August 16 Update
Note From Ms. Muehling
Important Fall Dates To Remember!
Tuesday, August 18
- Teachers' First Day of Professional Learning
- Student Supply Pickup (please see details below about specific times/days)
- Class Lists and Grade Level Schedules Posted on LT
- Teacher/Family Conferences
- Live Family Technology Support Session 10:00 am
- Live Family Technology Support Session 3:00 pm
- Zoom Principal's Coffee 10:00 am (will be recorded)
- Labor Day/Staff Holiday
- Students first day of Virtual Learning
AISD Reopening Updates
September 8-October 5
- The first day of school is Sept. 8
- The first four weeks, from Sept. 8 to Oct. 5, will be remote
- If your student needs access to technology, please contact us at 512-414-2054 or request technology on the Parent Portal as soon as possible
- Families will need to be able to get into the AISD Parent Portal and students will need to be able to get into the AISD Student Portal to access the curriculum
- All classes will use BLEND as their learning hub
- Oct. 5 to Oct. 30 will be a phase-in period
- Families will choose if they prefer on-campus or virtual learning for this period
- Families who prefer on-campus learning will be phased in
- We will continue to base our campus and district operations on the advice of health authorities
- It is important to note: even students who choose on-campus instruction may have some days where they are still doing remote learning during this period
- Another Family Survey will be sent two weeks before Oct 5 for families to request remote or campus learning
- Austin ISD families will be able to choose to go back to remote learning based on their individual comfort level
- FAQ in English and Spanish
Technology Distribution and Information
K-2nd iPad Distribution Dates/Times
- August 28 from 7:30-1:30
- August 31 from 2:00-7:00
- September 1 from 7:30-1:30
NEW 8/17** 3rd-5th Grade Chromebook Distribution
Hot Spot Distribution
Technology and Device Requests
Bring Your Own Device: Due to worldwide shortages, Austin ISD is seeing some delays in receiving Chromebooks and iPads for students. Families who would like to return their Austin ISD Chromebook or iPad and use a personal device instead can do so at our Computer Curbside locations. Doing so is entirely optional, but could help a fellow Austin ISD family that needs immediate access to technology. Please check this flyer for Computer Curbside dates, times and locations: bit.ly/aisdcomputercurbside.
Technology Requests - Parent Cloud: Families can now begin requesting technology needs using a new form in the Parent Cloud. After logging in to my.austinisd.org, search for “Technology Distribution,” and the link for the form will appear. My.austinisd.org also has a link and instructions in both English and Spanish for creating a Parent Cloud account.
Technology Requests - By Phone: Families can also request technology by calling their school or the Parent Support Line at 512-414-9187.
Live Family Tech Support Sessions
- Login support for the Portal, BLEND, LivingTree
- How to access BLEND
- How to navigate BLEND
- How to access SeeSaw (K-2)
- How to navigate SeeSaw (K-2)
- Answer any tech questions
Wednesday, August 26 at 10:00 am
Thursday, August 27 at 3:00 pm
We will also have a recorded session for families to view.
Family Supply Pickup
During the week of August 24th, families will be able to collect the following items:
Sprouts Schools Supplies
Supplies/materials from last year
Artwork (distributed throughout the year)
Yearbooks that were purchased but not picked up (Note: there are no additional yearbooks for purchase)
In order to ensure safety for all, the below protocol must be followed:
Maintain social distancing and wear a mask.
Arrive at Bryker Woods and enter the staff parking lot (off of 33rd Street); pull into a numbered parking spot.
Call the posted phone number.
When answered, please tell the staff member the first and last name of your student(s) and your parking spot number.
Wait in the parking spot.
When staff approaches, please pop the trunk or open door.
- Pick up time is between 12-3 each day
Tuesday, August 25th: Students with last names beginning with: A, B, C, D
Wednesday, August 26th: Students with last names beginning with: E, F, G, H, I, J, K
Thursday, August 27th: Students with last names beginning with: L, M, N, O, P, Q, R
Friday, August 28th: Students with last names beginning with: S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
**Please only come on your assigned day. Supplies will be pulled and organized by day.
Please reach out to Ms. Murr with any questions- email@example.com
- Class Lists will be posted on LivingTree on Aug 24 at 4:00 pm
- Class Lists will be for the first 4 weeks
- Students will have the opportunity to learn and build relationships with all teachers at their grade level
- Class Lists will likely change throughout the year as students transition between remote learning and on-campus learning
- Teacher and student groupings cannot be guaranteed due to the changing factors throughout the year
- 7:40 Morning Announcements (asynchronous)
- 7:45-8:15 Classroom Morning Meeting (synchronous)
- Special Areas-45 minutes per class (3 days of week Synchronous, 2 days a week asynchronous)
- Kinder- minimum of 60 minutes synchronous/core subjects
- 1st-5th- minimum of 90 minutes synchronous/core subjects
- Each class will have various small group synchronous times to provide individualized supports
- Recess 30 minutes per class
- Lunch 30 minutes per class
- Office Hours 60 minutes per day
What Will School Look Like?
