A Team Staff News
November 23, 2022
Message from the Superintendent
A Team Staff,
It was great to see so many families attend our holiday meal last week. Thanks to our staff and food service team for helping make for a successful event at each of our sites.
This is a time to pause and reflect on what we can be grateful for. I know I am thankful to our staff who continue to dedicate themselves to the service of not only our students and families but also service to one another. I'm also grateful to our parents for their partnership in helping their children who attend Alexandria Public Schools reach their full potential.
New A-Team Members
- Sara Anderson: Cook, effective 10/24/2022
- Parker Anthony: Compass Group Leader, effective 10/12/2022
- Jillene Bantau: BCBA, effective 11/21/2022
- Kailey Behrens: Compass Group Assistant, effective 10/31/2022
- Ellie Betterman: Paraprofessional, effective 11/16/2022
- Kelly Boyden: CE Gymnastic Recreation Coach, effective 10/31/2022
- Ashton Collings: Compass Group Leader, effective 11/4/2022
- Kevin Dau: Secondary Flexible Teacher, effective 10/24/2022
- Maegan DuChene: Paraprofessional, effective 11/8/2022
- Kaley Gades: Paraprofessional, effective 11/14/2022
- Antonio Gomez: Compass Group Leader, effective 11/3/2022
- Josiah Gronholz: Compass Group Leader, effective 11/4/2022.
- Keri Haaven: Paraprofessional, effective 11/28/2022
- Jessica Hanna: Compass Group Leader, effective 11/1/2022
- Angela Johnson: Paraprofessional, effective 10/17/2022
- Angela Johnson: Compass Group Leader, effective 10/21/2022
- Kinzie Johnson: Compass Group Assistant, effective 11/8/2022
- Jennifer Jurchenko: Compass Interim Coordinator, effective 10/3/2022
- Susan Jutz: Transportation Dispatcher, effective 11/28/2022
- Sarah Kluempke: ABE Instructor, effective 11/8/2022
- Elizabeth Krafthefer: CE Lifeguard, effective 11/1/2022
- Gerald Lasser: Compass Group Assistant, effective 10/11/2022
- Brooke Leagjeld: Compass Group Assistant, effective 11/3/2022
- Victoria Meyer: Paraprofessional, effective 11/8/2022
- Jackson Miller: Compass Group Leader, effective 10/11/2022
- Janene Mogler: Custodian, effective 10/25/2022
- Caleb Moore: Compass Group Leader, effective 11/4/2022
- Stephanie Nelson: Paraprofessional, effective 10/31/2022
- Stephanie Nelson: Compass Group Leader, effective 10/31/2022
- Faith Odland: Compass Group Assistant, effective 11/4/2022
- Abbie Perry: Shenanigans Assistant, effective 11/14/2022
- Sydney Peterson: Shenanigans Assistant, effective 11/14/2022
- Alexis Roers: Compass Social Worker, effective 9/1/2022
- Cooper Running: CE Lifeguard, effective 11/2/2022
- Abigail Scheller: CE Gymnastic Recreation Coach, effective 10/31/2022
- Angela Teaser: Compass Interim Coordinator, effective 10/3/2022
- Karly Vogel: Compass Site Leader, effective 10/27/2022
- Kristin Welle: Compass Social Worker, effective 9/1/2022
- Nicole Witt: Shenanigans Assistant, effective 11/14/2022
The following staff member has submitted a letter of retirement. Thank you for your service and dedication to the students and families of Alexandria Public Schools.
- Barbara Hedstrom: Paraprofessional, effective 12/31/2022 [date of hire: 9/17/2001]
First Reading of District Policy Revisions
- Policy 209 - Code of Ethics (New Policy)
- Policy 209 - Conflict of Interest - School Board Members (being renumbered)
- Policy 215 - Addressing School Board Member Violations (New Policy)
- Policy 410 - Family and Medical Leave
- Policy 415 - Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults
- Policy 423 - Employee-Student Relationships
- Policy 424 - License Status
- Policy 426 - Service Animals in the School District
- Policy 427 - Workload Limits for Certain Special Education Teachers
- Policy 430 - Student Teacher and Intern Supervision
- Policy 432 - Use of Related Service Staff Such as Contracted Nurses and Other Service Providers in Alexandria Public School District
- Policy 450 - Assignment and Transfer of Personnel
- Policy 451 - Leave Request, Staff
- Policy 452 - Staff Transportation for District Purposes
- Policy 515 - Protection and Privacy of Pupil Records
The Curriculum/Policy Committee reviewed the policies at their curriculum meeting and supports the additions and revisions.
