iCan@KellerHarvel week of September 22
Dates to Remember
9/15 - 10/2 - Take the First Step Together - KISD Wellness Initiative
9/24 - All Big Kahuna fundraiser orders are due.
9/26 - PTA Meeting at 5:30 in the cafe followed by the Cody Fisher Magic Show & PTA Membership drive.
10/3 - Book Fair Opens
10/3 - EARLY RELEASE AT 12:00/ Parent Conferences
10/6 - 10/10 Book Fair
10/6 - 3rd grade attends "Shrek the Musical" at Fossil Ridge High School
10/7 Student Pictures
10/9 - PTA Meeting - Dr. Reid will be at our school to answer any questions regarding the upcoming bond election. You won’t want to miss it. Following Dr. Reid, we will start our fun night of math!
10/10 - Cowboys with Character assemblies (grade level times will be shared soon)
10/13 - STUDENT HOLIDAY
Big Kahuna Fundraiser
thank you to everyone who has helped with our school fundraiser this year. There is still time if you have the time to get more orders. Please remember to turn in all orders by September 24th.
Our goal is to have one laptop cart for each grade level so that each grade level has the freedom to use the laptops more often and with your help we can make this happen! We currently have 2 laptop carts and would like to add at least 3 more. Students are able to earn prizes, LIKE THESE FUN BEARDS. Students have also won ducks as prizes too. We will two more drawings and one lucky student will win the BIG duck. :)
Online orders and online donations are an option for all of our families too. Just go to www.shop.bigkahunafun.com Our school id is 1022. When asked for the student ID number, look for the number in the upper left hand corner of the order form. The date of delivery will be on October 21st. You will be able to pick items up from our cafeteria.
KHES Art Club sign ups start on Monday
Beginning October the 8th, Art Club will be on Wednesdays from 3:00 - 4:00 in the Art room
New classes are held every 6 weeks and 20 students will be able to sign up at at a time.
Students may sign up beginning Monday, Sept. 22 at 7:30 right outside the Art room door.
If you have any questions, please contact Art teacher, Kirsten Laurie at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Digital Message
http://streetersleaders.edublogs.org/ to see more.
A Note from Nurse Rhonda
Taking the First Step Together
Keller ISD Health Services is launching its Take the First STEP Together initiative September 15 through October 10 to emphasize the importance of Exercise, Nutrition, Water, and a Positive Life to a healthy lifestyle.
Campuses will be focusing on each component for a week at a time from September 15 through October 10 which will involve various campus activities and contests.
ExerciSe (Sept. 15-19) – Focus on exercise and physical activity
NuTrition (Sept. 22-26) – 5-a-Day Nutrition Challenge (sponsored by Sodexo)
WatEr (Sept. 29-Oct. 3) – Promoting the benefits of drinking water throughout the day
Positive Life (Oct. 6-10) – The Story of My Life (sponsored by KISD Guidance and Counseling)
The Take the First STEP Together event will also feature a District-wide Healthy Bingo Challenge. Students will receive Bingo cards on Monday, September 15 and are asked to return them to their campus on October 10.
For the week of Sept. 15th, try something fun and different. For example...
- Popcorn pushups - put a small bowl of popcorn on the floor. Lower yourself down and stick out your tongue to get a piece of popcorn with each pushup.
- Wheelbarrow, Crab, and Bear-walk races - These tough positions mean you get a real workout.
- Headstands - Great for the core muscles and gets blood going to the brain.
- Pillow fight - No explanation needed.
You are all very talented with video and photos so please share photos or videos of you and your family exercising to Nurse Rhonda at email@example.com
So join with Keller ISD this fall as we encourage our students to live a healthier lifestyle through Exercise, Nutrition, Water, and Positive Living! Let's Take the First STEP... Together!
- Jane Evans, Asst. Prin.
- Tori Boucher, Kinder
- April Guy, 1st
- Louisa Brunson, 2nd
- Marsha Juro, 3rd
- Lauralyn Sunseri, 4th
- Karen Cox, Dyslexia & Community Representative
- Stephen Smith, Counselor & Non-teaching professional
- April Wetzig, parent & PTA President
- Justin McCord, parent
If you are still interested in being a part of the CEIC, please contact Campus Secretary, Jenni Hill for the application.