First Four Weeks of School
- Remote Learning will begin Tuesday, Sept 8
- 100% Online
- Students will be assigned to a Virtual Class List
- Begin at 7:40 with Morning Announcements and a synchronous Morning Meeting
- Students will have a set schedule that will include core academics, recess, lunch, and specials
- AISD and teachers will be providing all curriculum for families/tutors (you will not need to create your own curriculum or lessons)
- Students will be able to interact with teachers and classmates multiple times a day through synchronous lessons
- Small group synchronous lessons will be important to support individual learning, provide one-on-one feedback and monitor student goals
- Students will work independently (away from a screen) on assigned asynchronous lessons
- Students will have specific lessons that need to be completed and submitted for feedback and a grade
- All lessons will be available on BLEND
- Daily structure and curriculum delivery will be very different from the emergency remote learning that occurred in the spring
- Students and families will receive ongoing feedback
- School Ends at 3:08
Learning Platform and Tools
- All students will access the AISD Portal daily
- All students will access BLEND (Canvas) for schedules, assignments, synchronous/asynchronous learning, links to additional resources through the AISD Portal
- All teachers will be using a common BLEND Course Template for consistency across grade levels
- BLEND will be easier to navigate than in the spring (more organized and fewer clicks)
- BLEND support/preview will be available the week of Aug10-15 from the Parent Engagement Support Office (I'll send out more information when it's received)
- K-2 will have SeeSaw embedded to support primary student learning and feedback
BW Buddy Program
As you may have suspected, this year at school is going to look a lot different...but hopefully we can find some ways to keep our Bryker Woods community strong!
One way is the new BW Buddies Program, where families new to Bryker Woods are matched with a returning "support" family via email. The support family can welcome the new family to Bryker Woods, and help answer any questions they may have. Hopefully, this partnership will make transitioning to a new school a little easier, and provide both parties with another connection during this time of distance learning.
If you are interested, you can sign up here: BW Buddies Program Sign-Up
Questions? Contact Dana Singh at firstname.lastname@example.org or through Living Tree.
Monthly PTA Meetings
- Meetings are the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm- schedule coming soon!
- Agendas posted on LT and in the front entrance of the school
- PTA minutes posted on LT, website and the front entrance of the school
How To Get Involved
Welcome Dr. Elizalde- New Superintendent
Dear Austin ISD Community,
On August 11, 2020 the Board of Trustees officially welcomed Dr. Stephanie Elizalde to Austin ISD as the new Superintendent. We are proud to have Dr. Elizalde, a talented and experienced educator, lead the Austin ISD community.
Dr. Elizalde most recently served as Chief of Schools for Dallas ISD and is a third-generation public school educator. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Biology and a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership at the University of Texas at San Antonio. She then went on to earn a Doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy from the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Elizalde’s doctoral dissertation was on the Texas school finance system and recapture.
Through her educational career, Dr. Elizalde has served in a variety of positions including teacher, assistant principal, principal, director, executive director, assistant superintendent and deputy chief. We believe her expertise in academics and her commitment to equity and excellence in education for all students are essential needs for our community at this point. She is the right leader at the right time for Austin ISD.
Dr. Elizalde was chosen after an extensive process which included stakeholder input from more than 200 organizations, 2,000 community leaders and individuals, community surveys, and community public testimony. The nationwide search included the consideration of 64 applicants from 24 states and a comprehensive candidate interview process. The community had the opportunity to engage with Dr. Elizalde through a series of meetings that covered academics, leadership, culture, equity and reopening during the 21-day waiting period.
We look forward to working together with Dr. Elizalde, and we hope you will join us in welcoming her to Austin ISD.
The Austin ISD Board of Trustees
Have a question? Use Let's Talk! to get the answers you need. Families may call the Family Support line at 512-414-9187. You can also send a Let's Talk! text to (512) 886-6434. Support is available weekdays from 7 a.m.–5 p.m.