SLP Superintendent's Newsletter
Week of December 10, 2018
SUPERINTENDENT PATRICK JENKINS
Congratulations to Eunice High School Football Team on their Class 3A Championship! Friday night was amazing and electric. I would also like to thank the EHS staff and administrator as well as the City of Eunice for their support of our students and Athletes (Football team, Band, Cheer, Dancers, Flag team, etc.). I think the whole city of Eunice was in New Orleans Friday night!!! How about that Bobcat Magic!
Reflection and Moving Forward!
As we close the first semester of school, have you had an opportunity to reflect on our mission and vision statements as well as our Standards of Performance? Both are powerful components of our successes last year and this year in SLPSD. However, both depend on the contributions of the students, parents, faculty, and staff. In essence, I believe what SLPSD has learned through its experiences and what I have learned through sports and my leadership experiences are that the most effective way to forge a winning team is to call on people’s need to connect to something larger than themselves. It requires individuals involved to surrender their self-interest for the greater good so the whole adds up to more than the sum of its parts. Thus the saying, “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” Bill Russell of the Chicago Bulls probably said it best, “Most teams have guys who want to win, but aren’t willing to do what it takes. What it takes is to give yourself over to the team and play your part. That may not always make you happy, but you’ve got to do it. Because when you do, that’s when you win.” What a team we have in St Landry Parish! Keep expanding and embracing the vision set forth by SLPSB in which the group imperatives take precedence over individual glory, and success comes from being awake, aware, and in tune with others!
Excellence in education for every student, every day!
Things to review as the semester comes to an end.
- Grades (Report Card)
- Review the Pupil Progression Plan (PPP) with all staff before the semester ends
- Ensure that teachers have enough grades to justify the grade students will get for the nine-week period and semester.
- Please ensure that each teacher's grades are correct and that you have comments for any “D” or “F” grades JPAMS
- No incomplete grades on the final report card
- Please schedule conferences as soon as possible to address any concerns especially Ds or Fs and semester failures. Please ensure that you are discussing Promotion In Jeopardy (PIJ) with parents and documenting all interventions.
- Discuss with your school cluster dates that report card will be mailed or sent home
- High School Only - Ensure that all students that have failed for the semester have been identified and scheduled for credit recovery in January. Send Mrs. Cassimere all documentation for enrollment for their online courses.
Updated Documents - Be ready to share these with me and/or Mrs. Angela Cassimere.
- At the end of the semester be prepared to discuss and present the following to me and/or Mrs. Cassimere:
- Action Plan for the spring of 2018
- Attendance Data for students and Teacher
- See Mr. Robinson or Tricia Thomassee for assistance
- Discipline Data (see Mr. Robinson for assistance)
- # of ISS
- # of OSS
- The primary type of referrals
- Academic Data
- High Schools
- Graduation Rates, Strength of Diploma, etc.
- Growth to Mastery Data
- # of Students on track to graduate at the end of 9th grade
- Be prepared to discuss a specific plan of action for LEAP 2025 areas of concern
- Subgroup data
- Accountability Tracker Data updates for 2018-19 (see Mrs. Cassimere for an updated copy, if you don't have it)
- Data for incoming 10, 11, 12-grade students
- I will need all freshmen input into the tracker
- Elementary schools (pk-8)
- DCAI data
- # of classes with Carnegie units awarded
- Students on track (age, academic, etc.) to complete 8th grade and 9th grade
- # of overage students (2 or more retentions)
- # of students at Mastery or above on LEAP 2025
- Growth to Mastery data
- Classroom at a glance
- Be prepared to discuss
- See attached
- High Schools
- # of students receiving SPED accommodations
- # of 504 students
- Sub Group data
- Physical Plant assessment plan of improvement for the summer
- Clean, fix or replace water fountains inside your buildings
- All floors should free on debris and clean daily
- Floors stripped and Highly polished
- Grounds clean and manicures
- Technology Plan
- Identify technology concerns
- Identify # of devices on your campus
- Update frequently
- identity Items to add or delete from the site
- School Finder information review and update
- Have your staff Review Safe Schools for any incomplete or updated training modules.