Parent Education - Helping YOU Help your KIDS
Atomic Learning is a resource available to KISD students and their families. Find tutorials on common software, workshops and emerging topics, such as blogging, Twitter and Internet safety. Log on today! Just go to https://www.atomiclearning.com/login/kellerisd
Dyslexia Simulation - October 16th at 1:00 pm
A Message from Lucy Calkins: "Read your writing like it's Gold!"
Dates and Times
Option 1: Sept. 23 (5:30- 8:00 PM)
Option 2: Sept. 27 (9:00- 11:30 AM)
Option 3: Sept. 27 (1:30- 4:00 PM)
The Education Center, 350 Keller Pkwy, Keller, 76248
What topics will we learn about?
You can choose to attend up to 4 sessions. The session choices are:
- Home Access Center (Gradebook)
- Google Apps for Education
- Digital Citizenship
Extra Curricular Activities at KHES
When - Mondays 3:00 - 3:45 staring on October 6th
Registration- click HERE
KHES Art Club
When - Wednesdays from 3:00 - 4:00 in the Art room
New classes every 6 weeks. 20 students will be able to sign up at at a time.
Students may sign up beginning Sept. 22 at 7:30 right outside the Art room door.
Classes begin Wednesday, October 8th
KHES Music Club
When - Dates and sign up information will be shared soon.
Young Rembrandt's Art Enrichment Program
When -Thursdays 9/4 - 10/23 from 3:05-4:05 in our Science Lab
Registration - www.youngrembrandts.com/northcentral-tx/default.aspx
When - Wednesdays 9/24 - 11/12 (1st session) from 3:05-4:05 in our Science Lab
Registration information will be shared soon.
When - Tuesdays 10/7-12/16 & 1/13-3/24 in the Science Lab and/or KHES Library
Registration - http://spanishprogram.wix.com/kellerharvel-afterschool
When - Wednesdays beginning 9/17 from 3:00-4:00 in the KHES Library
Registration - http://dramakids.com/tx9/keller-isd-classes/
An Update from April Wetzig, PTA President
Don't Forget -
- Friday, Sept. 26th 6:30pm - The Magic of Membership - a magic show that the whole family will love! We hope to see you there!
- Thursday, Oct. 9th 5:45pm - PTA general meeting & Math Night - Dr. Reid will be at our school to answer any questions regarding the upcoming bond election. You won’t want to miss it. Following Dr. Reid, we will start our fun night of math
- Ready to volunteer? Go to https://kellerharvelpta.membershiptoolkit.com/story/1020
KHES PTA is amazing! But I'm sure you already knew that! :)
September 26 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Family Fun Night Magic Show
October 9 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Math Night
November 20 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Open House
February 5 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Literacy Night
March 26 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Science Fair
April 9 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Summer Fun Fair/PTA Elections
May 8 ~ PTA General Membership Meeting & Movie Night
Board of Trustees Votes to Call Bond Election
Need more facts about the Bond election? For more information about the 2014 Keller ISD bond package, visit www.KellerISD.net/bond.
Early voting is October 20-31, 2014 and Election Day is November 4, 2014.
Getting the News Out to You!
Remind 101 is now called "Remind"
Communication Tools - UPDATE
- Edmodo - This allow teachers to send out immediate updates, pictures and messages to parent groups. Teachers have the option to set up accounts with you after the school year begins so that you are able to stay in touch and communicate freely with your child's teacher. Once you sign up if you have more than one child in Keller ISD, all of your students' accounts will be listed under one parent account!
- Remind - Are you interested in signing up for Remind ? It takes just a few minutes. To sign up for Keller Harvel Families notifications, please visit https://www.remind.com/join/kellerha If you've already signed up, you will still receive all text messages sent. If your family is moving next school year or you wish to opt out, instructions are also included.
- School Messenger - sends out an email and/or a voice mail with updates. Keeping your email current is a must to receive messages. If your email changes, please be sure and give us a call.
- Facebook - like us on Facebook and see pictures, read updates, and/or events. You do need a Facebook account to see us. Once you have an account, just search for Keller Harvel - KISD.
- Twitter - If you have a Twitter account, start following us @KellerHarvelES.
- KHES Weekly Updates - these are sent out every Friday to keep you up to date on upcoming news and also includes reminders as well.