May 15, 2021
Odds and Ends from BES
This week has been filled with campouts in our first grade classrooms, butterflies emerging in second grade, putt putt courses being designed and created by 3rd graders, and lots more projects in other grades. I'm so incredibly proud of our staff as they have continued to maintain focus and high expectation as to maximize every day of instruction. A few specific notes:
- Quantum Learning Distinguished School- Yesterday we had a virtual visit from our Quantum experts and they visited each classroom and then spent the afternoon reviewing a portfolio that staff had created. Monday night at the board meeting we will be featured and will have Quantum join the Board of Education virtually to discuss Berryton's accomplishments. This has been a team effort and has strengthened our building. Special shoutout to Mrs. Hurla who worked directly with Quantum to orchestrate this process and also to our Lead Learners that guided teams of teachers: Joy Baker, Beth Baldwin, Melissa Boyer, Melissa DePriest, Linda Dishman, and Alyssa Metcalf.
- Resources for Parents on Snapchat- One trend that we've noticed increasingly is students struggling with conflict related to social media usage, particularly with Snapchat. We strongly encourage each of you to be vigilantly talking to students about technology usage. We discuss this frequently with students at school and have an entire digital citizenship unit for students. I've attached a really simple tool from Common Sense Media all about Snapchat.
- Field Day- Lots of information is listed below for Field Day including a form that families will need to complete if they plan to take students from school early.
- William Allen White Luncheon- We have a small group of students that read every William Allen White novel and have earned a careered luncheon with Mrs. Baker and Mr. Hirsch. We will be joined by a few authors and look forward to celebrating with our Buffalos.
- Yearbooks- We anticipate Yearbooks will be arriving in the near future. For students in person we will distribute these on May 21st. For fully remote students these will be distributed at the celebration at Lake Shawnee on the last day of school.
- Returning Home Learning Toolkits- In September we sent home learning toolkits to all of our students so that they would have the necessary basic supplies since we were in hybrid at that time. We ask that families return these toolkits or any piece of these toolkits that are still in good shape. Thanks for your assistance with this.
- Spirit Day this Wednesday- For this Wednesday we invite Buffalos to show off any team that they cheer for or play for. Go Team!
With Buffalo Pride,
Congratulations Mrs. Crosson and Mrs. Gunn
Field Day Information.
5/18- Amigos Night from 5-8:30
5/18- 5th and 6th grade Orchestra Concert at SHHS- 6:15 pm (students need to arrive by 5:45)
5/18- 5th and 6th grade Band Concert at SHHS- 7:30 pm (students need to arrive at 7:00)
5/24- 6th Grade Visit to SHMS
5/27- Field Day at BES
5/28- Last Day of School
As an elementary principal I enjoy working collaboratively with staff members to support student learning. I am passionate about continuing to learn professionally, and building relationships with staff and students at Berryton Elementary. When I'm not serving at Berryton Elementary I am usually with my husband and two sons. We can be found at sporting events, cheering on Kansas State University, or just enjoying a movie at home.