Charles Ellis Montessori Academy, March 15, 2021
To Educate The Whole Child for a Whole World
-Dr. Maria Montessori in India 1941
Words from Ms. Tanya
Weaving the Rainbow by George Ella Lyon
Paper Plate Weaving
Congratulations to 3rd grade Ellis student, Stella!
Stella won 1st place in the third grade division of the APRI Black History Month essay contest. The theme of this year's contest was "Unsung Black History Heroes" and Stella's essay was about Frederick Douglass. As winner of the third grade division, Stella won $100 and she will be featured in the local newspaper and other local media outlets. Excellent work, Stella!
Can't Connect to a Zoom Meeting? Device Running Slow?
- Clear the browser cache/cookies on a regular basis (or anytime you have connection issues) to keep your device running smoothly: Instructions for Clearing Cache/Cookies from Chrome Browser- Important: On step 3, change the time range to "All Time" instead of the "Last Hour" which is the default setting if you are clearing the cache for the first time.
- Restarting the Device: Sometimes a device needs a restart if it isn't working as it should. To do this properly, close all apps/windows/tabs and press the "Refresh" button (Circular Arrow--Top Row, fourth button from the left) and the "Power" button at the same time. The device will turn off and automatically restart.
- Shut down the device properly: We have noticed that many students just close the screen of their device to shut it down. Please get them in the habit of closing all apps/windows/tabs and holding the "Power" button down until they can select "Power Off."
PTA Shamrock Shuffle
View Coach Lesley's video and post your video here: https://flipgrid.com/shamrockshuffle
Classrooms continue to receive School Counseling Instruction virtually. Ms. Rebecca works with students both virtually and in person- socially distanced and outside. If your student needs anything, please reach out.
8th grade families, as we learn about high school info sessions, we will let you know via your teachers. So far, we are aware of the following Zoom virtual info sessions for rising 9th graders and their families. More will be coming and may be advertised directly on each high school's website.
- New Hampstead High School- Monday, March 15 at 6:30pm
- Beach High School- options- Tuesday, March 16 at 12:00 and at 5:30pm
- Jenkins High School- Tuesday, March 23 at 6:30pm
Check out the resources and activities on the School Counseling Website and reach out if you need anything!
Ms. Rebecca, School Counselor
or you can message me on ItsLearning
School-Wide Grace & Courtesy Focus
The Language for Identifying/Naming the Qualities of Compassion from the "Self- Awakened Child" series by Jonathan Wolff:
- When I care about other people as I care about myself, I am feeling Compassion.
- When I see that other people are feeling hurt or sad and I do something to help them feel better, I am acting with Compassion.
Our School Needs You!
If you have been looking for a way to be more active in our school community, now is your opportunity! Our PTA Executive Leadership Board's term is complete at the end of this school year, and we need new volunteers to step up and take the helm. We are seeking nominations for 2 Co-Presidents.
The Charles Ellis PTA organizes and raises funds to provide fun and support for our school community. Fall Festival? That's PTA. Valentine's Day Treat Bags for Teachers? That's PTA. Substantial grants for Teacher Wish Lists? PTA. Shade Trees on the playground? PTA. Classroom Air Purifiers and replacement HEPA filters. PTA provided those. Bobcat Fun Run / Dance A Thon. Most definitely PTA.
Board members serve a two-year term. After several successful years of having co-presidents, the current board can tell you that many hands make light work, and that having a partner in crime is more fun.
If you would like to nominate yourself and/or a friend, please email the Nominating Committee Chair Sarah Smith: email@example.com.
PTA Nominating Committee:
Mary Britton Senseney
Hybrid Learning Reminders
- Please place the name of your student(s) on the passenger side dashboard for morning arrival and afternoon dismissal.
- All vehicle occupants should wear masks at arrival and dismissal.
- The arrival COVID-19 assessment is on 48th Street from 7:15a.m.-7:45a.m. If you arrive later, you will need to walk your student(s) up to the front door to sign the tardy sheet and place the wrist band on your student(s) after COVID-19 assessment.
- Dismissal for car riders. Cars must travel westward from Reynolds to Habersham. Battey Avenue will not be used as an access route.
- Items cannot be dropped-off for students.
- All students returning to our school building are required to have the COVID-19 Screening Questions for Students completed and submitted by you each morning on the days they are reporting to the building.
Please use this link or the QR Code below and save this for easy accessibility each day. Siblings can be placed on one questionnaire.
Charles Ellis Night at Savannah Bananas
When: Friday, May 28th, 2021
What: Savannah Bananas game admission with unlimited hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, popcorn, cookies, soda, and water
How Much: $18 (Kids 3 and Under are free!)
Join the fun as the Savannah Bananas take on the Lexington County Blowfish! Order your all-inclusive tickets online and pick up at the game.
Gates open at 5:30pm and the game starts at 7pm.
A portion of each ticket sold at the link below will be donated to the Ellis PTA. Tickets are limited, so order today!
Order your tickets here: https://ellispta.memberhub.store/store
Ms. Ja'Dayia Coleman-Kennedy
Information Specialist Clerk
Ms. Lucy Holloway
Ms. Patricia Solomon-Brown