Dates To Remember!
5/6-5/10 - Teacher Appreciation Week!
5/7 - Advisory Meeting - 6:30pm
5/8 - School Nurse Day
5/16 - Paint Night - 6:30pm
5/17 - Spirit Day: Silly Accessory Day
5/21 - PTO meeting - 6:30pm
5/22 - Spring Chorus Concert - 7:00pm
5/23 - Paint Night - 6:30pm
5/27 - No School- Memorial Day
5/28 - PTO Meeting - 6:30pm
5/29 - Donuts with Dad - 8:15am (Last Names A-F)
5/30 - Donuts with Dad - 8:15am (Last Names G-N)
6/1 - Donuts with Dad - 8:15am (Last Names O-Z)
Teacher Appreciation Week...THIS WEEK!
National School Nurses' Day
A note from our Counselors - Use the Stars!
Paint Nights coming in May!
We will have 2 paint nights this year on May 16th and 23rd from 6:30-8pm. Our theme is "Cherry Blossoms" and there will be a participation fee of $8/person. All money collected will be used for purchasing technology for the art room.
We look forward to having you come join us for a family night of painting. Look for the registration information coming soon through email. There is only 80 seats available each night. Seats will sell out fast!! Registration confirmations will be sent as soon as payment is received.
Placement for 2019-2020
Car Riders and Tags
As the year winds down, we are asking that all car rider tags be held onto (put in your glove box!) until next year unless:
1. You are moving and not returning to Haymarket next school year.
2. Your only child is a rising 6th grader.
Any questions, please let us know!
Bullying vs Teasing
We teach the students that 3 things must be occurring to be considered bullying:
1. Someone is doing something mean
2. Repeatedly, over and over
3. For Power or Control
There are many other layers to this elementary outline, but if you ever have any questions or concerns, we are here to help! We want to make sure that everyone feels safe all the time here at Haymarket.
Final reminder to parents of rising 6th graders
If you have not already done so, please send in documentation showing that your child has received the Tdap vaccination before the end of the school year. If your child will be receiving the vaccination after the last day of school, you will need to turn the documentation into the nurse at their middle school.
Please call Nurse Kathy at 703-468-2795 if you have any questions.
Parents often ask about ways to support their child during SOL testing. Here are some tips on how you can help your student do their best:
- Keep positive attitudes about tests and encourage your student to do their best. A student who is relaxed and not stressed out will be able to concentrate more on simply doing his/her best on the test.
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s rest and a healthy breakfast in the morning.
- Help your student keep the SOLs in perspective. It is an important test, but it is only one way to measure his/her achievement…talk with your child about all the other ways he/she excels personally and academically.
- Ask about and encourage your student to use all the strategies his/her teachers have talked about and practiced with them.
- It is important to make sure your child is up and to school on time. This way he/she has plenty of time to get their materials and relax before the test begins. Additionally, SOLs are a standardized test, so if your student misses the directions, he/she cannot join his/her testing group and will need to make-up the test.
Summer School Information
We are in the continued process of planning Summer School for summer 2019. Haymarket be hosting Summer School this year. The dates are July 8th-26th. Students who meet the criteria for tuition free summer school received a form for parents to complete and return to Haymarket. Please return forms as soon as possible to secure your child’s spot. Other students, who do not meet the criteria for free Summer School, are eligible to attend by paying tuition. Please contact the front office for more information.