A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of September 9, 2019
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Start NWEA MAP Testing on Monday, September 9
- Progress Reports go home on Monday, September 9
- Elementary Fall Math Support (Gr 3-5) on Monday, September 9 at 4:00 pm at Admin Conference Room (Sign up in Eduphoria)
- Cabinet Visit on Tuesday, September 10
- Flu Shot Clinic on Tuesday, September 10 in the Intervention Classroom (Portable Building). Employees MUST REGISTER for the Flu Shot Clinic to guarantee they will receive the flu shot. As instructed on the registration website, employees will need to have a copy of their insurance card, and the printed VAR form completed and brought to the clinic. The website is www.wacoisd.org/flushot.
- Adopt-A-Cop program (Gr 5) on Wednesday, September 11 at 9:00 am in cafeteria
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, September 11
- Cards for Troops due to Helton on Wednesday, September 11
- PLCs on Thursday, September 12
- Tribe Buddy Day on Friday, September 13 **Wear your favorite comic book character tshirt**
- Ms. Mendoza's Baby Shower on Monday, September 16 at 3:30 pm in Library!!
- Vertical Math Planning (1/2 Day) on Tuesday, September 17 from 12-4 pm with Mr. A
- ELL Toolkit (Listening & Speaking) on Tuesday, September 17 at 4 pm, Mountainview Elementary
- Blended Learning Meeting on Tuesday, September 17 at 4:30 pm at Admin Building Conference Room
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, September 18
- PLCs on Thursday, September 19
- Mentor Orientation/Work Day for First Presbyterian on Saturday, September 21
Coming Up: Goal Setting Conferences (Week of September 23)
Letter From A Parent
First Presbyterian will be having a work day at Alta Vista on Saturday, September 21. If you have anything you would like help with, please email me (IE: cutting out laminating, bulletin board, assembling folders, etc).
Make sure you have a SAFE PLACE in your classroom. Also, work on posting your CHAMPS posters. These will help reinforce your classroom expectations. We haven't seen many posted yet. The most important part of CHAMPS is REVIEW EXPECTATIONS every time you transition (no matter the age!).
Remember that all staff should be actively monitoring students during recess. Teachers should be spread out around the playground so it can be viewed at all angles-not sitting or standing together in one spot. You should be talking and visiting with students as well during this time; this is a great opportunity to increase your positive interaction ratio!
Thank you so much for your help with implementing our new attendance initiatives this week! Keep sending your roster at 8:15 am for us to call parents--it's helping! This is a great job for a classmate. Don't forget to add a popcorn kernel to your class chart for each day you have perfect attendance. Let Ms. Koenig know if you need a popcorn chart or kernels. You will also email her when you have your chart filled up so your class can receive its treat!
Conscious Discipline & CHAMPS
Our focus for the month of September in Morning Meetings will be RESPECT. Lesson plans are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CKGLd2hn8dPg2xRt1t3awHEEbzsZ7uApYstsxw2me1w/edit?usp=sharing
Required activities for the month are the cards for troops on September 11, and starting our year-long kindness challenge on September 16 (with Kindness "Tree").
We can't wait to see the great activities you have planned with your Tribe Buddy for September 13. Don't forget to send your pics to Ms. Koenig for her to post (you earn Tribe points). Staff and students may wear their favorite comic character tshirt.
To enter points for Tribes, fill out this short form: https://forms.gle/kZS51dT5dskoJ8bC9
Teachers do not have to put in a grade for every assignment for every student. For example, if you are recording grades for 3 assignments in reading, and a dyslexia student misses an assignment due to pull out services, then you can leave the grade for one of those assignments blank (note pull out services) as long as you record at least 2 other grades for the week. Students should not be penalized for missing work for pull-out services, and they should not lose recess or lunch time to make up assignments. Use teacher discretion and have students make up required assignments during station time or other independent practice time.
Please review the district grading policy here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-nxOHwVaBsDAGP5JRFs3WChDyU6BNqvo
The process for GT nominations has changed slightly to please read carefully. All questionnaires, except the Nomination Form, must be completed digitally using Google forms this year.
Resources for nominations: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/108WZ9JV6AxoCl_DlFTIRRx4_ESvXGPAL?usp=sharing
1. Have parent give permission to test for GT using the "Nomination Form." https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oAbtziak_xOpyRzsfgM2vRHKh3m8ECejg6JTU-2kxw4/edit?usp=sharing
2. Send home the link to the digital Parent Questionnaire or provide parent with a paper copy. You will have to input the parent questionnaire answers into the digital Parent Questionnaire. bit.ly/gtnomparent
3. Complete the digital Teacher Questionnaire. http://bit.ly/gtnomteacher
4. Have your student use a computer to complete the digital Student Questionnaire. bit.ly/gtnomstudent
Teacher login: www.dreambox.com
School website for students: https://play.dreambox.com/login/b4aj/7uzr
School Code for the Ipad app: b4aj/7uzr
Resources for Motivation: https://insight.dreambox.com/dbl-resources
Introducing to your Class: https://www.dreambox.com/assets/dashboard/introducing-dreambox-to-your-students.pdf
See chart below for campus expectations for usage. If you need any help getting going, please talk to Mrs. Helton.
NWEA MAP Testing
Before testing starts, you need to watch the short video below and then view the 2 learning modules discussed in the video.
Goal Setting Conference
You can use this template (Make A Copy to Google Drive): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M2ZwXKdJ9PsXpqhapBPnI11s_1LHGo6p_uDy_oIr4Uo/edit?usp=sharing
Here is the goal setting conference form to use with families: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aybVVcpRx7JQ1UAwh5Yfm5vnCrrNwsDY0qUWXdPkZO4
Here are some other sample data forms: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ApNZ31h-sJ-nRVaUt4ywjqxDq9pAVMxZ7vetLZeB9x4
Math & Science Vertical Planning Days
Math Planning Dates (Grades K-5): September 17, October 28, December 10, February 18
Science Planning Date (Grades 3-5 Only): October 15, November 12, January 10, February 19
Please work with Ms. Bonnie to secure subs for these days (grades 3-5 only). Grades K-2 will use the aides assigned to their grade level.
Box Cards & One Eyed Jacks Training for Math Coming November 14
Grades 3-5 Training: 8 am - 11 am
Grades 1-2 Training: 12 pm - 3 pm
You will need to create a 1/2 Day School Business Absence in TEAMS (7:45-11:45 or 11:45-3:45). Please work with Ms. Bonnie to secure subs. The subs in the morning will be able to cover the afternoon classes for the lower grades (if you don't have an aid in your room).