WELCOME BACK COUGARS!
2023-2024 School Year
Dear Copper Hill Community,
We hope this message finds you well and refreshed after a wonderful summer break. As we stand on the threshold of a new school year, I am filled with excitement and anticipation for the great journey ahead. Whether you are returning students, new students, parents, guardians, faculty, or staff, I extend to you a warm and heartfelt welcome to the Cougar Community!
Our school is more than just a place of learning; it's a energetic community where each member plays an integral role in shaping the experiences and opportunities we offer. As we embark on this journey together, I want to emphasize our commitment to fostering an inclusive, supportive, and stimulating environment for every individual who walks through our doors.
I encourage our students to embrace curiosity, ask questions, and explore new ideas. Our dedicated faculty has been preparing diligently to provide you with engaging and enriching learning experiences that will ignite your passions and prepare you for the future. To parents and guardians, I extend my gratitude for entrusting us with your child's education. We value your partnership and look forward to working together to support your child's growth.
Throughout the year, you can expect a range of activities, events, and opportunities that bring our students and families together. Please keep an eye out for regular communication from us and our PTO, including newsletters, announcements, and updates on our school's website and social media platforms. Your involvement and participation are essential to our collective success and partnership.
Once again, welcome back to Copper Hill School! May this school year be one of growth, learning, and memorable moments that will stay with your children for a lifetime. This year our Cougars are BRAVE, SMART, KIND, and POWERFUL!
Be on the lookout for our welcome back video coming soon!
Any questions, or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out.
Jesse Lockett & Tania Kelly
NEW STAFF MEMBERS!
Please join us in welcoming our new teaching assistants to the Copper Hill team!
Marie Schess (Robert Hunter Transfer)
8/29/23-Mrs. Kelly Meet and Greet ("pop" in anytime between 5-7pm)9/7/23- First Day of School for Students
9/15/23- Ice Pop Social 5:30 p.m.
9/21/23- Early Dismissal, Back to School Night
9/25/23- School Closed, Yom Kippur
9/27/23- PTO Community Meeting
10/2-10/4/23- Picture Days (Schedule to Follow)
Absences and Changes in Your Child's Routine!
- If your child is ABSENT or TARDY for any reason, please call the Copper Hill ATTENDANCE LINE by dialing 908-284-7665 or report an absence online here. Leave a message detailing the nature of the absence, your child’s name and his/her teacher’s name. Messages may be left at any time of night or morning and are retrieved on a daily basis.
- If your child needs to be DISMISSED EARLY, please send a note to school with your child in the morning, listing the time for pick-up and the reason. Children leaving school prior to 3:25 pm will be marked as an early dismissal. Please note, three tardies or early dismissals count as one absence.
- If your child normally rides the bus but will need to be PICKED UP at dismissal time, please send a note with your child that morning.
- Please DO NOT leave information regarding your child’s change in dismissal on a teacher’s e-mail or voicemail. They often do not have an opportunity to check their e-mail during the day and your message may not be communicated.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE SEND A NOTE WITH YOUR CHILD IN THE MORNING FOR ANY CHANGE IN YOUR CHILD'S ROUTINE.
Arrival and Dismissal Locations
Parent drop-off and pick-up at gym entrance
YMCA before-care at gym overhang
Buses drop-off at blacktop by playground
Van drop-off at front entrance
Preschool drop-off at preschool entrance
Safety and Security
- Do not hold any doors for visitors.
- Use the crosswalks in the parking lot.
- Obey the 15 mph speed limit in our parking lot.
- Student drop off begins at 8:45 am. Please wait at the stop sign, until being waved on by one of our staff members wearing bright green vests.
- When exiting the drop off area, please be aware of buses that may still be entering the back parking lot or leaving the school.
- If you are dropping your child off after 8:55 am, please park your car in the main parking lot and walk your child into the building and check in with the main office.
- DO NOT park your vehicle in the front driveway of the building.
- For the safety and security of our staff and students, monthly fire and security drills are conducted.
Raptor Security System
Our DISTRICT is pleased to announce that we will begin using the Raptor Visitor Management System in all of our schools to strengthen our program of campus safety for students and faculty. Part of keeping students and faculty safe is knowing who is in our buildings at all times, and the Raptor system will allow us to do that. The Raptor system will better allow us to screen visitors, contractors, and volunteers in our schools and provide us with a safer environment for our students and staff.
Upon entering a district building, visitors will be asked to present an ID such as a Driver’s License, which can either be scanned or manually entered into the system. If a parent or guardian for any reason does not have a US government-issued ID, the school staff member can use any form of identification and manually enter the person’s name into the Raptor system. The Raptor system will check to ensure that registered sexual offenders are not entering our school campuses without our knowledge. The Raptor system checks the visitor's name and date of birth for comparison with a national database of registered sex offenders. The registered sex offender database is the only official database checked by the Raptor system. No other data from the ID is gathered or recorded and the information is not shared with any outside agency. Once entry is approved, Raptor will issue a badge that identifies the visitor, the date, and the purpose of his/her visit. A visitor’s badge will not be necessary for those who visit our schools simply to drop off an item in the office or pick up paperwork.
The safety of our students is our highest priority and the Raptor visitor management system allows us to quickly identify those that may present a danger to our students. Thank you in advance for your understanding and your support in enhancing the school safety protocols in our district.
Breakfast and Lunch 2023-2024
- Breakfast and lunch options are available for all students this year. Please visit Maschio's website for updated menus and other important information.
- Snacks will be available for purchase starting the week of September 18. Ice cream treats will be available of a specific day of the week. (TBD)
- Kindergarten Parents: Please pack your child's lunch during the month of September as we allow our students time to get acclimated to our lunch routines and procedures. Please prepare your child for lunch by helping them open containers.
- For safety purposes, please refrain from sending in glass bottles or glass tupperware.
EXPANDED FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH PROGRAM
This year, NJ expanded its program so that more families can qualify for free school meals. Even if your family has not qualified in the past, you may now qualify under this new program. The application is linked below:
From Our PTO
2023-2024 Executive Board
Co-President: Lauren Levin
Co-President: Christina Eliades
Co-Vice President: Alyssa Kayser
Co-Vice President: Caitlin Ryan Persche
Treasurer: Katherine Sun
C0-Secretary: Laura Parker
C0-Secretary: Jaclyn Wenstrom
If you have any questions or would like to join the PTO please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org