Articles of Confederation
- Drawn up by the Second Continental Congress
- Came with unified army for United States
- Legislature set up where each state had one vote
- Controlled and built an army
- Could deal with foreign countries on behalf of the United States
- National government was not allowed to enforce laws, even if ratified states could ignore them
- National government couldn't tax
- 9 out of 13 states approval was required to pass a law
- all 13 was required in order to amend a law
- No executive or judicial branch
- Caused each state to suffer economically when states started taxing one another and hurting trade
Why a Weak Central Government?
I believe a weak central government was created under the Articles of Confederation because they wanted it to be able to be controlled easily and not over power the articles.