Env. Science B Course Resources
Module 5: Water and Soil
The resources in this newsletter are in addition to those found in MODULE 5: Water and Soil of your course content. You should first go through the content and complete the quizzes and activities. These resources are to supplement your understanding of the concepts. Please contact me if you have questions!
ASSIGNMENT RESOURCES AND TIPS
LAB: Earth's Waters
- The handout for this lab can be found on page 3 of the module.
- This site (https://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx) is a great resource for creating a graph. Excel is also a popular choice. This VIDEO shows you how to create a graph with Excel.
- In the far right hand column of the data table, you should show your calculations for that row of the data table.
- Do not forget your results/conclusion statement and make sure to include answers to the four questions Results/conclusions questions in your statement.
- Answer the analysis questions and show your work if any math is needed (HINT: math is needed to answer questions 1 and 2).
ASSIGNMENT: Water Quality
- The handout for this assignment can be found on page 4 of the module.
- IMPROVING water quality is NOT the same as MONITORING water quality. Make sure you read the rubric to earn full points.
- Do NOT FORGET your Works Cited! Your Works Cited should include the links to any websites you visited conducting your research.
Lab: Cleaning Water with Dirt
- The handout for this lab can be found on page 5 of the module.
- DO NOT FORGET to measure the water before and after you filter it so you can effectively answer the second conclusion question.
- Make sure to include ALL parts (Introduction, Data, and Conclusion) in your lab report for full credit.
- The Introduction and Conclusion sections should be written in paragraph form (NO BULLETED LISTS)
Assignment: History's Harvest
- The handout for this assignment can be found on page 6 of the module.
- The video for this assignment can be found HERE.
- The table in the handout is simply for your NOTES. The actual assignment involves writing a 1-2 paragraph SUMMARY. You will not earn points for simply turning in your notes. However, you will need to turn in your KWL notes to earn full points.
- Use this RUBRIC to help you write a discussion posting that will earn full points.
- Make sure when you respond to your classmates that you post AT LEAST a 2-3 sentence response. "I agree with..." or "I disagree with..." is not enough to earn full points for a response. You must say why you agree or disagree and back up your reasoning.
Lab: Cost/Calorie Analysis of Raw Foods
- The handout for this lab can be found on page 9 of the module.
- It would be helpful to bring a calculator and a clipboard with you to the grocery store when you collect your data.
- If you take the number of calories in a serving and multiply them by the number of servings in the package, you will have the total number of calories for the package. Then you can take the cost of the package and divide it by the total number of calories in the package. This will give you the cost/calorie for the package (second to last column).
- Do not worry about the class data column. You will not be marked off for leaving this blank.
- Do not forget your proposal to feed the world's population. This should be in paragraph form with proper grammar, punctuation, etc.
Assignment: GM Foods Persuasive Essay
- The handout for this assignment can be found on page 10 of the module.
- Please read the guidelines on the handout carefully to ensure that your essay earns full points.
- If you believe the RISKS outweigh the BENEFITS, just discuss the RISKS. If you believe the BENEFITS outweigh the RISKS, just discuss the BENEFITS.
- Don't forget to list your 3 Main Points in the introduction.
- Make sure you discuss 3 Main Points (one main point/paragraph for 3 body paragraphs).
QUIZ: Water and Soil Review
- This module covered a lot of information. Please review your notes BEFORE you begin the quiz.
TEST: Water and Soil
- Check the feedback on your two quizzes from this module BEFORE you begin the test and review those weak areas BEFORE you begin the test.