Recipe Book for Kids!
Cayla Hardesty- Period 4B
Follow this food pyramid to help when preparing meals for your child:
- 1 standard-sized bagel, cut in half
- tomato sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- toppings like diced green pepper, chopped onion, or chopped tomato (whatever you like)
- seasonings like oregano, basil, and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Spread tomato sauce on each bagel half.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese all over the tomato sauce on each half.
- Add your favorite toppings.
- Put a light sprinkling of seasonings on each half.
- Put your bagel halves on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven on low heat for about 5 to 8 minutes. You'll know they're done when the cheese is bubbly.
- Let cool for a minute, then enjoy your tiny pizzas!
"Wise Owl" Breakfast Toast
- English Muffin
- Peanut Butter
- Fruit of choice (recommended: strawberries, blueberries, and bananas)
- split and toast a wholemeal English breakfast muffin,
- smother it in a layer of peanut butter
- using strawberries, blueberries and banana add your wise owl features.
Fruit Stacked English Muffins
- 2 English muffins (split)
- 1 (8 oz) container of preferred yogurt
- 3/4 sliced strawberries
- Lightly toast the English muffin halves in a toaster.
- Spread each half with preferred yogurt.
- Top each half with strawberries.
- Serve while English muffins are still warm
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound ground round
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 4 1/2 ounces finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a oven over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add beef and next 4 ingredients; cook 3 minutes. Add broth, water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni; cover and cook 10 minutes or until macaroni is done.
- Heat milk and cream cheese in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar. Add cheese sauce to macaroni mixture; toss well to coat.
Magic Carpet Flat Bread Pizza
- 10oz whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon flour, for dusting
- Toppings: 1/2 cup low fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 figs, sliced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup black raisins
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Hummus: 14 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat your oven to 400°F
- On a cutting board dusted with flour, cut dough into 3 equal pieces and stretch out into rectangles. Shape the corners of each rectangle to form tassels and you’ve got magic carpets
Place magic carpets on a baking sheet and bake in your preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, or until crispy and slightly brown. Remove the flatbreads and allow to cool.
For the hummus, in a food processor add garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy. If it’s a little thick add some water.
- On each prebaked flatbread spread 3 tablespoons of hummus evenly. Place the black and golden raisins around the outside edges and sliced figs down the middle.
- Top with cheese and place back in oven for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove, garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Classic Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
- 2 slices of bread (white or wheat)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 slices of preferred cheese
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Generously butter one side of a slice of bread. Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom
- add 1 slice of cheese. Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread, butter and slice of cheese.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Wraps
- Smooth Peanut Butter
- Jelly (grape or strawberry)
- Flour tortillas
- Layout out one flour tortilla.
- Spread a layer of peanut butter over the center of the tortilla, leaving an inch clear around the edges.
- Spread a thin layer of jam or jelly over the peanut butter.
- Fold the left and right edges of the tortilla over about an inch, towards the center of the tortilla, then starting with the edge of the tortilla closest to you, roll up the tortilla.
- Cut the wrap in half with a sharp knife, in the center.
Spaghetti and Meat Balls
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup minced fresh onion
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 (25.5-ounce) jar fat-free tomato-and-basil pasta sauce, divided
- Cooking spray
- 5 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Combine the first 6 ingredients and 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce in a medium bowl.
- Shape the meat mixture into 25 (1-inch) meatballs.
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot.
- Add the meatballs, and cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Stir in remaining pasta sauce.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until the meatballs are done, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the meatballs over spaghetti, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Chicken Strips and Veggies
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut into 20 strips
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Barbecue sauce and/or honey mustard
- Dip chicken breast strips in egg whites and then in bread crumbs to completely cover
- Place chicken in nonstick baking pan, and bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, serve with desired dipping sauce. Makes 4 servings (5 pieces each).
- Add broccoli and carrots on the side for complete meal
Corn and Chile Quesadillas
- 2 Anaheim chiles (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 1/4 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded aged Gouda cheese
- Cooking spray
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut chiles in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and chop. Reduce oven temperature to 200°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add corn, onions, and pepper; sauté 2 minutes. Place mixture in a bowl; stir in chopped chiles. Wipe pan clean.
- Place about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture and 1/4 cup cheese over half of 1 tortilla. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/4 cups mushroom mixture, remaining 3/4 cup cheese, and remaining 3 tortillas. Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 1 tortilla in pan; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bottom is golden. Fold tortilla in half; place on a baking sheet. Place in 200° oven to keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas. Cut each quesadilla into wedges; serve with salsa.