Valid Qualitative Research
According to Guba's Criterion
Be able to understand the complexities that present themselves and deal with patterns that are not easily explained.
Strategies to increase credibility:
- prolonged participation at study site
- persistent observation
- peer debriefing
- triangulation (using multiple methods to collect data)
- collect "slice-of-life" data items
- do member checks
- establish referential adequacy
Realize that everything is bound by context.
Strategies to increase transferability:
- collect detailed descriptive data
- develop detailed descriptions of the context
Dependability refers to the stability of the data.
Strategies to increase dependability:
- Overlap methods
- Have your method reviewed by a professor, principal, etc.
Be neutral and objective with the data you collect.
Strategies to increase confirmability:
- Practice triangulation
- Practice reflexivity and admit any biases or assumptions