William Shakespeare Webquest
BCCPC- English 1
Part 1: Shakespeare's Life
1. How much do we know about Shakespeare's life? Why?
2. Where was Shakespeare born?
3. What date was he born on?
4. Did Shakespeare ever get married? If so, to whom?
5. Shakespeare established himself as an ____________ and _________________
6. What day did he die? What is unusual about this date?
7. What did he leave his wife in his will?
Part 2: Religion
8. What were the two major religions in Elizabethan England?
9. Who dictated the favored religion?
10. Which Monarchs reigned during this time? When?
11. Which religion did each Monarch believe in?
12. How did each Monarch treat those who did not follow their favoured religion?
Use the website below to answer number 13
13. Why did Queen Elizabeth I ban all performances of religious plays and stories?
Part 3: Elizabethan Period
14. What was the Elizabethan Period?
15. When was this period?
16. What was the most significant invention of this time and why?
17. What did this lead to a renewed interest in?
18. During this period, what were unexplained events blamed on?
19. Why were people of this period superstitious?
Use the website below to answer number 20
20. What were the four humours and what were they associated with?
Part 4: Education
21. What did education depend on?
22. What was the main purpose of schooling?
23. Why were students taught Latin?
24. What were girls from wealthy families educated in? Click here: http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/SLT/ideas/girls.html
25. Why were courses in university conducted in Latin? Click here: http://elizabethan.org/compendium/54.html
Part 5: Elizabethan Theatre
26. What was the general feeling towards plays during this period in time?
27. What was the name of the first theatre?
28. What was the name of them most famous theatre?
29. What happened to this theatre?
30. Where did people sit or not sit?
31. When did they have performances? Why?
32. How many women performed in these plays?
33. what did the audience do if they didn't like the performance?
Part 6: Shakespeare's Influence
34. What does Shakespeare's work provide reference for?
35. What were Shakespeare's histories a tribute to?
36. What was Shakespeare attempting to do with these tributes?
Click here to answer the next questions
37. How many words did Shakespeare invent?
38. Give an example of a word or phrase we have gotten from Shakespeare.
39. Name one poet who was influenced by Shakespeare.