By: josh peterson
Architects design structures of every type. It’s their job to make sure that the building not only looks good, but that it is functional, meets the client’s needs, and is structurally sound. This work requires both artistic talent and scientific and mathematical expertise. Architects typically start by producing drawings or sketches for new buildings or for the renovation of old buildings.
- Interns generally earn between $35,000 and $60,000 a year.
- After being an intern, most architects make between $55,000 and $120,000 a year, although some make more than this.
- The median annual income for all architects is about $73,000.
- Architects usually work in office settings where they use computer-aided design (CAD) software to design buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Some architects still work on large drafting tables, using pencils, rulers, and paper to create their designs.
- Many architects work with contractors on construction sites, making sure everything goes according to plan.
- The pressure of deadlines and unexpected delays can be stressful.Working hours vary greatly. Some architects work 7 to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week; others might work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.
- Most architects complete a 5-year Bachelor of Architecture program.
- Students can enter the bachelor program straight from high school, making it the most direct route to a career in architecture.
- Some schools offer a 2-year Master of Architecture program for students with a bachelor’s degree in an architecture-related subject.
Pros and Cons
- The pros of being an architect include having an outlet for creative expression, a legacy to a building that can outlive the architect, and a good salary.
- The cons of being an architect can include long hours, stress, deadlines, and not always having the chance to determine the ultimate design due to cost or other factors.
I am an Architect