Be a Wetlands Monitor
Be A Park Hero
Wetlands Restoration Monitoring Internship
Golden Gate National Recreation Area seeks a self-motivated, organized, and responsible person to serve as a Restoration Monitoring Intern with the Division of Natural Resources. The intern will be mentored by two Ecologists and assist with duties related to post-implementation monitoring of a restored creek and wetland at Muir Beach in Marin County, California.
Some time will also be spent conducting monitoring of the restored marsh at Crissy Field in San Francisco.
Primary duties will involve physical monitoring and water quality monitoring but the intern will occasionally assist with fish monitoring as well.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Water quality monitoring tasks will include surveys using hand-held meters as well as continuously recording instruments.
- The intern will be responsible for maintaining several water quality dataloggers and water level sensors. This will include downloading and managing data, calibrating instruments, troubleshooting mechanical and other issues and keeping detailed records of actions.
- The intern will also assist with topographic surveys using a total station and/or RTK GPS equipment and will create maps and graphics using ArcGIS and maintain a GIS geodatabase of monitoring stations.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS DESIRED
- Applicants should have college coursework and/or BS degree in Physical Sciences, Ecology, Biology or related field.
- Experience or interest in natural resources management, creek and wetland restoration, and physical monitoring techniques.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and strong quantitative skills.
- Ability, experience or interest utilizing technologies including GIS, total station and monitoring instrumentation.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Applicants need to be in physical condition that will allow for long days in the field, often carrying field equipment and working in chest waders in aquatic environments
- Training will be provided.
- Must possess a valid (CA) driver's license.