- if you have any support staff members that need additional training, Safe Schools can provide extra training in the forms of those listed below, to name a few.
- Nutrition Services
- Special Education
Please contact Mrs. Gloria Malbrough if you need assistance.
SLPSB Upcoming Events
St. Landry Parish District Science Fair
Date: December 12, 2018
Location: Northwest High School
St. Landry Parish Basketball Tournament
Date: December 13th - 16th
Location: Opelousas High School
SUPERVISOR OF CHILD WELFARE AND ATTENDANCE JEROME ROBINSON
Reminder: School Health Survey
Starting on Tuesday, October 16, 2018, you will be required to submit a copy of the correspondence/letter that you are using to notify parents when students are in jeopardy of receiving an LA-15 for excessive unexcused absences. The correspondence/letter must be submitted along with the LA-15 form to the Census Department. NOTE: LA-15’s are generated on J-Campus after a student misses five(5) unexcused absences.
SUPERVISOR OF PERSONNEL - MATTHEW SCRUGGINS
Online Adapted Physical Education Add-on: summer 2019 cohort
Requirements for Certification: (https://www.teachlouisiana.net/Teachers.aspx?PageID=12311128)
1. A Valid Type A, B, C Level 1, 2 or 3 Louisiana certificate in Physical Education (the candidate is responsible for assuring that all requirements (courses and certifications) for Add-on Adapted Physical Education are met and should apply as directed in the link above).
2. Courses offering area as follows: (Lesson Implementation Required at home or nearby school*).
a. Introduction to Physical Education with Handicapped Individuals (Nicholls course HPED 393. Introducing Physical Education for All Children with Disabilities offered summer 2019, WWW format full term).
b. Behavior and Educations Impairment and PE (Nicholls course *HPED 494. Behavior Impairment and Physical Education offered fall 2019, WWW format full term).
c. Chronic Disability and PE (Nicholls course *HPED 495. Chronic Disability and Physical Education, offered spring 2020, WWW format full term).
d. Physical Educator Curriculum for Handicapped Children (Nicholls course HPED 496. The Physical Education Curriculum for All Children with Disabilities, offered summer 2020, WWW format full term).
Steps to enrolling in these courses at Nicholls State:
- Go to www.nicholls.edu/admission/apply to complete the application for summer 2019. Please complete your personal information and then choose the appropriate application type and major:
- Graduate School: PSYC/EDUC then Non-Degree Seeking
Undergraduate School: Visitor Status or presently enrolled in HPED see your advisor
SUPERVISOR OF STEAM - THERESE ELLENDER, Ed.D.
New: 2019 Jump Start Convention
Registration for the 2019 Jump Start Convention is now open until December 31. The convention will be held at the Raising Cane’s River Center in Baton Rouge on January 29, 2019. Sessions at the convention will provide school systems with important information related to building stronger Jump Start pathways.
● Accessing Post-secondary Opportunities: Financial Aid, TOPS, Dual Enrollment, and Advanced Placement
● Career Readiness: Quest For Success and Other Course Options
● CTE Leadership Academy
● Health Sciences Updates
● Instructor Training and the Value of Externships
● Jump Start 2.0
● Jump Start Summers/Jump Start After Hours
● Using SIS/STS to Track Credentials
Supervisor of Instruction, School Choice, & School Improvement - Trina Preston
Reminder: LEAP 2025 Practice Test Webinar for Teachers/Supervisors
● Webinar Date and Time: January 9 at 11:30 a.m
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/993597977
● Webinar Phone Number: 669-900-6833
● Meeting ID#: 993597977
Teachers and Content Supervisors
● Webinar Date and Time: January 9 at 4:00 p.m.
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/175295115
● Webinar Phone Number: 646-876-9923
● Meeting ID#: 175295115
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.