Week of January 6, 2014
This Week in Room 120
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday due to the cold temperatures.
- This Thursday will be the annual Gebhardt Geography Bee at 1:00. The students competing from our room will be Maren and Sawyer. Good luck to both of them!
- Friday will be a Late Start.
This week we will be looking at writing dialogue correctly. This is a difficult skill for fifth graders so we will be coming back to it often this year!
We are also going to discuss word choice this week. We will be discussing how to choose "strong verbs" and "strong nouns" to add specificity to our writing.
We attempted to completed the /oi/ sound before break but had too many interruptions. We will continue with this same principle this week:
This week we will be focusing on the /oi/ sound, which can be written oi or oy.
Some of the words we will be studying:
deploy, convoy, invoice, clairvoyant, ballpoint
We will continue working with fractions and mixed numbers this week:
- We will be working on converting mixed numbers to improper fractions and back.
- We will be working with word problems that contain mixed numbers and improper fractions.
- We will be simplifying fractions.
- We will also be ordering fractions and mixed numbers by finding equivalent fractions.