Adopt School Board Policies
- Policy 409 - Employee Publication, Instructional Materials, Inventions, Creations and Presentations
- Policy 411 - Employment Procedures
- Policy 412 - Training of New Employees
- Policy 417 - Chemical Use and Abuse
- Policy 418 - Drug-Free Workplace/Drug-Free School
- Policy 419 - Tobacco-Free Environment; Possession and Use of Tobacco, Tobacco-Related Devices and Electronic Delivery Devices; Vaping Awareness and Prevention Instruction
- Policy 420/540 - Students and Employees with Sexually Transmitted Infections and Diseases and Certain Other Communicable Diseases and Infectious Conditions
- Policy 421/706.1 - Gifts to Employees and School Board Members
- Policy 422 - Policies Incorporated by Reference
- Policy 472 - Employee Referral Program
- Policy 603 - Curriculum Development
- Policy 722 - Public Data Requests (renumbered from 724)
- Policy 733 - Student Transportation Safety
Other Items from the November 21, 2022 Board Meeting
- Principal Troy Wunderlich, and six staff members from Miltona Elementary shared updates on unique and engaging experiences at Miltona Science Magnet School that strengthen relationships with their students and families.
- Darcy Josephson, Asst. Superintendent - Teaching & Learning, provided an overview of the curriiculum and program modifications being proposed at Alexandria Area High School for the 2023-2024 school year. The Board approved the first reading, with a second reading anticipated at the December board meeting.
- Darcy Josephson provided an overview of the 2021-2022 World's Best Workforce Report Summary. Under Minnesota Statutes, section 120B.11, school districts are to develop a World's Best Workforce Annual Report and report summary for each school year. Prior to the board meeting, the report was reviewed by the Curriculum Advisory Council and the School Board Curriculum/Policy Committee.
- The Board adopted a resolution combining polling places for school district elections not held on the day of a statewide election. This is part of an annual process.
- Approved the work agreement for the Transportation & Paraprofessionals employee group for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 school years.
- The Board took action to award the contract for the Discovery Middle School HVAC project to Masters Plumbing & Heating of Alexandria with the lowest base bid in the amount of $2,635,000.00. ESSER funds would cover the majority of the project expenditures.
- The Board took action to reject the HVAC bid for the Garfield Elementary School project. Two contractors presented a complete proposal, but both were over the budget the Board had established. The project is not off the table. The Board has asked the administration to explore a federal Department of Energy grant as an alternate funding source.
Points of Pride
The Boys Cross Country Team took home the title of Section AA Champions and placed 9th at the State Meet.
Girls Soccer also claimed the title of Section Champions for 2022.
The Robotics Team, Team 3313 Mechatronics, hosted 24 teams for the Northern MN Robotics Conference and became the Conference Champions. They also received the Chairman’s Award - honoring the team that best embodies the mission of FIRST and represents a model for other teams to emulate.
Dec 1: Elementary Orchestra, 7 pm, DMS Gym
Dec 2: The "Snow Ball", an evening of dancing and live music. Featuring the AAHS Jazz Band, AAHS Carolers, and Katy's Swing Band. Tickets at the door - $10 adults, $5 students. Proceeds help support the AAHS Jazz Ensemble.
Dec 3: Ringin' & Swingin': The George Maurer Group Holiday Show, AAHS PAC, 7 pm. Click here to purchase tickets.
Dec 5: DMS Choir Concerts - 7th gr., 7 pm; 8th gr., 8 pm. Both concerts held in the DMS Gym.
Dec 13: DMS 6th gr. Band Concert, 7 pm, DMS Gym.
Dec 18: AAHS Christmas Concert, 3 pm & 5:30 pm, AAHS Performing Arts Center. Click here to purchase tickets.
Dec 19: School Board Meeting, District Office, 7 pm.
Dec 21: First Day of Winter
Dec 23-Jan 2: No School PreK-12; Compass Closed.
Jan 3: PreK-12 Classes Resume
Alexandria Public Schools
Our Vision is to be an extraordinary school district that tailors learning for each child, by working together!