Greyhound Newsletter 10/9/20
No School October 15-16 (No Newsletter Next Week)
From the Desk of the Principal
Long Weekend Coming!
We are approaching our first long weekend of the year. There will not be new content released in Canvas that Thursday because there is no school Thursday or Friday. There won't be any NEW content for you to work on during the long weekend. If you're all caught up, take the time to relax and do other things. If you've fallen behind for any reason, this would be a great time to get caught up. If you'll be working on older modules, make sure you let your teacher know and that you'll have access to everything you'll need during that weekend. The school will be closed on those days, and they will be unavailable to answer any questions or reply to email.
The next module will open on Monday, October 19, and will close on Wednesday, October 28. There will be time built in for review, connecting with teachers, etc. (See the next section detailing "Canvas Module Open Dates" for more information.) We are working to adjust our weekly workload for students based on your feedback. It is important that you complete any exit ticket or opportunity for reflection that your teachers offer. This will help guide future modules and give us a better understanding of how long it really takes for students to complete each module.
*Look for a summary for each module now. Teachers will suggest a timeline for completion of each piece of the module. They will also be estimating how long it should take to complete. Remember that it is only an estimation. It may take individual students more or less time to complete it. This summary will help you plan out your week in a reasonable way.
Reach out if you need help! Your teachers always welcome contact from you. There is a link later in this newsletter to request an appointment with your counselor or social worker. We are here to help you in any way they can.
Take those four days and enjoy the short break. Get outside. Read a book. Reconnect with family and friends (in a socially distanced way). Enjoy the long weekend!
Canvas Module Open Dates
NO module will be new heading into a long weekend or break. Everyone needs time to relax and stay out of Canvas for awhile!
School Photo Days: October 22 and 23
1. The link to SIGN UP for a session. Please read all of the information carefully on that sign up page.
2. The link to PURCHASE photos from Lifetouch. We recommend purchasing online if possible. If you do, there is no need to bring in anything that day. If you need to send a cash or check, contact the office to pick up an order form or have one mailed to you. These forms will also be available on picture day.
Picture Day Details
- Each student should sign up for one slot. This is for grades 9-11 only. We are not taking photos for senior IDs this year; we will use the photo from their junior year.
- Masks are required and may only be removed at the direction of the photographer for the picture.
- Students will enter through the main doors and be directed by school staff to the gym. They will exit a different door after their photo and be directed to a school exit on the 40th Avenue side of the building to return to the parking lot.
- The student may not enter the school more than 5 minutes prior to their selected session and must leave the school as soon as the photo is finished. Unless there are mobility concerns, only students may enter the building.
- Bathrooms will be closed unless there is an emergency.
- Photos may be purchased online. Paper forms will be available upon arrival or by contacting the office prior to these dates.
- Any student who has symptoms or has been in contact with someone who tested positive may not participate on these dates. Re-take dates will be set for December. Please read the following document and follow the screening requirements the day of your session.
- COVID-19 Preparedness Plan for East School Photos
Click here to sign up for one slot per student. SENIORS: Do not sign up for these dates. Remember to send your grad photo to the Birchlog Yearbook (see below)
Order photos online for our school picture days, October 22 and 23. Paper forms are available by contacting the office or on photo day. *Sign up for a walk-through session spot in next week's newsletter!
Tech Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you're using a compatible browser, and keep it updated. If you use a Chromebook, you'll be in Chrome, which is great! Google Chrome also works best with Google Apps.
- Try the CARD VIEW. Many students find this less overwhelming.
- SET YOUR PREFERENCES! Are you overwhelmed with notifications? You can fix that! You can choose how often you want to be notified (daily, weekly, or not at all). Go to global navigation, click on Account, then Notifications.
- Review assignment feedback. Look for feedback or speech options next to assignments in the gradebook.
- There's an app for that! Some students find they like the app on their smartphone, but remember that it can't do everything you can do on a computer. DO NOT TAKE QUIZZES on the app.
- It may be a good idea to type your responses in a Google doc and then cut and paste into Canvas. This ensures you never accidentally lose a response if something goes wrong in the submission process.
NEW: Help Page in Canvas for East Students
This is your one stop shop for your distance learning questions! Need to request tech help, find a tutor, want to get in touch with your counselor, have a sports question, attendance question, need help clearing something up? This page will have what you need!
Click the link below to enroll in the class. All students and learning mentors are welcome!https://isd709.instructure.com/enroll/T8WT8A
Counseling Office Notes
SENIOR SURVEY: Complete by Tuesday, October 20th to be entered into a drawing for a hydro flask filled with candy!
Harbortown Rotary of Duluth is looking for applicants from the class of 2021 and 2022 for the Harbortown Junior Rotarian Program. Applicants to the program should be in good academic standing, have good attendance, and exhibit the values of a Duluth East Greyhound. Junior Rotarians are expected to participate in weekly Rotary meetings during one month of the school year. Junior Rotarians will also be expected to collaborate with each other in discussions and meetings. For more information, contact Robert Gagne in the East Counseling Office. firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, fill out the form in the link below.
Seniors: Did you know you can begin completing the FAFSA for college on October 1st? The FAFSA may qualify you to receive grants, work-study, low interest loans, and is a required document for many local scholarships.
If you have questions about the FAFSA or run into issues while completing it, you can contact any of the following financial aid experts for assistance. You/your child does not need to be planning to attend any of these colleges to ask for FAFSA assistance, they are happy to help!
CSS: email@example.com 218-723-6570
LSC: firstname.lastname@example.org 218-733-7601
UMD: email@example.com 218-726-8000
UWS: firstname.lastname@example.org 715-394-8200
FDLTCC: email@example.com 218-879-0800 x780
firstname.lastname@example.org 218-879-0800 x816
AP Students! It's time to register for your AP Exams! Deadline to register is November 12th. Click on this LINK for registration details. You need a Gmail or ISD709 email account to access this link. Email Jessica.Forsman@isd709.org if you cannot access this form.
Counseling Office Contacts:
Jenn LaBelle, Registrar: ext2143, email@example.com
Jamie Savre, Counselor (A-G): ext 2154, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Forsman, Counselor (H-N): ext 2041, email@example.com
Robert Gagne, Counselor (M-Z): ext 3032, firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to request a phone or Google Meet appointment with Mrs. Savre, Mrs. Forsman, Mr. Gagne, or Mr. Lake.
Click here to read up-to-the-minute information about what's happening in the career center. College Visits, Military Visits, Scholarships, Career Exploration, and more!
Activities Office Updates
Here are the start dates for winter activities:
- Nov 9 --- Dance
- Nov. 23 --- Boys Hockey, Boys Basketball
- Nov. 30 --- Alpine Skiing and Nordic Skiing, Boys Swimming and Diving, Girls Hockey
- Dec. 7 --- Girls Basketball
Activities Office Contacts
Alyssa Thompson, Clerical/Treasurer: ext 2304, email@example.com
Shawn Roed, Activities Director: ext 2151, firstname.lastname@example.org