Titan Talk Newsletter
Feb. 22, 2019
- 2/22 - MHS Verification Forms distributed in WINN class
- 2/23 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 noon
- 2/25 to 3/1 - RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS WEEK
- 2/25 - GIRLS WEEK Permission Forms distributed in WINN Class
- 2/26 - MILTON HIGH SCHOOL VERIFICATIONS DUE BACK
- 2/26 - Film Academy @ 4:05 - 5: 30 pm in the media center
- 2/26 - GIRLS WEEK Permission Forms DUE!
- 2/26 - Coding Club, after-school (Temske)
- 2/27 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿
GIRLS WEEK @ ELKINS POINTE: FEB 28-MARCH 8
- 2/28 to 3/2 All-State Band Location: Athens GA/Wilson
- 2/28 - FCA @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/28 - GIRLS WEEK - College Pennants & Career from 4:15 - 5:15 pm (Media Center)
- 2/28 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 - 5:30 (Location TBD)
- 2/28 - Multi-cultural Club, after-school (Location TBD)
- 2/28 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram - meet in Atrium)
- 2/28 - Japanese National Honor Society Induction Ceremony @ 5:30 pm in Media Center
- 2/28 to 3/2 - GMEA All-State Band in Athens, GA
- 3/1 - Read across Roswell Day!
- 3/1 - Interact Meeting 8 am (Mrs. Streeter’s room)
- 3/1 - Running Club @ 4:15 - 5:15 pm (Newman - meet in Atrium)
- 3/1 - GIRLS WEEK - Mindfulness Workshop in the Cafeteria from 4:15-5:15 PM.
- 3/2 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 noon
EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN'S WEEK: MARCH 4-8
TEACHER & STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK: MARCH 4-8
- 3/4 - TEACHER APPRECIATION: Grab-n-Go Breakfast @ 7:30 am (Teacher Lunchroom) - We are Lucky to Have You! St. Patty's Day
- 3/4 - GIRLS WEEK - Vision Boards from 4:15 - 5:15 pm (Media Center)
- 3/5 - TEACHER APPRECIATION: Staff Luncheon - Cinco De Mayo!
- 3/5 - Pointe Team Visits to Elementary Schools
- 3/5 - Hampton Film Academy, after-school (media center)
- 3/5 - Coder Club, after-school (Temske)
- 3/5 - GIRLS WEEK - Women Entrepreneurs - Empowering Girls' Talents in the Cafeteria from 4:15-5:15 PM. *PARENTS INVITED
- 3/5 - Band Pre-LGPE Concert for 7th & 8th grade bands It will be in the gym at 6:30.
- 3/6 - TEACHER APPRECIATION: YOU are the Heart of our school! Valentine's Day - Dessert Buffet for the staff!
- 3/6 - GIRLS WEEK - Personal Health & Self-Care in the Cafeteria from 4:15-5:15 PM.
- 3/6 - Drama Club @ 4:15 pm (E-111)
- 3/7 - TEACHER APPRECIATION - Summertime Pool Party to celebrate the TOTY/POTY Awards Breakfast @ 7:30 am (Media Center)
- 3/7 - Exceptional Children's Week Beach Party in the Media Center
- 3/7 - FCA from 7:45- 8:30 (Mr. Billups room)
- 3/7 - PTSA Board Meeting - @ 8:00 am in the Teachers Lunchroom
- 3/7 - Student Council 8:00 – E-106
- 3/7 - Hampton Film Academy- Media Center 4:05- 5:30
- 3/7 - Running Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 (Atrium/Ingram)
- 3/7 - GIRLS WEEK - -Etiquette Tea Party from 4:15- 5:15 pm in the Cafeteria
- 3/8 - SCHOOL DAY REINSTATED - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE - 3/8
FRIDAY, MARCH 8th, 2019 IS A SCHOOL DAY
- 3/8 - TEACHER APPRECIATION - "Let the Good Times Roll!" Mardi Gras Snack Cart to end the week!
- 3/8 - Interact Meeting 8:00 in (Mrs. Streeter’s room)
- 3/8 - Book Fair Set-up
- 3/8 - GIRLS WEEK: "Girls Just Want to Have Fun!” Dance Party/Celebration - 4:15-5:15 pm
- 3/9 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 noon.
- 3/10 - Daylight Savings Time - Spring Ahead!
- 3/11-3/15 - BOOK FAIR WEEK
- GIRLS WEEK @ ELKINS POINTE: FEB. 28 - MARCH 8
- TITANS GOT TALENT AUDITIONS: MARCH 4 & 5
- TEACHER & STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK: MARCH 4 - 8
- EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN'S WEEK: MARCH 4 - 8
- BOOK FAIR: MARCH 12 - 15
- BeYOUtiful WEEK: MARCH 12-15
- INTERNATIONAL NIGHT: MARCH 21
Calendar Dates to Note:
SCHOOL DAY REINSTATED - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE - 3/8
FRIDAY, MARCH 8th, 2019 IS A SCHOOL DAY
STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL - FCS CALENDAR CHANGE
* ALL STUDENTS & TEACHERS REPORT TO SCHOOL *
Note: ALL Elkins Pointe students will now have school
on the day above to make up for school closing in the fall for Election Day.
Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans,
It was a short week and a week of big things at Elkins Pointe! Congratulations to the Girls and Boys Basketball teams on a hard playing season! The Girls Basketball team ended on a high note with a hard-earned, big win! The Boys Basketball team made us proud by playing consistently well and winning many games. Go Titans!
I am excited to introduce the first-ever “Girls Week” event which will give a big kick-off to Women’s Celebration Month in March. We are partnering with the Marietta Roswell Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta who will be providing speakers for our after-school workshops. We have lined up exciting topics with hands-on activities for the girls of Elkins Pointe, such as Make Your Own College Pennant, Mindfulness & Health, "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" Dance Party, High Tea & Etiquette, and more. Please click HERE to download the permission form and to pick your girl's workshops!
A big thank you to all of our Scoliosis Screening volunteers. On Wednesday, Elkins Pointe parent volunteers and our area cluster nurses screened almost 600 students during 6th and 8th grade Connections. Each year Scoliosis Screening identifies students who have the signs of Scoliosis. Thus, allowing their parents to follow up with a physician. Thank you to Mrs. Jennifer Rodman, Cluster Nurse Jureen Oddo, Mr. Rawling Johnson, and Mr. Todd Wilson for leading this important health initiative.
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
HEART ❤️ SMART
Hoops for Hearts Kick-Off
HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!
Who Rules the Court? Titan Girls!
CONNECTED TO THE COMMUNITY
Jr. Beta is Purr..fect!
Titans Rockin' It for Angels Among Us & Trees Atlanta
Thank you for taking the survey. It should only take five to ten minutes.
PTSA Needs You!
The Elkins Pointe PTSA is looking for parents to be part of the PTSA Board and PTSA Committees. PTSA at Elkins plays critical roles in teacher/staff support, student/academic support and building our Titan community. Whether you have a lot of time or a little time, work full time or stay-at-home full time, can come to school or can help from home, there is a role for you to play. Show your child school matters. Get involved and make a difference for our Titans.
Here are some of the Board positions we currently need to be filled:
- Vice President of Academic Enrichment
- Vice President of Membership
- Vice President of Academic Support
- Vice President of Student Support
If you would like to inquire about one of the open roles, please contact any of the members of the Nominating Committee:
THINGS TO KNOW
MHS 8th Grade Course Verification Requests Due - 2/26
Note: All questions should be directed to Mr. Will Jones or your child's teachers.
GIRLS WEEK - 2/28 to 3/8
To celebrate Women’s Month in March, Elkins Pointe is hosting our first-ever Girls Week! By partnering with the women of Delta Sigma Theta, we will be offering exciting and relevant afterschool workshops! Girls are invited to participate in one or more of the workshops below. Snacks provided and sweep bus service offered.
PERMISSION FORMS DUE FEB. 26th...For permission form, click HERE.
- Thursday, Feb. 28th - College Pennant & Career Workshop from 4:15-5:00 PM in the Media Center. Women college grads share their college journeys as girls craft a college pennant.
- Friday, March 1st - Mindfulness Workshop in the Cafeteria from 4:15-5:00 PM. Girls will learn the importance of maintaining a strong, healthy mind through reflection, journaling, and yoga. Girls should come dressed in clothing for yoga, stretching, breathing, etc.
- Monday, March 4th - Vision Board Workshop in the Media Center from 4:15-5:00 PM. Girls learn the art of goal setting by creating vision boards using magazines/newspapers. This visual framework nurtures passions, formulates aspirations, and embraces positive thinking.
- Tuesday, March 5th - Women Entrepreneurs by Delta GEM in the Cafeteria from 4:15- 5:00 PM. Harness talents (e.g., baking, singing, STEM) to empower you! *Parents invited to attend!
- Wednesday, March 6th - Personal Health & Self Care Workshop in the Cafeteria from 4:15-5:00 PM. Girls learn fashion, hairstyles, daily routines, skincare (i.e., mud scrubs), manicures, etc.
- Thursday, March 7th - "High Tea" Party at the Pointe in the Cafeteria from 4:15- 5:00 PM. Girls learn etiquette skills, sip tea, enjoy biscuits, wear fancy hats, and practice manners. *Parents invited for tea!
- Friday, March 8th - "Girls Just Want to Have Fun!" Dance Party in the Cafeteria. End Girls Week with by celebrating with glow sticks, line-dancing, food, fun, team-building games, and more!
