Month of Caring
West Ottawa High School
#WOcares - WO Students Giving Big
Each year, WOHS Student Senate organizes a Month of Caring during December. The month is filled with student led initiatives that result in WO students giving back to the community in tremendous amounts. This year the events can be tracked on social media at #WOcares. A huge thank you to the teachers that sponsor Student Senate, along with National Honor Society and Cultural Technological Environmental Exchange, WO Girls Basketball and the entire WO community for making the following events possible:
- Food drive class competition with winning class being recognized at assembly
- Over 100 children from the district will receive gifts as part of the Adopt-a-Child campaign
- "Stuff the Bus" will be held on December 6, 2014 at Family Fare and D&W to collect food/goods for the Community Action House
- First ever Senior Survivor will run the week of December 15-19, and a major component of the Survivor challenges will be to raise money for local charity
- #WOcares Winter Clothing Giveaway made possible by an alumni donor will occur on Saturday, December 20 at the high school and is open to the entire community
An all school assembly will be held on Friday, December 19, to celebrate the WOHS Month of Caring.
As a result of all of these efforts we are expecting over 5,000 lbs of groceries to be delivered to the Community Action House, over 100 children will receive gifts, the WOHS food pantry replenished, a new When in Need charitable account will be created for the high school and $10,000 worth of winter clothing will be distributed to children throughout the community.