The perfect mesh of both fashion and business...
Fashion Merchandisers are experts in fashion marketing through different platforms, like social media. They are retail experts who exercise leadership, teamwork, and management skills. They plan and make all their decisions based on the latest fashion trends. They are concerned with advertisements, placements, and sales of their products.
Degree needed for this job
The minimum degree needed for this job is a bachelor's degree related to merchandising, sales, and/or marketing.
Approximate cost of education
A bachelor's degree in this field will cost on average $34,349 yearly, with a total cost of $137,396 for a total of 4 years.
Colleges that offer this degree
- ITT Technical Institute
- Grand Canyon
- Full Sail University
- Northcentral University
What types of classes will you take for your degree?
- Business Administration
- Business Management
- Internet Marketing
- Fashion Business
Entrance Requirements (FIDM)
- Official transcripts
- SAT/ACT scores
- Letters of recommendation
- Admissions Essay
- Portfolio and entrance project
- Information and authorization form
- Acknowledgement/ understanding of education requirements
WHAt job skills and talents are needed for this field?
- Love of fashion
- Business and marketing skills
- Problem solving skills
- Buying, selling, promoting
- Communication skills
- Being able to forecast future fashion trends
What personality traits are needed for this field?
- You want to have a knack for predicting trends.
- You should be able to thrive in a fast paced environment.
- You should be a critical thinker.
- You should be organized, and enjoy organizing events or projects.
- You should love a challenge.
- Have your own taste and personal style.
- Enjoy styling wardrobe and putting outfits together.
- Its great to be a good public speaker who can build strong relationships/connect with an audience.
How I am suited for this career
I love fashion, getting up to date with all the current trends, and researching the predictions on what the next trends will be. I love being in charge and organizing projects. For example I was in charge of the February run in the Fashion Show and I got to choose everything within it: if they walked in pairs, what formation they walked the runway in, what clothes/theme they should follow, what music should be played. It was challenging and helped me with my leadership skills because I had to communicate what I wanted and demonstrate it.
Internships for Merchandise Marketing are offered at many schools where the coursework is:
- Merchandise planning and control
- Fashion analysis and forecasting
- Visual merchandising
- Consumer textiles
- Management principles
- Multi-channel retailing
Who or what inspired me to pursue this career?
The fashion club at Leyden made me think about pursuing a career in fashion. It helped me realize that my favorite parts of fashion is the business aspects and not modeling or designed. Advertising, setting up stores, or social media marketing are things that interest me way more. I was also inspired by fashion bloggers, like Carli Bybel, who take today's fashion trends and show how to style them or give their own interpretation. I love watching look books online and haul videos by people, like Carli, that are about fashion trends.