News from the Studio
Visual Arts Incorporated
The visual arts are a vital part of every student’s education. The visual arts promote creative thinking, self-esteem, and discipline, which are necessary requirements for learning in all subject areas.
The visual arts allow students to develop their imagination, problem solving techniques, and critical thinking skills. These skills ultimately enhance their ability to adapt to various situations, their capacity to use good judgment, their comprehension of alternate solutions, and their openness to different views and opinions. Students will utilize these skills in becoming effective individuals in an interdependent society. The visual arts prepare students to:
· Develop increasing abilities to pose insightful questions about contexts, processes and criteria for evaluation.
· Develop deeper and more profound photographic works that reflect the maturation of their creative and problem solving skills.
· Develop vocabularies and concepts associated with various art processes and techniques.
· Apply art media, techniques, and processes to their photographic artworks.
· Understand the multifaceted interplay of different media, styles, and forms, techniques, and processes in the creation of their work.
· Relate understandings about the historical and cultural contexts of art to situations in contemporary life.
BHS Visual Arts Course Offerings
· Introduction to Art
· Photography I & II
· Advanced Drawing
· Painting & 2D
· Ceramics & Sculpture
· Advanced Placement Studio Art (grades 11-12 only)
· UConn Early College Experience Drawing I (grades 11-12 only)
Upcoming museum trip
Seeking Gently Used / New Donations
- Masking Tape
- Painters Tape
- Tin Foil
- Ziploc Bags
- Small Towels / Rags
- Acid Free Mat Board
- Plastic / Paper Grocery Bags
- Fabric Softener
- Thumb Tacks
Local Resources and visual arts advocacy
New Britain Museum of American Art
Yale University Art Gallery