Association of America (http://ldaamerica.org/parents/)
- National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities (http://nichcy.org/disability/specific/ld)
- National Association of Parents with Children in Special Education(NAPCSE)http://www.napcse.org/
- Support for Families of Children with Disabilities( http://www.supportforfamilies.org/)
- Parents Helping Parents (http://www.php.com/)
- Special Education and IEPs (http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/learning-disabilities/special-education-and-ieps/)