Alexis Wilkerson pd 1
organelle description/structure function present in
- Cell Membrane: is the thin membrane composed of lipids and protein, that surround the cytoplasm of a cell and controls the passage of substances into and out the cell (can be found in both animal and plants)
- Cell Wall: is the outer layer of a cell , esp the structure in a plant cell that consists of cellulose, lignin,etc and gives mechanical support to the cell (plants)
- Cytoplasm: the cell substance between the cell membrane and the nucleus containing the cytosol organelles, cytoskeleton and varlous particles
- Nucleus: a specialized, usually spherical mass of protoplasm encased in a double membrane, and found in most living eukaryotic cells, directing their growth, metabolism, and reproduction, and functioning in the transmission of genic characters.(animal)
- Nuclear Membrane: the double membrane surrounding the nucleus within a cell
- Nucleolus: a small rounded body within a resting nucleus that contains RNA and proteins and is involved in the production of ribosomes
- Centrioles: a small, cylindrical cell organelle, seen near the nucleus in the cytoplasm of most eukaryotic cells, that divides in perpendicular fashion during mitosis, the new pair of centrioles moving ahead of the spindle to opposite poles of the cell as the cell divides
- Chromatin: the readily stainable substance of a cell nucleus, consisting of DNA, RNA, and various proteins, that forms chromosomes during cell division.(animals)
- Ribosomes: a tiny, somewhat mitten-shaped organelle occurring in great numbers in the cell cytoplasm either freely, in small clusters, or attached to the outer surfaces of endoplasmic reticula, and functioning as the site of protein manufacture.
- Golgi apparatus: A network of stacked membranous vesicles present in most living cells that functions in the formation of secretions within the cell
- Endoplasmic Reticulum: a network of membranous tubules within the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell, continuous with the nuclear membrane. It usually has ribosomes attached and is involved in protein and lipid synthesis.
- Mitochondria: an organelle found in large numbers in most cells, in which the biochemical processes of respiration and energy production occur. It has a double membrane, the inner layer being folded inward to form layers
- Chloroplast: (in green plant cells) a plastid that contains chlorophyll and in which photosynthesis takes place.
- Lysosomes: an organelle in the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells containing degradative enzymes enclosed in a membrane
- Peroxisomes: a small organelle that is present in the cytoplasm of many cells and that contains the reducing enzyme catalase and usually some oxidases.
- Vacuole: a space or vesicle within the cytoplasm of a cell, enclosed by a membrane and typically containing fluid.
- Cytoskeleton:a microscopic network of protein filaments and tubules in the cytoplasm of many living cells, giving them shape and coherence.