RSI And Ergonomics
What are they?
What is RSI?
Symptoms and Stages of Injury
- Weakness and lack of flexability in your hands or forearms
- Fatigue because of killing too many terrorists with your video game controller
- Tingling or numbness after playing Minecraft for 8 hours straight
- Heightened awareness and hypersensitivity after pulling all those dank no-scopes
Stages of RSI
There are also 3 main stages of RSI:
These may last for several weeks and symptoms may start to appear after a using a particular repetitive action for an extended period, such as spamming left-click to kill people over a 40 min match.
If the earlier symptoms are not dealt with, symptoms may persist for several months. These may include swelling, redness, warmth over the affected area and joint and muscle stiffness
At this stage, the symptoms may become constant and irreversible. Symptoms might be felt even during sleep. You might even be unable to conduct essential daily activities such as gaming.
You can improve your ergonomics by:
- Keeping your elbows at 90
- Keeping upper arms near vertical when typing
- Resting your wrists and forearms to prevent fatigue
- Eyes 18-20" or about an arm's length from the screen
- Keeping your mouse and keyboard at the same level
- Taking regular breaks from killing people in video games
Chin tucks stretch your neck muscles, and helps you maintain better posture
- Move your chin towards your chest for 5 seconds
- You should feel a slight stretch from your neck to the base of your skull
- Repeat 10 times
Neck rotations can help ease neck aches
- Keep your elbows straight to keep your shoulders from elevating
- Turn your neck so that your chin moves towards your shoulder
- Hold for 10 - 30 seconds
Neck Side Bends
Neck side bends can help decrease tightness in the sides of your neck
- Tilt your head to one side, so that your ear touches your shoulder
- Hold for 20 seconds
- Tilt your head to the other side, and repeat
You can find countless other exercises that you can do instead of being productive on the internet. They can help you exercise other muscles that weren't covered with these few examples.
To learn more
Medical News Today
"Neck Pain Prevention: Chin Tuck Exercise Video." SpineUniverse. Vertical Health, 09 June
2014. Web. 06 May 2016.
"Neck Pain Prevention: Side Bending Exercise Video." SpineUniverse. Vertical Health, 13 June 14. Web. 06 May 2016.
"Neck Rotation Stretch." Neck Rotation Stretch. Spotsinjuryclinic.net, n.d. Web. 08 May 2016.
"What is Ergonomics? - Dohrmann Consulting." Dohrmann Consulting. Dohrmann Consulting, 05 July 2014. Web. 06 May 2016
Mandal, Ananya, Dr. "Symptoms of Repetive Strain Injury (RSI). " News-Medical.net.AZoM.com,08 Aug. 2012. Web. 06 May 2016