4th Grade Gazette
Weekly Newsletter • April 11-12, 2016
What's New This Week
SOL Resources Provided at S.T.E.A.M. Night
At S.T.E.A.M. night this week, Mrs. Anderson provided a PowerPoint presentation and distributed a wealth of resources to 4th grade parents in order to assist them in preparing their child for the upcoming 4th grade SOLs in reading, Virginia Studies, and math. If you couldn't attend, don't worry! A copy of the PowerPoint presentation will be emailed to all parents. Other packets of information were sent home in today's Friday Folders. In your child's Friday Folder today, look for the following handouts/packets:
- Grade 4 Vocabulary for Reading
- Mathematics illustrated vocabulary packet
- Virginia Studies V.I.P Bingo
- Virginia Studies Unit Study Guides: Virginia Geography; First Permanent English Settlement; Colonial Virginia; Virginia & the American Revolution; Virginia in the Civil War; Reconstruction of Virginia; 20th & 21st Century Virginia; Government and Economics of Virginia
IXL Packets for SOL Review
Biography Trading Card Project
In their Library Encore, students selected a biography book of their choice to help them research for a Biography Trading Card project. Students will create a trading card to present in class about important and interesting information they find about the person they chose to research whose life actions and commitment set an example of exemplary character. This is a research project expected to be done completely at school.
For research, students are required to:
- Choose a person based on a biography book found in the Pennington library.
- Research additional information from two websites provided by Mrs. Lahann
The trading card must include:
- full name of the person researched
- a color illustration
- five important facts, including information about the person's childhood, education, adult life, and accomplishments
- statistics about their birth, birth place, and death date (if applicable)
- a trivia question with answer
Rubrics have been provided to each student. Due dates are as follows:
Research due (reading grade) - Friday, April 15th
Rough Draft (writing grade) - Friday, April 22nd
Final copy (writing & s.s. grade) - Friday, April 29th
Next Week in Review
No Spelling or Monthly Poem this month!
Final Yearbook Sale
Yearbooks are now available for purchase online. www.ybpay.lifetouch.com
School Code: 10467416
Cost: $20.00 FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL
For an additional cost, you can choose to add upgrades to your child's yearbook, such as:
- Additional Autograph Page $1.00
- Current Events Insert $3.00
- Yearbook Stickys (removable stickers) $2.00 Gold Foil Name on Cover $5.00
Need an order form? Click on the link below.
Please contact Mrs. Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Upcoming Important Dates & Events
- April 11th - Admin/Parent Round Table Session @ 5 p.m.
- April 11th - PTO Board Meeting @ 6 p.m.
- April 11th - PTO General Meeting @ 7 p.m.
- April 15th - PTO Spirit Night
- April 15th - End of Third Grading Period
- April 18th - Teacher Work Day (No School for Students)
- April 19th -22nd -Scholastic Book Fair
- April 20th - Fosters Spirit Night
- April 23rd - PTO Spring Beautification Day 9 a.m. - Noon
- April 25th - Advisory Council Meeting @ 6 p.m.
- April 26th - Report Cards Sent Home
- April 28th - Take Your Child to Work Day
4th Grade SOL Test Dates
The test dates for the 2016 SOLs for 4th grade are as follows:
- Wednesday, May 11 - Part 1 at 12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 12 - Part 2 at 9:30 a.m.
- Friday, May 20th at 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 24th - Part 1 at 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 25th - Part 2 at 9:30 a.m.
Community Service Opportunity
Volunteer at the Miss Ability Pageant!
Pennington staff and families are teaming up to help support a charitable event in Manassas and we welcome your support. On Saturday, April 9, 2016, the Miss Ability Pageant will be held at Osbourn Park High School. This is a pageant for girls with special needs who are enrolled in Prince William County Schools. This will be our 5th pageant in Prince William County.
The pageant will showcase the talents, beauty, dreams, and abilities of young women who often spend more time in the shadows rather than in the spotlight. The goal of the Miss Ability Pageant is to help the contestants gain self-confidence, make new friends, and learn the importance of goal setting.
If you would like to volunteer to help at this event, please email Mrs. Notarantonio at email@example.com .
Parent Volunteers Needed at Scholastic Book Fair
The library is seeking parents willing to help students create wish lists, locate books, and assist with cashiering during the upcoming Scholastic Book Fair to be held from April 19-22nd. Click Here to sign up!
Friday, April 15, is Preview Day for students. Following the Teacher Work Day on Monday April 18. The Fair will open for sales Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.