Things to Know
Grand Prairie ISD Experience
2 TEA designated T-STEM Schools - Only 17 in the whole state!!
And we have two of them:
- Young Women's Leadership Academy
- Grand Prairie Collegiate Institute
Aerospace Academy launching now and through the next two years:
- Vertically aligned K-12
- Culminates with students receiving FAA certification
- Air Traffic Controller
- UAS (drone) Pilot
- Aircraft Mechanic
- Private Pilot
- Ochoa - STEM Engineering
- DeZavala - Environmental
- Rayburn - STEAM
- Travis - STEM
- Jackson - Environmental Engineering
- GPCI - Engineering
- YWLA - Aerospace & BioMedical
- SGP - Environmental Engineering, Vet Tech, Robotics
- Dubiski - Engineering
Gifted & Talented Program
- GPISD’s Gifted and Talented Program is an exemplary program with GT Specialists who have 12 graduate hours in Gifted Education serving every elementary and middle school.
- GPISD’s School for the Highly Gifted is one of few programs across the state designed to meet the unique needs of the top 1-2% of the gifted population. A number of dignitaries have visited the SHG including superintendents, board members, and staff from other schools for the gifted, as well as university professors.
- GPISD participates in Destination Imagination, an international competition in creative problem solving for kindergarten through 12th grade. Our students have frequently advanced to compete at the state and national levels of competition in recent years.
- GPISD Advanced Academics hosts Camp Invention each summer, where students in first through sixth grades participate in exciting, hands-on learning in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Through a generous grant from Lockheed Martin, our students attend the camp at a significantly reduced rate.
- SGPH and GPHS participate in Academic Decathlon, and both schools have Academic Decathlon students who graduated to attend ivy league and top tier universities on full scholarships.
- GPISD offers all of the following programs free of charge to our students: PSAT 8/9 for all 8th graders, PSAT NMSQT for all 10th graders, SAT for all 11th graders, and AP exams for all AP students.
- A number of GPISD 8th graders each year participate in the AP Spanish Language course and qualify for up to 16 hours of college credit at state universities based on their score.
- AP scores for GPISD students potentially saved parents over $1 million dollars in tuition costs based on qualifying scores and average state tuition fees in 2015.
GPISD's Dual Language Program Highlights:
- Our Pre-K 2-Way Dual Language program has been identified as an exemplary program for learning English and Spanish by the National Association for Bilingual Education.
- GPISD's Dual Language program serves as a model program and has been visited by many Texas school districts, as well as partnership with Alaska.
- GPISD students who participate in Dual Language consistently have high academic achievement while learning in English and Spanish.
For additional information:
Contact Darla Staggs at (972) 822-4257