We Are Together Tamanend!
November 1, 2019
Happy Halloween From Tamanend!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Red Ribbon Spirit Week--Monday, October 28--Monday, November 4
End of First Marking Period (Early Dismissal)--Monday, November 4
School Holiday (Election Day)--Tuesday, November 5
Cookie Dough Pick Up--Thursday, November 7 2:30--6:00 PM
Community Connections at Tamanend with Dr. Kopicki--Thursday, November 7 6:00 PM
Veterans' Day Assembly--Monday, November 11
Tamanend Parent Book Club--Tuesday, November 12 6:30 PM
Coffee House Concert--Friday, November 15 7:30 PM--9:30 PM
- Early Dismissal; No contests
- Staff Development; No contests
- 7th & 8th Grade Girls Basketball tryouts begin
- 8th Grade Soccer @ Snyder (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Football vs. Unami @ CB South (Away on CB South Stadium turf; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- No contests
- Congratulations to the 8th Grade Soccer Team for winning the Central Bucks postseason tournament championship!
- CONGRATULATIONS to the Varsity tennis teams who traveled to East and West to participate in the championship matches earlier this week. It was a chilly, windy day, but the Tigers fought and held their own against tough opponents from across the district. A special shout out to the following players who made it to the 2nd day of CHAMPS, and will be playing for a title in the 2019 tennis season: Tatiana B., Drew S., Ethan M. and 7th grader Mitchell R. It was a great day to end the tennis season. Tamanend is very proud of you! Great job!
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the flier below for additional information.
- There will be an informational meeting for those 7th and 8th Graders interested in wrestling for Tamanend on Friday, November 1st during Advisory in the Auditorium. If you are interested in wrestling but cannot attend the meeting, please contact Mr. Klein.
- ATTENTION WINTER ATHLETES: If you are interested in participating in a Tamanend Winter sport--GIRLS BASKETBALL, WRESTLING, BOYS BASKETBALL--there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the Winter sports season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
- For those trying out for GIRLS BASKETBALL and those planning to WRESTLE…Family ID is open. Please register as soon as possible as tryouts begin on November 6th for girls basketball and wrestling begins later in November.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the field and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
8th Boys Grade Soccer Wins the Championship!
The 8th grade soccer team won the district championship on Wednesday against Holicong. Tamanend fought back after going down twice in the game to send the match into overtime. The teams were tied 2-2 at the end of overtime. The teams were still tied after five penalty kicks. On the 6th penalty, Luke Fromal put the ball passed the Holicong goalie and Tamanend goalie Justin Margolit stopped the Holicong try. The team was lead throughout the season by captains Braeden Black and Nate MacLeod. The Tigers finished the season with a 7-2-1 record. Mr. Schmidt would like to congratulate the team and thank all the kids for putting forth their best effort every time taking the field.
The players on this year’s team were: Davlatshoh Abdullaev, Braeden Black, Michael Bullard, James Cerauli, Ben Dubashinsky, Luke Fromal, Lucas Khalife, Andrew Killenbeck, Nate MacLeod, Justin Margolit, Nick Raysky, Eli Rossi, Olex Sokol, Owen Tyson, and Connor Victor.
Way to Go Tigers!
CB South's A and AAA Ice Hockey Schedule
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Red Ribbon Spirit Week--Monday, October 28 to Monday, November 4
Hat and Glove/Mitten Collection--November 4--November 22
Reminder--Help Tamanend Honor Veterans in Our Community
As Veterans Day approaches, Tamanend Middle School would like to honor those who have served our country. On Monday, November 11th we will hold our Veterans Day Assembly. We would like this presentation to be meaningful, not just for our students, but also for local veterans in our community. As such, if you have the email addresses of friends and/or family who have served in the armed forces who may be interested in joining us that morning, please send this information to Jeff Klein (email@example.com) by November 1st. Thank you.
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is November 12
Reminder--Get Ready for the 2020 Tamanend Musical!
Attention all actors, singers, and dancers: Tamanend Players is seeking both experienced performers and newcomers to audition for our annual musical, Bye Bye Birdie, set to take place on March 13 and 14. Special thanks to 3-year Tamanend Players members Nora J., Thomas M., and Carla G. for announcing our show this past week. All interested students should plan to attend our mandatory interest meeting, which will take place on Monday, October 28, after school in the auditorium until 4:15. If you have a TMS-sponsored conflict (8th grade field hockey/soccer, tennis champs, etc), please see Mrs. Reitz in the Library as soon as possible for makeup information. We can’t wait to see you there!
Reminder--Help Us Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Kelly Ann Dolan Basketball Tournament
Thank You from the Tamanend Community Service Club
Thank you to the 28 people who donated blood at our Red Cross Blood Drive on Monday. Thank you for taking the time to help save lives!
Also, thank you to everyone who bought a bracelet, made a donation, or attended the JDRF Walk for a Cure last weekend. Tamanend raised $306 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation!
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
FROM OUR HEALTHOFFICE
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Talking to Your Kids About the Dangers of Vaping
Science News for Kids presents this article that explains the biological dangers of vaping.
What We're Talking About at Tamanend:
Advisory Lessons for next week include:
The 7th Grade is finishing up Red Ribbon Week Activities. Next week’s lessons will revolve around gratitude. There will be a Halloween candy collection and the candy will be sent to our troops with thank you letters.
8th Grade students are also finishing up Red Ribbon Week activities and collecting candy, but their lessons will be about constructing appropriate emails.
The 9th Graders will be finishing up their work during an Academic Advisory, for the end of the 1st Marking Period.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Click here to hear Posted author John David Anderson talk about this book.
Click here for audio files of the book. Steps for downloading audio files to phones:
- Go to Tamanend’s website and scroll down to "School Links."
- Click the link "One Book, One School- Posted (Audiobook)."
- Log-In using your CBSD email account and password.
- Click the Play button and enjoy!
Tips for Troubleshooting Computer Issues
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Breakfast is Served!
Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Community Connections at Tamanend with Superintendent Dr. John Kopicki
Parent Positive--Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind--November 21 at 7:00 PM
All Abilities Shopping Event--November 10
Reminder--Bucks County Student Arts Expo--November 6
Reminder--MBIT Open House
Reminder--Free YMCA Memberships for 7th Graders
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
FEAST--Feeding Everyone at Special Times
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
Please consider supporting TMS while you shop:
Giant Food Stores
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
Box Tops for Education
You can now simply scan your receipts to participate in the Box Tops 4 Education program to support Tamanend Middle School. Click on the link below to learn more:
You may also submit your receipts directly to Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office and we will scan them for you. Thank you for your support of our school.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Nov. 21st, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900