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week ☘ 💓 😎 Week of March 4-8
TEACHER & STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK is March 4th-8th, 2019. The theme is "Every Day Should Be a Holiday!"
- Monday - We are Lucky to Have You! St. Patty's Day - Irish Coffee with a Grab-N-Go Breakfast
- Tuesday - Turn Up for Tuesday/Cinco De Mayo - Fiesta Luncheon with Taco bar
- Wednesday - YOU are the Heart of our school! Valentine's Day - Dessert Buffet!
- Thursday - Summertime Pool Party to celebrate the TOTY/POTY Awards Breakfast!
- Friday - Let the Good Times Roll! Mardi Gras Snack Cart to end the week!
Help with Purchasing:
If you would like to help purchase items for our teachers and staff, please click on the Link: http://a.co/aMy2gAo
Sign Up to Help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64-teacherstaff
Titans Got Talent Auditions - 3/4 & 3/5
TITANS' GOT TALENT IS COMING TO A GYM NEAR YOU!
GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER and sign up for the Elkins Pointe Talent Expo on Friday, April 12th, presented by the PTSA and the Drama Club! This is a talent "showcase", NOT a contest, so don't be shy and join in on the FUN!
Pick up a permission form in the Media Center or click HERE!
Each Act should be no longer than 3 minutes, and you must provide your own music/props (piano and microphones will be available on stage). Individual Acts or Group Acts are welcome! Students interested in participating are required to submit the "Act Proposal" form attached at the March 4th & 5th after-school meetings to go over the details of the act.
Please come prepared to provide a preview of the Act you will be performing at the Show. In addition, if you are interested in being the "Emcee" for the Show, announcing each act with your own flair, you will have the opportunity to audition for that role at the March 4th & 5th meetings.
Please direct any questions to Jennifer Rodman: email@example.com.
2019 Book Fair Volunteers - 3/8, 3/12-3/15
Mrs. Newman and Mrs. Rickson are asking for parent volunteers for help with the Spring Book Fair. Please sign up to assist during one or a few time slots.
- SignUpGenius Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64-2019
The book fair will take place on Tuesday thru Friday (3/12 - 3/15). No book fair on Monday (3/11) due to no classes for students that day. Set up will be on Friday, March 8th. Thank you for helping make the Book Fair a success!
BeYOUtiful Week! 3/12 to 3/15
Student Council Brings self-esteem awareness to Elkins Pointe Middle School! In order to promote positivity and increase self-esteem in the student body, Elkins Pointe Student Council will sponsor “BeYOUtiful Week” from March 12th through March 15th.
Let’s recognize that beauty is from within. It does not matter what you wear, look like, how much money you make or where you come from.
BeYOUtiful is about spreading awareness of Self-Love.
- TUESDAY - Student Activity – “Leave your personal inspirations on the board.” – Students will write personal inspirations on a sticky note and post on chart paper in the rotunda.
- WEDNESDAY - Student Activity – Students will use their social media to tag someone with a compliment and receive a treat.
- THURSDAY - Student Activity - Students will “boost their selfiesteem” by taking a selfie at the Selfie Booth to combat the negative impact of media on self- image.
- FRIDAY - Student Activity – ‘Catwalk with Courage’ – A long piece of red paper will be taped to the floor in the Rotunda, and students can walk to the end to exemplify their end to body shame and poor self-esteem.
International Night - 3/21
RISING 6TH GRADE PARENTS
6th Grade Transition Dates 2019
Pointe Team Members Visit Elementary Schools on Tuesday, March 5, 2019:
- Mimosa – 9:00 – 9:45
- Sweet Apple – 10:00 – 10:45
- Vickery Mill – 11:00 – 11:45
- Hembree Springs – 1:30 – 2:15
Rising 6th Grade Parent Meetings:
ENGLISH PARENT MEETING is on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, in the CAFETERIA
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the GYM
SPANISH PARENT MEETING is on Thursday, March 12, 2019, in the Cafeteria
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the Cafeteria
Rising 6th Grader Visits to EPMS:
- Mimosa Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Vickery Mill Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Sweet Apple Elementary – May 16, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Hembree Springs – May 17, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
GA Milestones Testing Dates (Grades 4, 6, 7):
- May 6 - Reading
- May 7-8 – ELA
- May 9-10 – Math
- May 13-14 Make-Up Days
AVID Process for Rising 6th Grade
THINGS IN THE COMMUNITY
Parent University @ MHS - 2/27
Save the Date for the Teen Summit - March 2019
Cheap Internet Opportunities
Several area companies have cheap wireless internet available to low-income families. Here are two programs available in our area:
- Comcast Internet Essentials ($9.95/month) https://internetessentials.com/ (must have one child in the home eligible for free and reduced to lunch to qualify)
- AT&T Access ($5.00-$10.00/month depending on speed) https://www.att.com/shop/internet/access/#/ (must have at least one person in the house on food assistance (food stamps) to qualify)